Cornwall Football Forum

Junior cup godolphin v st minver @bodmin wednesday 15th 1930

St Minver 3 - 2 Godolphin Atlantic

Now, it's only my opinion but I thought this was a much better semi-final. It was a fast flowing game from the start, played mostly on the ground, better ball control from the players and plenty of incidents to keep things interesting.

St Minver looked the sharper side and went a goal up after 15 minutes. Godolphin had plenty of the play however but seemed lacking once they got into the penalty area. In three minutes of added first half time Godolphin were awarded a penalty which was calmly driven home.

I missed the early second half goal for Saints (only one barman on duty in the clubhouse delaying my re-appearance) but apparently it was an og due to a defensive mix up.

St Minver's third was also a bit fortunate, it looked like a goal keeping miscalculation shall we say from where I was.

Godolphin raised their game and eventually pulled a goal back.and it was a fairly frantic 7 minutes of added time (presumably for the never ending substitutions that are becoming part of the game now) as they tried valiantly to take the match to extra time, but it wasn't to be. One Godolphin player sent off in the dying minutes but it was generally a well tempered but hard fought encounter.

I thoroughly enjoyed it, a fair result I thought but Godolphin did themselves proud.

To answer your questions Paul, I missed the first St Minver goal and the second Godolphin one but here are Godolphin making it 1-1, St Minver making it 2-1 and 3-1.

On 16/03/2017 at 07:51, Paul Collings said:

Brilliantly captured Willow, thanks. I'm guessing the clips wont get too many views in Newquay as the G reflect on what might have been. All part of this wonderful game of ours though.

Thanks Paul. Maybe Godolphin will take it as a learning curve for the defender to leave it for the keeper who clearly called for the ball? I don't know but I'm glad I managed to get both teams scoring. It was an entertaining game although it was like watching Sunderland. When St Minver scored their third, people, Godolphin supporters probably, started to leave. I had the goal timed at (or around) 80 minutes. G pulled one back after 83 and the shocked murmurs when Ian held up the board stating 7 minutes of injury time - they would probably have been gutted if there had been an equalising goal and extra time to follow. Sadly for them it wasn't to be but both teams gave their all and it was a credit to the Duchy League. It was unfortunate that G had a player sent off. I have been to Bodmin ten times this season and have seen nine players sent off!

St Minver: 11m, 50m, 80m

Godolphin: 45+3m, 83m

2 hours ago, 8 quid said:

Been told the jnr cup final was planned for Newquay but somehow has ended up @ liskard,hardly ideal for both sides & will no doubt effect the crowd level as well .

8 quid, I understand that Newquay has a game on the Saturday and with the club in the situation it is, it was considered not to burden the club with the possibility that the pitch could be damaged. I understand that the officers of Godolphin are away and so perhaps no-one would be available to make the sure the pitch and ground facilities were  managed efficiently on the day. I understand that a function is already taking place at St Blazey so that ground is unavailable. I understand that St Austell has a game on the Saturday morning and so Poltair Park was ruled out. I understand that the Wadebridge ground was used for last season's cup final and so another venue was sought. I understand that Bodmin and Launceston were ruled out because of potential pitch issues. As a ground with floodlights is needed then Liskeard was chosen and under the circumstances there doesn't seem to be many other choices left that Cornwall F A could have made? If at the start of the season you had said to everyone involved at St Minver and St Stephen, you will play in the Junior Cup Final but it has to be played at Liskeard, do you think either club would be disappointed?

There is Truro, Penryn, Falmouth and Porthleven further down west (Helston too but they have the Senior Cup). If it was the old style Easter Monday then Helston have the facilities to host both games. Is there a date that could be fixed every year. Ie Good Friday evening or May Day Monday? The floating date means it could be changed but if it was on a dedicated day then it's easier to plan.

I just can,t believe Newquay would turn down the junior cup final if it was offered to them,they would welcome the match with open arms, I have spoken to several Newquay committee members and they have not heard Newquay have been offered the final.

On 17 March 2017 at 11:24, 8 quid said:

Been told the jnr cup final was planned for Newquay but somehow has ended up @ liskard,hardly ideal for both sides & will no doubt effect the crowd level as well .

I think Jimbos comments were right. If you'd have asked the clubs and players involved the start of the season  if they would play the JC Final at Liskeard they'd have snapped your hand off. As someone who played in the competition for years and only once ever had a decent run ( area SF ) I'd have played the final on Par track ( And I'd have walked there to play in it !! )

PS - No disrespect to Par Track - Spent many a happy afternoon down there