Cornwall Football Forum

Cornwall Senior Cup quarter finals - Sat Feb 14th 2015

Godolphin 2-0 Launceston. Phil Lowry and Tom Smith . Latter header was adjudged to have crossed the line by assistant and photo evidence confirmed he was correct. Launceston captain red carded late on in a quite feisty game with referee being over keen to explain himself to players and thus losing some authority.

Another semi-final for the G boys! A trophy would be an excellent reward for their progress and efforts and also the commitment of the back room team.

What a performance from the lads. So proud of all involved at Wendron. Officials, stewards, fans, players and management. Conducted themselves superbly and a top effort all around.
On the field, perhaps in my claret and blue tinted glasses, I thought we were much the better side. We really dominated proceedings, especially in the first half. Every single one of the boys gave it their all, and I really don't think there was a single Callington player that I would have had wearing a Wendron shirt today.
Went 1 down after about 20mins with a deflected shot. Totally against run of play but their number 11, who was a threat all day, hit it well.
We equalised through Miles from a corner.
Miles then missed a pen in the second half.
Went 2-1 from another corner, this time a Justin Searle finish.
A few minutes later Callington equalised. Looked to be direct from a free kick but am told he forward got a touch. Switched off completely. Was debatable free kick but that's the way it goes.
Still had miutliple chances to win it at the final whistle and again in ET. Bothe teams hitting the bar too.
Penalties are penalties and there is always going to be a hero/villain.
The lads were fantastic. Let's keep it going for he league cup and league. We played some cracking stuff and did more than hold our own.
Thanks to Callington-best of luck in the semis.
Well officiated today. Did a great job I think. Don't like to see players booked but how Cally's number 6 wasn't is beyond me. Several reckless tackles from him and an elbow too. Good footballer though.
All the best. Thanks to those who made the trip. We hope you enjoyed your day.

Have to agree WendronOfficial you played really well today. No doubt Paul will be pleased with the all-round team performance, at the same time as thinking missed too many chances in the first half.

Who would have thought of Justin Miles having a penalty saved. Mind you, he made no mistake with the one in the shoot-out! Blasted that one!

All in all, every player can be pleased with their performance while Callington's manager Lee Beer will just be happy that his side made the semi-finals!

Just back from Wendron....

Based on that performance, I'm sure that Wendron, who played really well, would give most SWPremL teams a tough game at Underlane, and you can see how they have scored so many goals in the Combination  as they get the ball forward so quickly.

Wendron's penalty certainly very debatable  from a Callington viewpoint, but justice done with a good save from Sam Borthwick !

Must praise the Callington players for their spirit and determination in what was always going to be a very tricky fixture, and in holding their nerve in the penalty shoot out.

Well done to Lee, management team and players !

Game played in a good spirit, good luck to Wendron in their quest for honours and entry to the SWPL, where they would be a great addition no doubt

Good day - thanks !

Dobwalls 0 St.Blazey 2

Not a lot between the two teams on the day, from when I saw Blazey earlier in the season they appear to have lost a few key players.. Dobwalls had a very good chance to take the lead in the first half but Lawrence shot over from 6 yards.. St. Blazey then had the upper hand as Dobwalls appeared happy to sit back and hit St. Blazey on the break. However the plan went awry in the 53rd minute when Cotton beat his own goalie with a header he would have been proud of if done at the other end. The lead was then extended when St. Blazey scored direct from a free kick on the edge of the Dobwalls penalty area, curled nicely into the top corner of the net.

Overall St. Blazey deserved to win in my opinion but I think Dobwalls gave them a little too much respect and possibly should have had more of a go at them, disappointed to note that only 5 or 6 of their players came back to the pub after the game and as far as I am aware the manager and committee did not. Can only assume they had to rush home as they seemed to be a good bunch, shame they could not make it.

Have to agree with most of that. You'd never no it was a senior cup quarter final. It was cold miserable and the match was even worse. Almost had a pre season feel to it. Felt exactly the same when we played Probus away. I really expected the kitchen sink thrown at St Blazey but it never really happened. Surprised it was only 3 quid to get in and the programs free. These clubs are loosing out on easy money here.

St Blazey were let off with the 1st half miss but St Blazey missed at least a dozen good chances. The lack of goals has held this side back this season.

Next up in the cup a semi final against St Austell. It'll probably end up being the same night Argyle are away at Stevenage. Let's hope we keep 11 on the pitch and give a good account of ourselves against a side that should win league and cup this season.