Cornwall Football Forum

Bodmin V Elburton Villa

Just got home from a few days visiting my grandson in Bodmin. On Wednesday evening we went to watch Bodmin take on Elburton Villa. I must stress that for 26 years I was a Class 1 referee and then an assessor for 7 years. The performance of the referee (Chris Stevens) must rank as one of the worst referees I have ever seen. He lost control from the 2nd minute of the game when the Elberton no 2 stamped on a Bodmin player and he didn’t even talk to the player. On several occasions he over ruled his assistants when he was not in a better position. Any 50/50 tackles he gave to Elburton Villa, and when he did give it to Bodmin he had totally no respect for the advantage law.

The goal came from an offside decision that was not given by the assistant. The player looked offside from where I was standing and the referee was in a position to see but he waved play on after all the Bodmin players stood still and a good goal was scored. This lead to protests by the Bodmin players and one or two Bodmin players were cautioned.

Then 2 minutes later a Bodmin player was sent off for stamping on a player. This was the correct decision, but I must add that this situation came about through frustration. (The stamping was no worst that the stamping in the first 2 minutes)

The second half followed very much the same as the first. The referee’s positioning for set piece free kicks and corners was very weak on 2 occasions he stood between the ball and the sight of the goalkeeper. He didn’t run the diagonal just up and down a 10 metre channel in the middle of the field.

If there was an assessor at the game I would like to see his report on the game. It was obvious to me that either this referee is not up to the standard for this level of football or he has a grudge against Bodmin Town.

This was a game which Elburton Villa were up for and caught Bodmin without their shooting boots on. Elburton deceived to win they had several scoring changes and also missed a penalty. The game was spoilt by a very weak referee.

It is a credit to the Bodmin supporters who have not come on here and made their observations about the referee. Bodmin will not be happy about the way they played but I’m sure they will bounce back. Full credit to Elburton players they worked hard and closed players down and I’m sure that if they continue to play like that - they will upset a few more teams before the end of the season.

At the end of the day the game has come and gone. Nothing we can do now.

Please don't take anything away from the valiant Elburton performance.

Beaker - Can you please show me any where in my comments that I took anything away from the Elburton performance.

The comments made are directed at the referee (Chris Stevens)

PLEASE READ THE LAST COMMENT AGAIN

Eric, your expertise is welcomed, not all referees get things right they are human after all, I suspect Chris (ref) was not at his best due to the constant barricking and abuse he suffered at the hands of Gilby and enough to knock the confidence of even the best referees; TBH I thought he did very well under the circumstances along with linesman, Bodmin losing the game, and who were not intimidated by Bodmin as so many other refs have been in the past. Well done Chris, withstood bully boy tactics and did your job as well as you could under the tense conditions. This is just my opinion and dont mean to under value your refereeing abilities. Beaker your going soft lol! :thumbsup:

Eric Fish..... Can I ask if you are the person who I stood with all of the 2nd half and bought a pint in the clubhouse afterward? I ask as that person said to be a referees assessor 10 years ago and sat with a Bodmin Town player (possible grandson) afterwards..... If it is you, then as you know we failed to agree with each other a lot whilst watching the game..... For some we enjoyed the evening, others we didn't but I agree with Beaker that's all over with now and we all move on!

cant you just give elburton credit ?? for you to come on here and say bodmin were robbed of a result because of the ref is poor . i saw the game and bodmin should have had another player sent off . they lost their heads . . elburton wouldnt be bullied by bodmin and got the result good luck to them

I dont want to be associated by any one club and despite my preferences I enjoy football at all levels and more so as a nuetral to enjoy the efforts of both sides since people tend to be biased for selfish reasons and not for the honest endevour of all players. :c: We often miss so much more of a game when we only want one team to win.

At the end of the day the game has come and gone. Nothing we can do now.

Please don't take anything away from the valiant Elburton performance.

Beaker - Can you please show me any where in my comments that I took anything away from the Elburton performance.

The comments made are directed at the referee (Chris Stevens)

PLEASE READ THE LAST COMMENT AGAIN

I was not having a go.

Nice to see Kevin Marriotts totally unbiased report on the Bodmin, Elburton match in the Cornish Guardian. Somebody elses fault they lost apparently, and Gilby had to be restrained, would never have thought that of such a mild mannered bloke, i am very surprised.

Twice a Bodmin town player handled the ball in the box, first one that was given Levi missed the penalty to a good save from kev, then secondly correct me if I'm wrong carter handled it in the box, which I thought both the ref and officials bottled to give the 2nd pen. I you had seen the state of Tom Barwell after the game from Shane Krac and Adam carter you would be shocked.

Twice a Bodmin town player handled the ball in the box, first one that was given Levi missed the penalty to a good save from kev, then secondly correct me if I'm wrong carter handled it in the box, which I thought both the ref and officials bottled to give the 2nd pen. I you had seen the state of Tom Barwell after the game from Shane Krac and Adam carter you would be shocked.

Sorry Mr le boss, Bodmin players would never resort to foul play, must have been someone else who gave Barwell a hard time. Gilby far too controlled to let his team resort to such tactics. Read the Cornish Guardian Kevin Marriott will tell you all about it. :P