Bideford                         0-3    Westbury United

Evesham United             1-1    Hamworthy United

Larkhall Athletic             3-0    Tavistock

Melksham Town             2-0    Exmouth Town

Mousehole                     2-2    Bashley

Willand Rovers               4-0    Bishops Cleeve

Wimborne Town            2-0    Malvern Town

Yate Town                     0-1    Frome Town

Parkway off on and running with 3 goals, 3 points and the 1st clean sheet of the season against previously unbeaten Hendon. Goals came from Ryan Lane (2 from the penalty spot) and Joe Belsten.

Getting players back from injury, suspension and unavailability has obviously made a big difference. 

Mousehole 2 - 2 Bashley

1-0 Jack Calver 31, 1-1 Toby Bailey 39, 2-1 Hayden Turner 60, 2-2 Adam Grange 85 

Attendance 244

Mousehole MOTM Jack Calver, Bashley MOTM BIlly Lowes 

A hard (and fairly) fought game between two evenly-matched teams today. I thought Mousehole had the better of it in terms of chance creation but Bashley’s defence were superb throughout and their keeper (Ross Casey) was a level above anything I’ve seen over the last two seasons in the Western League. My heart says if we’d been more clinical in front of goal we’d have won 3-2 or 4-2 today but my head says a point each was about right. 

• Dave Deacon changed the title to RESULTS - Saturday 26 August 2023

Observations from  Parkway 3 Hendon 0

On the plus side, three points, clean sheet, good commitment and some decent football. However, PPFC are unlikely to face such a compliant opposition than they did yesterday. When you lose your first four league games you come across a team that concedes two penalties including one in the early minutes. The other goal was a gift from the visiting goalkeeper. To help further still two players get sent off for Hendon, including the GK some 16 minutes from time! I cannot recall  Parkes the home GK making one notable save all game.

What I do like about Parkway are the two classy full backs. Ryan Lane I thought was excellent all game and the capture of Belston makes PPFC impressive on both flanks. Both penalties looked exactly that, although I think a poor first  touch in the box from Crago for the second one made me think the chance of scoring had lessened. So maybe a penalty would have been enough rather than the visiting ‘keeper going off too

Nice to see youngster Dylan Jones get some minutes after the game was won. Understandably, Parkway took their foot off the gas late on with Hendon down to nine, with a tough trip to Tiverton to come on Monday.

All good for Parkway then? Not quite.  With Argyle playing away I thought the crowd was disappointing at 332. It was a quiet Bolitho Park too. A few around me were moaning quite a bit at Jack Crago. This is so unfair. The fella runs himself into the ground. He isn’t an out and out striker, he is a wide man! He should be feeding a decent striker, which sadly PPFC glaringly lack.

The bench looked nowhere near as strong as supporters would surely like. Matt Wright got some minutes but did nothing of note, although to be fair the game had already been sealed. Defensively all was good, but Hendon largely only weaved a few pretty patterns in areas of little danger.  Creatively, another playmaker in the River Allen mould, would give Parkway better balance to the midfield - but there aren’t too many of them about!

Hopefully a corner turned and this work-in-progress Parkway team can begin to climb the table. 

Now, for me, back to Bolitho on Monday for a game that interests me more: Truro City v Farnborough!