Jump to content
Cornwall Football Forum

FHFL League and Cup Results - 29/09/07

Recommended Posts

Guest BenTimmo

Stithians Reserves 0 - 8 Helston Athletic III

Wheatley Cobb Cup

Steve Garner (5), P Jelfs, G Cross, J Head

Pity goal difference doesn't matter in cup games!

A solid result for Helston in a game that they dominated from beginning to end. After a successful formation change in their previous game to 3-5-2, this match saw the team stick with this, hoping to continue their extend their unbeaten run up to 4. Playing against a Stithians side that had lost a number of their best players to the 1st team, Helston got two goals in the opening five minutes, killing off any thoughts that Stithians may have had about getting through to the next round. From here on in it was clear that Helston had many more goals in them, and posted another two before half time, including a first goal for the club for Gavin Cross, a nicely struck shot from just outside the box. Going in at half time 4-0 up, courtesy of two from Steve Garner and one from Pete Jelfs in addition to Gavin Cross', Helston were feeling confident, but knew that in reality they could have had more.

The start of the second half saw Helston keep the ball in Stithian’s half for the opening period, but repeatedly failed to make their chances count, shots flying almost everywhere but the back of the net. Finally, another ball through to Steve Garner gave the blues a breakthrough, and let the captain notch his hat trick. The game opened up more after that goal, with Stithians throwing caution to the wind and trying simply to get on the score sheet to keep some pride. An injury to the home side didn’t help, forcing them to play the last half hour of the match with 10 men, and Helston made them pay, with a rare goal from centre back Jason Head underlining their dominance. Stithians got their only significant shots on goal during a brief spell of pressure, stinging Helston keeper Carl’s hands on a couple of occasions. The goalkeeper was then called into action when the home side were given a soft penalty, but a brilliant stop from Carl kept Helston's clean sheet intact. In the closing stages though, the blues put Stithians to the sword with two more goals from Steve Garner to wrap up an easy win. A good performance for Helston, but in reality it could and should have been even more emphatic.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest Postie Pidge

I held the ball most of the time - except for my Massimo Taibi impression!

And shouldn't it be Cury 2-5 Culdrose?

I think I heard Falmouth Town 2-0 Frogpool but not sure

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Div 1- St Agnes 0 Helston 4

M.Goldsworthy 2



Well done to Helston. You have got a good team there and deserved your win.

We didn't help ourselves by pumping the ball down to your 2 big centre backs all game

which they cleared easy. Well done and good luck for the season

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Pidge your right it was Cury 2-5 Culdrose

The serviceman travelled to the fantastic facilities at Cury, (No Showers, Dog S*** on the pitch, grass roots football at it's very best!!!)

Cury started brightly and caught Culdrose napping and were 2-0 up within 15 minutes however Culdrose started to take control and had the game level by half time and began to pass the ball better in the 2nd half scoring 3 and should have had more.

Culdrose entertain Four Lanes next week as the Junior Cup 1st Round kicks in to gear

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest Clancy Von-Heffenburger

Mawnan 8 - 1 hayle

Greggy Renfree (3)

Paul Murray

The earl of Chris

DJ Whatmore

Damien Stevens

Ollie Miller

Good game boys, bring on the New Park Rangers in the Junior Cup!!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Lanner 1-mawgan 6

Lanner started the afternoon looking a little bemused as the mawgan players all turned up wearing their cup frocks and dresses.

This was a competative game between 2 in form teams. Mawgan did their usual trick and gave the opposition a one goal head start with one of the most bizarre own goals i have ever seen but after that they clicked into gear with some good 1 and 2 touch football. the equaliser came after about 10 mins with Matt Ruse thundering an unstoppable shot into the top corner. Mawgan then took the lead through Steven (spike) Hughes with a low shot past the Lanner keeper. Martin Mcphilbin then hit the inside of the post after a mazy run with Ruse hammering home the rebound. Lanner came out in the second half and had a real go at Mawgan but the beat up keeper Dan Fleming kept them at bay with some good saves.but the game was effectively over when Ruse grabbed his hat-trick goal curling the ball round the keeper with his left foot. Further goals came through good finishes from Ben Trerise and Ben (the Duke) Earl to give Mawgan the scoreline they probably deserved.

Although he conceded 6 the Lanner Keeper had an outstanding game.

thanks to Lanner for there hospitality and for putting up with what must have been a gruesome sight of us in our outfits, especially Eddie Stewart and the Duke in their size 10 slapper dresses. :thumbsup:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest keir dent




Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Create New...