Cornwall Football Forum

No game in September

I do apologise Darren that what ever I say seems to incur your displeasure, unfortunately you are wrong on all accounts please accept that it is possible for you to be wrong and other people can be right, if you want to treat my posts with that type of language that really say`s it all. No more posts on this from me !.

I have to agree with Ledley on this one, some of the best local referees are ex players, the players realise this and do give more respect to their decisions as they have the knowledge and experience to make hear decisions from their playing background.

Many referees who haven't played the game before make school boy mistakes which infuriate the players, not understanding what is a genuine shoulder to shoulder, 50/50s etc etc, some of the best referees in Cornwall are ex players of a decent standard, actually it would be interesting to know what the top 5-10 referees are which will undoubtably prove my point.

This is utter crap. I'm sorry but are you saying a player who retires from the game after say 30 will be a better ref than a 16 yr old. Bearing in mind they done the same course and will know the same rules. Some times ex player refs also make the mistake of missing the tricks of youngsters resulting in pens etc. We had a couple young refs last season, pre season and this season who have all been really good. As for respecting refs..... are you on crack. All refs should be shown the same degree of respect despite age, experience (as a player or not) and history. Young refs are the future and people slatting them on here will only make them wanna put the whistle in the bin and boots back on. I dont know you pointers but id guess your an older guy. Give the youngsters a chance. As for top 10 refs I could name 10 and you could and I bet we would have the names of 20 different refs. How do we rate them? What level they are at, how much experience they have or simply by word of mouth?

Ha ha you are completely contradicting yourself here?! And yes...a player who has played x30 years and then picks up the whistle will undoubtably be a batter referee than a 16 year old! Even before a referee course! You'd have to ask the question why a 16 isn't playing, so to then say he'd understand the game more than a man of 30 years experiance is ridiculous! I'm in no way ridiculing these young lads, it's great that they want to be involved and fair play, but they need more mentoring into the higher leagues.

As for which referees are in the top 10, I wasn't going to write a list I assume there is an actual list out there from last season that maybe Mr B manning could find??

What level do you HAVE to be to officiate combo football? SWPL West? And prem?

Sorry to disagree on this one, but i could name a young referee who is brilliant and because of his age he just cannot have had much playing experience and on the other hand the opposite. Unfortunately there is no hard and fast rule which say`s who will make a good referee, an example are the top flight referee`s to make the grade they need to be refereeing from an early age so they concentrate on refereeing not playing.

Fair point on the above.

Apologies for my choice of phrase but I stand by what I say. How can you respect someone who is paid to do a job yet gives a decision that he can't possibly know. Another one, a ref books a player for diving yet still gives a free kick against the defender! How can you respect that?

Not all refs are bad but like players they will all have bad games. It would just be good for some to admit it once in awhile.

Apologies again

Certainly when i was playing i there was many a time when bad decisions were given due to official not being up with play and its very difficult to make the correct judgement from 30 yards away,however because there are not to many younger and fitter people willing to take up the whistle so the more mature referee keeps turning out and enabling games to go ahead.Without these guys plenty more games would not get played.

you cant expect a 60 year old ref to be as mobile as a 30-40 year old.more youngsters needed

We can moan all we like about refs having a shocker but the more we do the less we will play!

I wouldnt say ive ever had a bad ref in all of my 12 years weather that be in combo or sunday league. Anyone thats willing to turn up what ever the weather is a good ref in my opinion!

Granted theyve got things wrong, given a throw in the wrong way, booked the wrong player and yea sometimes we all dissagree with the decision made at the time but without him/her taking centre stage wed all be sat at home watching stelling and the lads!

And in my experience.. Its normally the players going away on the losing side doing all the complaining!

Button it up, get on with your game and let the ref get on with his!

Until the final whistle where you can mark them out of 100.

Thats what its there for... USE IT!

Why don't we just elect Pointers to run the CCFA?

After all his is the only opinion that seems to matter and he just rubbishes everyone elses, the problems are so easy to fix he could have it all sorted in a matter of days!!

I seem to have hit a nerve with you son? I could do as you've stated above, but I've done my fair share over the years I'm purely trying to point others in the right direction, thank you for your kind words.

Why don't we just elect Pointers to run the CCFA?

After all his is the only opinion that seems to matter and he just rubbishes everyone elses, the problems are so easy to fix he could have it all sorted in a matter of days!!

I seem to have hit a nerve with you son? I could do as you've stated above, but I've done my fair share over the years I'm purely trying to point others in the right direction, thank you for your kind words.

Not the first time this has been suggested recently, eh Pointers :D

Lets be sensible about this. Referees at this level are paid, but it's not really a great amount. If someone said tom me "heres £25, i want you to give up your saturday afternoon, run around this field and have at least 22 blokes bemoaning and criticising what you do" I can't say I would be that tempted.

I don't usually do generalisations, but lets be honest, footballers are idiots. You find me a player at any level who hasn't appealed for a throw in that they know has come off their player, shouted incredulously at a linesman for raising his flag whilst being blissfully unaware that he was 5 yards offside, feigned a slight "tweak" or "niggle" after completely mishitting a pass or shot.

Even at international level, you see strikers wagging the finger at the linesman as they are flagged offside. TV replays show the decision was correct and nothing is said. We don't have tv replays and in general the only witnesses are the 22 moany blokes who have a biased view. So if players feel a wrong decision has been made, it doesn't necessarily mean that it has, just that the players who always feel they are being wronged object to it.

Also, on the subject of younger v experienced refs. Does a ref really need to have played the game to understand it? How many premier or FIFA refs are ex players? How many ex players do you see in the chair at Wimbledon? Cricket umpires, rugby referees, the list goes on. Ability to play the game does not equate to ability to understand the game. Referees are the same as us. We judge what we see. And what we see is slightly different to what the person next to us sees.

St Darren said that you have to earn respect, while what you are saying is there mere fact that they have played football in their past they will automatically carry respect of the players whereas a youngster wouldn't. And I think that says it all