Cornwall Football Forum

New leagues & Junior Cup

Quick question for the group, has anyone got a slight idea on what the new leagues are going to look like? I have seen a few say that the Trelawny leagues will be taken out and new leagues formed with the Combination league also being removed. The big question I know a few of us have, how will this then look for the prestigious Junior Cup?

25 minutes ago, Redstripe said:

Quick question for the group, has anyone got a slight idea on what the new leagues are going to look like? I have seen a few say that the Trelawny leagues will be taken out and new leagues formed with the Combination league also being removed. The big question I know a few of us have, how will this then look for the prestigious Junior Cup?

Merger yes all under one umbrella. Leagues will be amended slightly to make leagues a better size so teams have a better amount of fixtures. Club secretaries will already be aware of the ideas/proposals though not confirmed yet.

Junior Cup will still take place too. Can't remember the details but I think it's still current Duchy League and Trelawney League teams, which will be the new St Piran Div2 East & West and below. (ECPL and Combo will be Div 1 East & West, with current St Piran Leagues taking on Prem in the name)

3 minutes ago, Foul Throw 3 said:

Merger yes all under one umbrella. Leagues will be amended slightly to make leagues a better size so teams have a better amount of fixtures. Club secretaries will already be aware of the ideas/proposals though not confirmed yet.

Junior Cup will still take place too. Can't remember the details but I think it's still current Duchy League and Trelawney League teams, which will be the new St Piran Div2 East & West and below. (ECPL and Combo will be Div 1 East & West, with current St Piran Leagues taking on Prem in the name)

Sounds excellent. So what about the currently Trelawny Prem & Duchy Prem teams who have finished as league winners/promotion places. I am assuming they will still be awarded the 'promotion' if you like and be put into Div 1 West/East. 

4 minutes ago, Foul Throw 3 said:

Same as above, top 3 in the combination and ECPL move in the 'Prem' bracket of the new league?

9 minutes ago, Redstripe said:

Sounds excellent. So what about the currently Trelawny Prem & Duchy Prem teams who have finished as league winners/promotion places. I am assuming they will still be awarded the 'promotion' if you like and be put into Div 1 West/East. 

Same as above, top 3 in the combination and ECPL move in the 'Prem' bracket of the new league?

The top teams from the Combo and ECPL must have applied for promotion. The difference is that the current St Piran League is a Step 7 feeder league and applications must be sorted in advance, top 5 places in the table and meet various criteria like ground grading. There are other posts this week on the forum from Steve Carpenter, he's your guru on the matter as the League Sec. I can only speak of the ECPL, and that the top 5 placing sides won't go up except North Petherwin who have applied successfully. Liskeard Res & St Blazey Res have also applied but need to improve their league position to achieve promotion so good luck to their quest except their games next Tues & Thurs!

5 hours ago, Redstripe said:

A quick and easy one to answer.  The Premier and Division One sides will play in the Intermediate Cup.  All those below that will play in the Junior Cup.  When considering the cups for the new league we didn't want to replicate those so the Premier sides will play for the League Cup and that will be countywide from round one.  Those in Division One and Two will play in the next cup (still to be named) which will be regionalized with area finals and then an East v West Final akin to the old Junior Cup format.  Those below Division Two will play in the third cup, also yet to be named, which will follow the same format as the middle cup.

4 hours ago, Redstripe said:

Yes, the clubs in the promotion places of the Duchy and Trelawny Premier Divisions will be promoted and probably some others as well.  Currently the arrangements for promotion from the ECPL and Combination are unchanged and are as described by @Foul Throw 3 above.

On 20/04/2023 at 15:30, Steve Carpenter said:

A quick and easy one to answer.  The Premier and Division One sides will play in the Intermediate Cup.  All those below that will play in the Junior Cup.  When considering the cups for the new league we didn't want to replicate those so the Premier sides will play for the League Cup and that will be countywide from round one.  Those in Division One and Two will play in the next cup (still to be named) which will be regionalized with area finals and then an East v West Final akin to the old Junior Cup format.  Those below Division Two will play in the third cup, also yet to be named, which will follow the same format as the middle cup.

Yes, the clubs in the promotion places of the Duchy and Trelawny Premier Divisions will be promoted and probably some others as well.  Currently the arrangements for promotion from the ECPL and Combination are unchanged and are as described by @Foul Throw 3 above.

Steve, on the ball as usual. Keep up the great work mate.

question on whether ground grading will still be applicable for St.Pirans league Premier division and Div one teams? Will they be the same as last couple of seasons or relaxed now amalgamating leagues?

2 hours ago, Fish said:

question on whether ground grading will still be applicable for St.Pirans league Premier division and Div one teams? Will they be the same as last couple of seasons or relaxed now amalgamating leagues?

St Piran Premier East & West definitely yes and as set by the FA.  It's likely that grading will be taken over by the Football Foundation but that's to be firmed up yet.

As I think I've said elsewhere there is no enforceable ground grading below Grade 8 (which applies to Feeder Leagues) other than those facilities that can be considered 'reasonable'.  In the proposed rules for next season we have the following:

'...... all Clubs shall provide adequate changing rooms in clean condition with hot water and toilet facilities in close proximity to their grounds.  The Management Committee shall have the power to inspect such premises in case of doubt at any time during the season. The Clubs shall be responsible for the above conditions not the landlords of the ground.  Clubs in membership as of July 2023 shall have ‘grandfather rights’ until one week prior to the AGM in 2026 by which time these standards must be met or the club shall retire from the competition.'

All teams in the Division One's that aren't known to currently meet the Grade 8 requirements will have an advisory visit to identify the work needed to get to compliance.  Similarly, all clubs promoted from Division 2 in the future will have the same advisory visit.