Cornwall Football Forum

FHFL and Mining League Merger

Comes back year after year, not many of the mining 1 teams would sustain div 1 status if the leagues merged with 10 from each league. To keep a strong competitive division 1 you would need to take 6 from mining 1 and merge with 10 from Fal/Hel 1. Then the other 6 from Fal/Hel div1 would have to merge with 6 from mining and 4 from Fal/Hel 2 to stay with a good standard. It would be interesting to say put Mawnan Division 2 side into the mining 1 for a season to give everyone some indication of standards, as Mawnan have been a top div 2 side for several years!

I think you are referring to my post General, however I will stick my head on the line by saying that after tomorrows Junior cup 2nd round MORE fal/Hel league clubs will go into the hat.Chacewater, Mawnan, Mousehole,and St Keverne are probably favourites from Fal/Hel league with an outside chance of Holman,s St Agnes,or Fal Town. From the mining league your chance lies with Portreath, outsiders Storm dark horse Robartes. My personal veiw is that Fal/Hel is much stronger overall,with many mining league club wanting to join every year,and I think i am right in saying that the mining league has put a rule in-place as clubs apply to the mining league at their agm and then if they get elected to the Fal/hel they pull out. Why are clubs doing this?

Guest postman pat

the Fal/hel league will not merge with the mining league yet because their 50th anniversary is coming up in 2years? i think. also gerald sobey will have been in office 50years as well!! love him or not that is one hell of an acheivement. :clapper::thumbsup: in bruce taylors speech at the agm he hinted as much when he also said that the mining league had just celibrated their centenary.

Topcat it is indeed I feel a mute point as many of the teams in your top tier came from Mining League, touche my fellow!

As for Mr Sobeys achievement I agree Postman Pat it is magnificent and I applaud him. But as you know we too had our Icon in Junior Football, one Arthur Pearce. I do believe his achievement to be the odd year or two....

One thing to remember topcat, I care not which division is better or not only that the future of Junior football is secured. That will only happen if it evolves.

As for the AGM thing, ours is always before yours so clubs hedge their bets. If FHL was really all that then why bother applying for a place in our league at all? Just human nature Topcat I think you will find!

It's not really about which league is the stronger, to me it's how there going to work out what team plays where & how they're gonna work it out, will they lay out some league positions the season before ie,you need to finish top 6 in mining 1 & top 10 infhl1 to play in division1 of the new league ,the rest of the teams s make div2 then work down from there....does that make sense? or do they randomly pull the teams out of a hat & make the leagues that way?

The old debate about fhl & mining & which one is better doesn't really matter because on the day anyone can beat anyone.

Good luck to everybody tomorrow by the way......heres to good results & a pint afterwards :drink:

:thumbsup: I agree with Baggie, on the day anyone can beat anyone. I've played Mining league and now in FH league and find standard pretty similar. So a merger for me would be a good idea and takes away the monotany of playing the same teams each season.

As far as I understand, the pyramid system will eventually fall down through all 24 steps of the FA grading system, and whether Mining League and Falmouth-Helston League agree or otherwise, there will need to be either a merger or strict agreement between the two leagues for promotion up to step 12 and onwards of the system.

We have heard time and time again about which league is the better. All I can say as a Mining League player and manager through and through is that this fuels competition and whenever a Mining League side is playing against a Fal-Hel side, I am sure the Mining side raises its game, purely because of the perceived 'inferiority complex' created. If this helps to inspire a more competitive game, then great!(perhaps this is why the inter-league games have faltered.....tongue firmly in cheek :P )

I have also heard about how discussions between the two leagues have fallen down due to a lack of cooperation. Each league is, I am sure, proud of its roots and traditions, and rightly so and perhaps it is this pride that gets in the way of the object - to promote and improve local football.

One thing I do believe, and bearing in mind past comments about lack of help re: websites for leagues/results etc, is that unless both leagues move forward rapidly to embrace the 21st century, they will be left behind. We are moving into a new age, and without wishing to sweep 150 years between 2 leagues under the carpet, a combination of the traditions and values of both leagues, combined with the wonders of modern technology, would be a positive statement for grass roots football in Cornwall.

As far as Topcat's point is concerned re 10 from Fal and 6 from Mining - it would be interesting how the FA considers this, given that both leagues are at the same step of the pyramid system. Who is to say that one league is stronger than another and should deserve more teams in a new league based on this? Whether this might actually be the case in practice is largely immaterial. Give it around 3 seasons and the natural order would show itself anyway.

As far as the 'rule in place', as Topcat refers to, is concerned, I'm not sure what this is. However, I have to say that the practice of teams applying to join the Mining League, attending the AGM and then the following day, toddling off to the Falmouth-Helston AGM to gain election, and then tendering a resignation from the Mining League, is pretty poor. 1) It shows no respect to the Mining League but equally, 2) It shows how the Mining League is regarded (ie as a fall-back). I don't blame these clubs for doing so, but we can all see through it! I stuck my neck on the line this season when submitting our Reserve side for election into the Mining League, stuck to my principles, and did not apply to other leagues at the same time.

The fact that many clubs have left the Mining League over the years is a credit to the Falmouth-Helston league's 'draw' of teams, but is sad for Mining League, and clearly it is a strong influence on clubs' attitudes and feelings about both leagues.

Personally i dont think you can work out which is the best league by junior cup results because they are one off games last year praze who didnt win the mining league knocked out porthleven who did win the fal hel league . i think a good idea every season until the leagues merge would be a two legged play off between the winners of each league . anyone think it would be interesting ?

If you read through old copies of the West Britain and Cornishman you will find that this topic has come up time and again from the 1960 onwards. Also there have been claims that neither league will survive without joining together.

How will a club cope if it has 3 teams playing in the 2 leagues at presesent and only one pitch to play on. The fixture secretary will have a lot of juggling around to avoid double booking the pitch. This could work if one was at home and two playing away. Also it could work if the individual divisions were smaller so the are enough saturday's to go around.

Another problem is how about promotion/relegation. Will you have say an A and B team from the same club in the same division.

The way to organise football in the county should be a pyramid system

Top would be SWPL Premier

Next step SWPL West

Below that 2 feeder leagues

Cornwall Div 1 East (Old ECPL Premier) and Cornwall Div 1 West (Old Combo League)

Next Step

Cornall Div 2 East, Cornwall Div 2 West (made up from ECPL Div 1, Duch Div1, Mining Div 1, Fal/Hel Div 1)

Then the next steps will be Div 3, 4, East and West and so on. Amalgamating all leagues in Cornwall under one umbrella.

How about a Reserves league for clubs for teams in the SWPL Premier, and SWPL Div West.

Teams such as Newquay Reserves, Falmouth Town Reserves, St Blazey Reserves, Saltash Reserves, etc.

Could call it Cornwall Reserve League Div 1 and say have a 2nd Div.

Will give teams such as Pz Reserves or Bodmin Town Reserves a chance to play other teams from the East of the County. Teams such as Pz Reserves can't take part in the Senior or Junior cup like other Combo teams so by having a separate league and say cups for reserves teams might be one idea that can be thrown into the ring.

Guest Garry Kay

The only reason FH is considered a better standard than Mining is because of the Combination League committee.

They refused election of Mining League champions Carharrack repeatedly despite a massive haul of silverware.

At the same time, FH clubs were moving on to senior football.

Other Mining League clubs started to believe senior status could never be achieved without switching to FH. Many of them did, including St Agnes and Trispen, the effect being to strengthen FH.

However, Senior status can now be achieved through the Mining League (apparently) and as a result the Mining League has got stronger.

The equality is returning between the two leagues.

Furthermore, they are both on the same tier of the pyramid so they should both supply the same number of teams to the new combined first division.

Any talk of 10 from FH and 6 from Mining is not on.

I was using the 1st 6 & 1st ten as an example of possible way of making up the new league - I know its going to be complicated making up a new league structure but you are right about the mining league Gary,

It is getting stronger,Ive noticed that over the last couple of seasons.

If it does happen do you think facilities will have any impact on the decisions?

Guest postman pat

surely with the south west premier league only just being set up proves that two similar leagues can work together to raise the standard of local football.at the end of the day it must be the players wishes that are taken into account as they are the only reason that these leagues exsist. would it not be fairer to ask all member clubs to ask their teams views on their wishes and concerns for a proposed merger as the affor mentioned league took 7 years to form i believe. this would start the ball rolling on a lengthy process.dont forget the history of these two leagues.who is going to play for which cup i.e Arthur Pearce/Percy Stephens both great compititions that i had the pleasure of playing in.they are only the top two what about the rest.it will be a nightmare for both committees because neither will want to lose face and will defend their league admirally as we will all want them to. so i fear that this subject will rumble on for a few years yet. :c::unsure::blink: :drink:

Guest postman pat

general i had the pleasure of working with the great man Arthur Pearce at Holmans back in the 1980's.i know its hard to believe but back then there was no soccer forum.every monday morning during the season we crowded into his office to find out how our opponents had got on. it is with emence pride that Titans f.c make their bow in the Arthur Pearce cup at Illogan on saturday. fond memories of a truely great man :clapper::thumbsup: :drink:

Some really interesting comments made by members. I’ll be careful what I’ll say because I know some people can get a bit upset. Again this purly my opinion, I think first of all we should express thanks to all those committee members of the FHFL and Mining League that dedicate their time and effort into running their respective leagues on a weekly basis.

We have to remember, that both leagues are on the same step, the only difference I have seen over the years is facilities, with FHFL clubs being slightly better, but a merger may see clubs improving in the result of a merger.

Both leagues have a proud history but this must not stand in the way of development, if you look at the situation with the British Army last year, it was essential for Regiments to merge with other in order to improve long term capability and the same can be said about FHFL and Mining League if West Cornwall football is to improve.

If the leagues were to merge, in my opinion this should be done as soon as possible with clubs being given two seasons notice. Once the merger comes into place, the divisional standings should be based on 50/50 split depending on where they finish at the end of the season (some might have to bite there tongue on this one), but after a few seasons we would soon see the true standings in West Cornwall bringing Cornish football into the 21st Century.

There will always be complications, however if you look at the SWPL they slowly get resolved. The FHFL committee promised to respect the clubs decisions and look to merge the leagues at the last AGM, so it will be interesting to see what progress they have made this time come June.

What do you think?

Rich