Cornwall Football Forum

Tim Sandercombe

On the terraces it has been said Tim and the club could not agree terms, no one at the club can buck the wishes of the Administrators who are running the club and making the decisions, the terms applied whilst in administration and under an embargo are severe. If another club offers one of our players more money, we are not permitted to match or improve on that offer.

Until the club is sold, free of administration and the embargo we cannot blame anyone at the club for events we may disagree with at this time.

Just reading an article on BBC Cornwall and it has a comment referring to " Tims agent "

Does a player at that level really need an agent ?

Agents are no joke in football they have affected many clubs from Premiership to Conference.

Gone are the amateur days of the Athenian, Isthmian & Northern leagues when they topped Non League, the Premiership and Championship leagues mainly consists of players from abroad, British players are forced to drop down to the lower leagues, this has seen a vast strengthening of those leagues, it is a pack of cards senario players in the Conference now would have been playing in the Football League not that many years ago.

When we look at the level of football Truro City now play at, it is a level equal to that graced by Plymouth Argyle about 20 years ago, we only need look at the teams in the Conference to realise it's strength.

Thing is everyone is allowed an agent even the man in the workplace but are they necessary at Truro's level of football? - NO unfortunately they are there.

Having played for Athenian and Isthmian clubs many years ago + Staines town, the Conference of today is equal to the Southern League i.e. the original Wimbledon of yesterday.

So Truro's level must be equal to Athenian football. ( 3 levels below league div 4 of old.)

Can't imagine what my manager at Walton & Hersham ( the nucleus of that Wimbledon side )would have thought of agents.

Just reading an article on BBC Cornwall and it has a comment referring to " Tims agent "

Agents are no joke in football they have affected many clubs from Premiership to Conference.

Gone are the amateur days of the Athenian, Isthmian & Northern leagues when they topped Non League, the Premiership and Championship leagues mainly consists of players from abroad, British players are forced to drop down to the lower leagues, this has seen a vast strengthening of those leagues, it is a pack of cards senario players in the Conference now would have been playing in the Football League not that many years ago.

When we look at the level of football Truro City now play at, it is a level equal to that graced by Plymouth Argyle about 20 years ago, we only need look at the teams in the Conference to realise it's strength.

Thing is everyone is allowed an agent even the man in the workplace but are they necessary at Truro's level of football? - NO unfortunately they are there.

equal to the level argyle played at 20 years ago, that's an interesting statement

equal to the level argyle played at 20 years ago, that's an interesting statement

Maybe I should have said Pre Premiership although that was about the same time.

Last season 2011/2012 - 68 different nationalities were represented in the Premiership and 67 in the Championship.

There were 522 players who played in the Premiership just 212 were English (310 foreign).

There were 699 players who played in the Championship .. 312 were English (387 foreign).

With almost 700 foreign players now taking the places our players would have had all those years ago in the top two leagues, many of our players are now playing in lower leagues than they would have done then, therefore the quality of those lower leagues has improved accordingly, hence my statement about the improved standard of top non league football.

Sorry Truro would have been Isthmian level, but that league had dramatic differences in class. Enfield and Hendon who always won whilst Woking and Corinthian Casuals who didn't . Sorry I'm rambling!

Sorry I was taking the standard of football played now as opposed to then explanation in my previous posting.

I was at Wembley in 1953 watching "The Matthews Final", it lives on in folklore but the standard of football that day wouldn't hold a candle to the standard played in today's Wembley finals.

Happy Days, Corinthian Casuals, Pegasus, Wealdstone, Skelmersdale, Bishop Auckland, Enfield, Hendon, Kingstonian and many more, teams still going GREATS from the past who have seen their best days.

Surprised Mountaineer you never mentioned your own local side then Loakes Park Wycombe Wanderers who were the other " Pain " when playing Isthmian football.

The days when we held Jack Charlton's Middlesborough 0-0 and they were the leading club in England at the time.

Brucie the dog who ran up and down the terraces barking every time Wycombe scored, he was everyone's favourite

until we moved to Adams Park, some jobsworth reported him on health and safety grounds and he got red carded

sine die but consigned to the car park he still joined in to the crowds roar.

Mountaineer. I was fortunate to spend quite a few seasons at Adams Park for P A and Chiltern Radio Including covering the Sanchez cup run, now that was great fun!

When Lawrie Sanchez was there they played the Dambusters tune over the P A system each time the wanderers got a corner until the League management put a stop to it because either opposing teams or the referees complained.

I expect you remember the Wycombe band that were done away with because of what they played, 'who's the XXXXXX in the black' and 'The referees a XXXXXX' comes to mind.

I was there from 1992-93 to 2002-03 + bits. ( Millwall was my other regular side) I actually worked the Chairboys address system a couple of times whilst doing my press work as Tony was away. I do remember a cup tie against Peterbor' that was called off after halftime for ice on the pitch with Wyc 2-0 up. When it came to the 2nd game I set the score board over to my right at that score before the start. Got a few cheers! Oh and there was a B.....dy drum. That B.....dy drum!