Cornwall Football Forum

This is this weeks non-league gossip sent to me via the Bulls News, a blog about all things Hereford.

Look at the first piece and see how much Torquay are paying their players in the Football Conference, National.

Do you think that local footballers in Cornwall earn too much?

Torquay boss Chris Hargreaves says the side he fielded at the weekend had an average wage of £375 a week. They beat Kidderminster 2-1 to end a run of six games without a win.

Cardiff side Grange Quins have withdrawn from the Welsh League. They were a Welsh Premier side in 2006 but finances since had seen then drop down to the fourth tier.

Darlington's plans to return to the town have been boosted after they raised the money needed to bring Darlington RFC's ground up to scratch. The funding includes a £150,000 grant from the Football Foundation to bring the ground up to the C grading for the Northern Premier League, with the club hoping to raise a further £75,000 for the summer works to increase grading to B for Conf North standard.

Northern League side Celtic Nation are on the brink of collapse after their financial backers pulled out. Millionaire Frank Lynch left last summer after paying Football League wages to attract players, but gates have dropped from 1,000 to 50 leaving the club facing an end of month deadline to find a new backer. Near neighbours Carlisle City have already taken over the lease to their Gillford Park home.

Carlisle's Supporters Trust has been asked to cut it's shareholding in the club from 25.4% to 10%. The proposal comes from a local businessman who says he has investors ready to put £800,000 into the club, but for whom the Trust's holding bars investment. Carlisle's Trust has 300 members but proposals are on the table to enrol all the club's season ticket holders as members in future.

Former Bull Adam Bartlett will be out for a length of time due to an unspecified 'internal injury' picked up in Gateshead's weekend game with Dover at the weekend. The Heed have signed Sunderland youngster Joel Dixon as cover for the rest of the season as a result.
Edited by cornishteddyboy

In answer to your question posed at the top of this thread - Undoubtedly yes. In response to your second post regarding the petition on grassroots funding from the Premier League, you can understand their reluctance if the funding goes no further than to line the pockets of third rate S.W.P.L. players with inflated "inducements/expenses/wages" call it what you will!

In order to receive funding from the FA a club would need to produce a lengthy document outlining how and where the money will be spent. This would never include any player expenses but soley to improve facilities and infrastructure of the club. Having sat in on the meetings thereafter you must then justify your expenditure against what you have been given and your development plan. 

This is this weeks non-league gossip sent to me via the Bulls News, a blog about all things Hereford.

Look at the first piece and see how much Torquay are paying their players in the Football Conference, National.

Torquay boss Chris Hargreaves says the side he fielded at the weekend had an average wage of £375 a week. They beat Kidderminster 2-1 to end a run of six games without a win.

Cardiff side Grange Quins have withdrawn from the Welsh League. They were a Welsh Premier side in 2006 but finances since had seen then drop down to the fourth tier.

Darlington's plans to return to the town have been boosted after they raised the money needed to bring Darlington RFC's ground up to scratch. The funding includes a £150,000 grant from the Football Foundation to bring the ground up to the C grading for the Northern Premier League, with the club hoping to raise a further £75,000 for the summer works to increase grading to B for Conf North standard.

Northern League side Celtic Nation are on the brink of collapse after their financial backers pulled out. Millionaire Frank Lynch left last summer after paying Football League wages to attract players, but gates have dropped from 1,000 to 50 leaving the club facing an end of month deadline to find a new backer. Near neighbours Carlisle City have already taken over the lease to their Gillford Park home.

Carlisle's Supporters Trust has been asked to cut it's shareholding in the club from 25.4% to 10%. The proposal comes from a local businessman who says he has investors ready to put £800,000 into the club, but for whom the Trust's holding bars investment. Carlisle's Trust has 300 members but proposals are on the table to enrol all the club's season ticket holders as members in future.

Former Bull Adam Bartlett will be out for a length of time due to an unspecified 'internal injury' picked up in Gateshead's weekend game with Dover at the weekend. The Heed have signed Sunderland youngster Joel Dixon as cover for the rest of the season as a result.

​Regarding local football in Cornwall - surely it's the value that a club puts on a player that dictates the amount they pay him. A supporters view may differ regarding the player's value and I would imagine the wage is, or should be, under review season by season.

Many years ago, whilst playing for Porthleven, I foolishly told a loyal Porthleven supporter, (who on many occasions passed on his opinion of my performance to me, whether I wanted it or not) how much in 'expenses' I got for a particular game.

He converted the amount from £s into pence and duly told me that even in pence I would not represent value for money. 

​Regarding local football in Cornwall - surely it's the value that a club puts on a player that dictates the amount they pay him. A supporters view may differ regarding the player's value and I would imagine the wage is, or should be, under review season by season.

Many years ago, whilst playing for Porthleven, I foolishly told a loyal Porthleven supporter, (who on many occasions passed on his opinion of my performance to me, whether I wanted it or not) how much in 'expenses' I got for a particular game.

He converted the amount from £s into pence and duly told me that even in pence I would not represent value for money. 

​Even in pence you were over paid Andy mate hahaha

Edited by Denty01
spoke to soon

​Cheeky sod!

I also remember playing for Port, at PZ on the last evening game of the season (when Pz were bottom of the SW League) losing one nil and a certain manager came in the dressing room after the game, threw the expenses on the table, and said (along with a few other words not printable) " if you think you deserve it, then pick it up!"

Fortunately I was passed mine by a former Falmouth legend (who usually wore the No10), saying " well, we didn't mean to loose !"

​Cheeky sod!

I also remember playing for Port, at PZ on the last evening game of the season (when Pz were bottom of the SW League) losing one nil and a certain manager came in the dressing room after the game, threw the expenses on the table, and said (along with a few other words not printable) " if you think you deserve it, then pick it up!"

Fortunately I was passed mine by a former Falmouth legend (who usually wore the No10), saying " well, we didn't mean to loose !"

The only reason he passed you yours Andy was that he didn't want to be the only one to pick his up, he needed it to buy his cigarettes mate