Cornwall Football Forum

Cornwall Sunday Cup semi finals

I appreciate that the Sunday Leagues are the lowest form of football (and not much money to boost the CCFA's coffers) but tomorrow is still the second biggest day in the calendar - the semi finals. I haven't seen anything advertising these games but to give credit to the teams that made it, the ties are:

TREGADILLET vs SALTASH OLD BOYS

WENDRON UNITED vs PACKHORSE ATHLETIC

I would have listed the venues but for some reason I can't find them out. Would anyone be able to help?

Thank you. Big change from the neutral venues. 

Traditionally Sunday League is the lowest form but I love it!

=====================================================================

The CCFA website is so crap and vague! :SM_carton:

Tregadillett play at Kennard's House. Where on or near the junction would the pitch be?

Thanks, I will try and find it on a better day.

Congratulations to Wendron United who beat Packhorse Athletic 3-1.

The soft pitch caused a Wendron player to be stretchered off and I hope it's not a too serious injury

Good result for Wendron, I've played against them this season as a player and referee'd them for the quarter final vs St Kew last week.

They are a very good, technical side. Their Sunday side would mount a serious threat in any of the 6 Trelawny divisions and are a credit to the Sunday League. 

Congratulations to all involved and best of luck in the final. If I haven't got a game to referee myself, I'll be up to watch the final  

Packhorse were a well organised opposition today and gave us a really good game which I am sure everyone enjoyed!

Its mentioned earlier that Sunday football is lowest form of football in Cornwall, and in so many respects that's true but all the sides that go out there all give it there best! I do however think it's a farce that for a COUNTY CUP semi final no CCFA representative came to the game and that we as the home team had to fork out over 80 quid for 4 officials, surely this is something that the FA should be contributing towards! A neutral venue would of been better for all involved and a say that as a Wendron player who had a game at home!

Another point one added is that the soft pitch caused the injury, it didnt have anything to with our player getting injured but more the angle his ankle landed, we all wish squeaky a speedy recovery!

looking forward to the final in early June the way the weather is! 

Viba la Dron!

Ahh, squeak! He done well when he come on for you guys last week. I hope it's nothing too serious.

Disappointed to hear that no one from the CCFA came over. Check the competition rules, the CCFA may pay for the officials, I'm not sure.

Totally agree with the neutral venues and with a fourth official too (and without the electronic board they have at the Junior/Senior Cup semi finals!) I'm sure the 7 or 8 people watching would have liked to have known how much injury time would be played.

Ideally, a neutral venue where both teams split the match officials fees, or better still have the CCFA stump up the cost as they insist on four officials. They even used to produce a programme once upon a time.

My apologies, I heard someone say it was because the ground was soft as the reason for the injury. Hopefully he'll be fit enough for the final.

The Sunday Cup is , quite rightly, very important to those taking part but I think most people realise that it is of modest interest to others. Unfortunately, it is not even  uncommon for the clubs involved not to be able to field a full side.

My personal memory of manning the gate at a neutral venue for one of these semis some time back is that one side had a bare eleven, there were six spectators (including the referee's mother who was doing the driving), the two host club members who spent all morning at the ground didn't sell a pot full of tea and the majority of the programmes left in the changing rooms before the game were still there when the teams had gone home.

I am not suggesting this is the same for every semi but it does indicate some of the issues on the day - and that is after the tricky task of finding a suitable venue and a club willing to host the match.

Having said that, when the decision was taken to move away from neutral venues and provide a full set of officials, i don't think the intention was for the home side to pay their fees. I think it is well worth getting in touch with Dave Bray to check this out. Even if nothing can be done this season it would be a good idea to put forward some sensible suggestions for next season.

Good luck.

The semi finals were played at a neutral venue up until 3 seasons ago but it saves the FA money to play them at a "drawn" venue. It's an odd Cup where there are several sides not affiliated to any league which makes checking up on players difficult. I get the team sheets from the CSFL of which Packhorse are one, are the players fielded registered, have they played the required number of games to be eligible? When you don't play in a league, Saltash Old Boys, Tregadillet these rules become meaningless. That is not against either of these sides as I watched the Carlyon Arms v Tregadillet tie last year and recognise several of the Tregadillet players from the Duchy Leagues. I would also disagree with the statement that Sunday football is the lowest rung. Firstly, their is no lowest rung, there is football and without that sentiment we may as well give up. Carlyon Arms are made up of Veryan players who have competed in the last 2 Junior Cup finals and I believe are the lowest placed team ever to have won it, Biscovey (Duchy Premier) and Mevagissey first and second team, I wouldn't call that a lowest rung group of players. In our league we have the 2 St Kew sides who use the clubs to bring through younger players with a view to them progressing to Saturday football.That's not the lowest rung, that's the future of football in Cornwall. If we give up on Sunday football which will be the next league to be considered "the lowest rung". 

I managed and played for the Camborne Park Sunday side that won the treble a few years back... I was very proud of that.

Teams like Wendron, Park, Truro GWRSA etc could (and could have) give most teams in the junior leagues a run for their money. 

Sunday league isn't promoted very much and there's that old cliché that it is just a couple of pub teams kicking a ball around on a hangover... Yeah sometimes you get teams like that, but when you get the teams that are taking it seriously, it is sometimes a joy to watch.

That being said, you do get some teams who take it as a joke, which is detrimental to the game. It becomes so hard to watch and/or officiate in.

Womens football is a joy to referee in. Last weekend I officiated a Women's league game between Illogan and Exeter Tedburn... The standard was better than some of the games you'd see in the Trelawny league. 

I've been playing in a striker role for a few seasons now and even I was taken aback by a few of the goals last week. Georgie/Georgia (not sure of her name), a girl that played for Illogan scored two worldies! A drive Into the top-right and then a chip from just inside the box.. It opened my eyes up to that league and the standard of some of the players.

On the subject of women's football, I recently watched the home and away games of Mullion v St Teath and the games were played in fantastic spirit. I think in the game at Mullion there were only two fouls in the first half and there was an apology on both occasions - no malice, just untimed almost accidental fouls.

Mullion had 11 plus 2/3 subs, St Teath played with 10 throughout and although both teams are near the bottom, the standard wasn't quite that of say RNAS Culdrose, Illogan or Bude but the girls played it the way the game should and it was a shame that one side had to lose.  They don't get the credit they deserve. :thumbsup:

2 minutes ago, Dange'rous said:

Complete agree, Willow. I've only officiated in two women's games this season and both have been an absolute joy.

There's something innocent about the way they play. There's few fouls, they enjoy it, smiles whatever happens. Occasionally a swear word and they kick the ball one way but it goes the other but the referees are allowed to do what they are paid to do and win or lose everyone usually goes home happy.

Oh yeah and they benefit a club with a clubhouse as they can be drinking right up until closing time!

All that said I did watch one game this season where two players were sent off for squaring up to each other. Maybe after praising them, I shouldn't have mentioned that bit! :smiley20:

On 3/6/2016 at 19:30, Paul Collings said:

The Sunday Cup is , quite rightly, very important to those taking part but I think most people realise that it is of modest interest to others. Unfortunately, it is not even  uncommon for the clubs involved not to be able to field a full side.

My personal memory of manning the gate at a neutral venue for one of these semis some time back is that one side had a bare eleven, there were six spectators (including the referee's mother who was doing the driving), the two host club members who spent all morning at the ground didn't sell a pot full of tea and the majority of the programmes left in the changing rooms before the game were still there when the teams had gone home.

I am not suggesting this is the same for every semi but it does indicate some of the issues on the day - and that is after the tricky task of finding a suitable venue and a club willing to host the match.

Having said that, when the decision was taken to move away from neutral venues and provide a full set of officials, i don't think the intention was for the home side to pay their fees. I think it is well worth getting in touch with Dave Bray to check this out. Even if nothing can be done this season it would be a good idea to put forward some sensible suggestions for next season.

Good luck.

The 'home club ' pays in full the expenses entitled to the Match Officials. Then they must then submit a receipt covering those expenses to the CCFA Office, Once this has been checked and verified they will be reimbursed in full  c/o the CCFA. 

This system also works for the Semi Finals of Under 16 'Luke Trophy' and Under 18 'Rathbone Trophy'.