Cornwall Football Forum

Excitement in the East and West

What a great season it has been in the East and West leagues for the title, and for the bottom few.

West going down to last games yesterday and the East run in all going down the Appledore and Tavi final games at home against Brixham and Sidmouth. 

For me, Tavi should win it now having the better goal advantage and that Brixham will be a tough test for Appledore anyway. 

I will be an interested onlooker for Helston next season to see if their promising players can cut it in the top league against the best.

Is it just me or has the Prem division been a bit predictable and void of much drama excluding the FA Vase runs? Bovey were condemned to relegation early on and it was always clear St Austell would end up high and dry.

The top division has been poor for several reasons. Maybe the Western leagues need to be merged with the SWPL to bring promotion in and mix the best sides up a bit. Else we could end up with this every season with little to get people excited. Take out St Austell and Parkway and the attendances look like their dropping year on year. 

The top division has been poor for several reasons. Maybe the Western leagues need to be merged with the SWPL to bring promotion in and mix the best sides up a bit. Else we could end up with this every season with little to get people excited. Take out St Austell and Parkway and the attendances look like their dropping year on year. 

​I wouldn't say the quality is less, in fact I think the SWPL standard is actually very high for step 6 level. It just seems its been too predictable at the top with St Austell. I do just wonder what Saltash could have done if their whole squad were committed. Hopefully next season someone will challenge to make it a bit spicy!

From the supporters continued interest in their team, it would be an advantage if the infamous swpl officials fixture matches on a home and away basis as much as possible. To fixture a team for 4 to 5 away matches together does little to continue the support. I appreciate that the occasional cup match might break the chain but more effort and thought should be put into this.