Cornwall Football Forum

Malabar?

Guest TruroLad

Guest TruroLad

i was wondering about the old malabar football team, how good they were and how succesful?

my dad, uncle and a few of their friends used to play for them and spoke about their trips to play teams like hendon.

anyone know anything?

be here all day pidge!!!! anything you want to know trurolad,just send me a pm.im signed off work until monday.ill and bored!!!! malabar was a great club,should never have folded.if they could have owned their own ground,would have won the combo minimum.loads of good players came out the club.a few of the legends are regulars on cornish soccer forum!!! won the fhl 1 and junior cup but didnt get voted into combo league a couple of times,and just gave up on it.such a shame.would have gone up automatic these days,like kev did with port last season.all the sides that go up more than hold their own.had some great times,helped a shy 13 year old grow up quickly!! remember the hendon trip.lost 5-1,i scored a diving header in the last few minutes on the old astroturf pitch.cut my knees to ribbons and wished i never bothered!!!anyway,boring myself now!great club with lovely people,won loads,and all the stories are probably true trurolad!!! MALABAR FOREVER!!! :clapper::D:c::thumbsup: :yahoo:

NO PITCH THERE ANYMORE CHARLEY.JUST AN OLD DUMP I THINK?WASNT FAR OFF BEFORE SF WAS IT!!LIKE YOU SAID,MASSIVE PITCH.SAME MEASUREMENTS AS THE OLD WEMBLEY!THAT WAS THE SECOND PITCH WE HAD AT BALDHU.WE HAD ONE ACROSS THE ROAD WHEN THE CLUB FIRST STARTED.HAD MY FIRST MENS GAME THERE,12 YEARS OLD!LEFT WING!WOULDNT BE ALLOWED THESE DAYS!!?? HAD SOME GREAT BLOKES LOOKING AFTER ME THOUGH!!! THEN A FEW YEARS AT MALPAS PARK.BEGINNING OF THE END REALLY.IF I EVER WIN THE LOTTERY I,LL START THE CLUB UP AGAIN!!! AINT BOUGHT A TICKET FOR 3 WEEKS THOUGH SO NOT MUCH CHANCE OF THAT!!! COLOURS WERE GREEN AND BLACK PIDGE,AWAY KIT WHITE WITH GREEN/BLACK TRIM.IF THERES A NICE FARMER IN THE TRURO AREA WITH A SPARE FIELD(PREFERBLY FLAT!)WE,LL START THE CLUB UP AGAIN!!??? OR A MR HEANEY TYPE CHARACTER!!? OR MAYBE ITS BEST LEFT TO THE GREAT PEOPLE AND MEMORIES WE HAD BEFORE????? :drink::c::clapper: :yahoo:

Mark,

Refresh my old memory with some of the names that you played with for Malabar.I can remember Johnny Verran,Pete Gunner,Paul Allen,Steve Greener,Marcus Ruddle,Haydn Jose,not sure about Tabby.....

Can also remember another Malabar team(disbanded later) who played out between Chiverton and Mount Hawke with the likes of Pete Kinsman and Dixie Devlin.

Guest Man on the Post

On 20th April 1987 Malabar played George and Dragon, (from Bodmin), in the Junior Cup Final at Mount Wise. I still have the programme, but cannot remember the score. The Malabar squad was as follows:-

MANAGER: A. Channon

SQUAD: R. Wignall, A. Allen, P. Hunt, S. Bluer, S. Williams, P. Penhaligon, I. Penrose,

P. Allen, A, Penrose, G. Pascoe, J. Verran, C. Venton, H. Jose, D. Downing and S. Tregear.

REFEREE: Bruce Taylor. LINESMEN: Dennis May and Maureen Jones.

Rappo had obviously gone on to bigger and better things by then.

Whatever happened to Maureen Jones?

The Senior Cup Final that day was between Western League leaders Saltash and St. Blazey who finished runners-up in the South Western league. From memory I think St. Blazey won 1-0, (am I right?), with a truly outstanding performance from their goalkeeper – one Nigel Martyn. Saltash had Dave Philp keeping.

Guest PAZ3195

im pretty sure in saying that malabar won the fal/hel league percy stephens cup and the lockhart cup the season after winning the junior cup and without losing a single league game, some other notable players to have played, matt salmon, guy wignall, dave webb, john tyack, bernie smith, dave collings, tony penrose, kevin glasson, tommy osborne snr, ian penrose, gary pascoe, steve williams, peter hunt, andrew allen, paddy penhaligon, steve tunicliffe, paddy penhaligon, jon verran, hayden jose, steve bluer & rappo just to name a few.

Mark,

Refresh my old memory with some of the names that you played with for Malabar.I can remember Johnny Verran,Pete Gunner,Paul Allen,Steve Greener,Marcus Ruddle,Haydn Jose,not sure about Tabby.....

Can also remember another Malabar team(disbanded later) who played out between Chiverton and Mount Hawke with the likes of Pete Kinsman and Dixie Devlin.

Do you mean Steve Tabb?

Guest ginola

my buisness partner has got a big blown up picture of the first ever malabar team to win a trophy not sure which 1 though i was there in the county arms when they were formed

What happened to the Busby Gents FC a Truro area team who played Mining League football.

Does any one else remember them?

Another good team was Truro Boys Club FC

What happened to the Busby Gents FC a Truro area team who played Mining League football.

Does any one else remember them?

Another good team was Truro Boys Club FC

Guest City Legend

Trelander were started about two years after Malabar finished. I played for Trelander when they were started up in (I think) 1987/88 by Peter (Kipper) Dawes, who I believe had some involvement with Malabar. We had a bloody good side but never came close to winning the Junior Cup.

My dad was involved with Truro Boys Club, who (amongst others) had Chris Webb, Steve Tabb and Haydn Jose playing for them.

Leg.