Cornwall Football Forum

Nice gesture by Buckland Athletic

Buckland Athletic are offering free admission on Bank Holiday Monday to Ukrainian families who have escaped the troubles and their hosts. I think this is a lovely gesture and hope it's a successful day. Hoping to make my  first match of the season, work permitting too. 

As a point of curiosity, has anyone had any dealings with a Brian Young from Looe? He has ridiculed the club for this by laughing at the fact that children can meet and train with the players. 

FB_IMG_1661510826340.jpg

1 hour ago, Buckland Jim said:

Buckland Athletic are offering free admission on Bank Holiday Monday to Ukrainian families who have escaped the troubles and their hosts. I think this is a lovely gesture and hope it's a successful day. Hoping to make my  first match of the season, work permitting too

I like that...well done.

No idea who Mr Young is but it's to be hoped that his attitude is not replicated at any football club he may frequent in his area.
Somtimes an intended attemp at ridiculing a club or its culture of helping the less fortunate, has the unintended effect of ridiculing their own offensive intentions when their comments/actions are exposed.
Good luck Buckland for your well intentioned actions !!

19 minutes ago, Postman Pat said:

Have often wondered why there are not many Eastern European players on the seen. Not a dig but there are loads in every town, is this a way to get more players involved in Cornish football?

A very interesting question, and something I have thought about. Given that as of the 2021 census there were around 15,000 Poles living in Plymouth alone, you would think that there are step 5 and step 6 (or higher) standard players in amongst them. Thought that you might start to see Eastern European teams appear in local leagues (there is an FC Romania in the Southern League).Know that Parkway had a Ukrainian player on trial in pre season, but it came to nothing.

5 hours ago, Postman Pat said:

Have often wondered why there are not many Eastern European players on the seen. Not a dig but there are loads in every town, is this a way to get more players involved in Cornish football?

Just needs one person at each club to get the ball rolling and hand out vouchers or something to someone who deals with the local Ukrainian community and maybe offer a social event at the club.  Believe I heard 40 extra people turned up from Ukraine/host families today.