Cornwall Football Forum

Have Falmouth Town Played In Jersey Before?

This is probably one for Mike Odgers to answer.

Noticed a thread on non league matters regarding a long forgotten competition called the Rothmans Cup. This was a knockout competition that appeared to run for four seasons between 1974/75 and 1977/78, and invited clubs from the Western, Northern, Hellenic,Isthmian, Jersey and Guernsey leagues (all of which Rothmans were the title sponsors of at the time).

In the 1977/78 competition, Falmouth won away 3-2 against First Tower United of Jersey in the first round (before losing at home to Bideford in the second round). Did Town make the trip to Jersey to play this game? If so, the upcoming match against Jersey Bulls in the last 16 of the Vase won't be Falmouth's first "overseas" match, or even first trip to the Channel Islands.

Did quick Google search of First Tower United v Falmouth Town, there is actually a matchday programme for this match on ebay!

Screenshot_20240122_152904_eBay.jpg

Nothing to do with Falmouth Town but the County Youth Under 18's have travelled to both Jersey and Guernsey in the FA County Youth Cup Competitions losing on both occasions. If my memory serves me correctly their facilities were first class . Fights from Exeter were required, glad the FA picked up the transport and hotel expenditure invoices.😀.

1 hour ago, Ian Pethick said:

This is probably one for Mike Odgers to answer.

Noticed a thread on non league matters regarding a long forgotten competition called the Rothmans Cup. This was a knockout competition that appeared to run for four seasons between 1974/75 and 1977/78, and invited clubs from the Western, Northern, Hellenic,Isthmian, Jersey and Guernsey leagues (all of which Rothmans were the title sponsors of at the time).

In the 1977/78 competition, Falmouth won away 3-2 against First Tower United of Jersey in the first round (before losing at home to Bideford in the second round). Did Town make the trip to Jersey to play this game? If so, the upcoming match against Jersey Bulls in the last 16 of the Vase won't be Falmouth's first "overseas" match, or even first trip to the Channel Islands.

Did quick Google search of First Tower United v Falmouth Town, there is actually a matchday programme for this match on ebay!

Screenshot_20240122_152904_eBay.jpg

l

a cou[le of years before i started watching town but am reliably informed they travelled out from the now defunct airport at roborough plymouth.

just the 1 sub in those days

team was

brian helley

alan morris

mervyn rich

keith manley

dave ferrett

norman ash

terry pooley   replaced by tommy gavan 2nd half

derek rickard

stuart brace

richard francis

keith sullivan

0-0 at half time 3 town goals in 2nd half scored by dave rerrett derek rickard and stuart brace

attendance was 520

1 hour ago, Numpty said:

a cou[le of years before i started watching town but am reliably informed they travelled out from the now defunct airport at roborough plymouth.

just the 1 sub in those days

team was

brian helley

alan morris

mervyn rich

keith manley

dave ferrett

norman ash

terry pooley   replaced by tommy gavan 2nd half

derek rickard

stuart brace

richard francis

keith sullivan

0-0 at half time 3 town goals in 2nd half scored by dave rerrett derek rickard and stuart brace

attendance was 520

So, they were indeed the first Cornish side to travel "overseas" by air for a competitive match.

4 hours ago, David Bray said:

Nothing to do with Falmouth Town but the County Youth Under 18's have travelled to both Jersey and Guernsey in the FA County Youth Cup Competitions losing on both occasions. If my memory serves me correctly their facilities were first class . Fights from Exeter were required, glad the FA picked up the transport and hotel expenditure invoices.😀.

l

We flew from Plymouth Dave, when they had an airport back then!