Cornwall Football Forum

Penryn ath v Falmouth ath

Im not moaning, but it seems everyone else is more interested in other clubs goings on rather than their owns. Has anyone asked the penryn manager and lads on whether they are happy to replay the fixture?

shouldnt matter

why should your club get special treatment at this time of the season

couldnt get enough players to play a game, game was cancelled, so 3 points to the opposing side!

you dont need 11 players on a team to start the game after all.

lots of other sides have fallen foul of this situation in recent weeks and see mto have just accepted it!

would you be asking for it to be replayed if you were in mid table and the game meant nothing??

i feel the answer would be a resounding NO!

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a player of Fal Athletic I can say yes even if it was a nothing game I would want it replayed for a number of reasons. Firstly because it is a big derby match, secondly to try and give a better account of ourselves after the loss we suffered to penryn just days ago and thirdly because I love football and want to play every game. If culdrose and frogpool draw Saturday the penryn and Falmouth game will be a nothing game but I would still want to play it!!

according to the full time website, penryn have been awarded the points for us 'not being able to raise a side' meaning we have now finished all our games and the league title is yet to be decided, saturday will be a big indication as to where the title will end up with 2nd culdrose place culdrose playing 3rd place frogpool, both sides are 6 points behind us with 2 games left to play, culdrose will have a better goal difference if they win both their games meaning they would win the league, frogpool could win the league still if they win both their games and score a lot of goals in the process, however, a draw this saturday would mean we win the league and there would be no cause for any sort of complaints as league rules have been applied

good luck to both sides on saturday, i think a visit to the park at frogpool with my son on saturday afternoon is in order!

in answer to bluevanmans question to fafc02, neither he nor i have the answer as to why our game wasnt played or why none of our squad was in the 1st teams squad for tuesday

Guest BenTheYeti

It's a shame this has all dragged on somewhat, and that it may cost a team who have seemed likely winners most of the season the title, but points on the board is what counts I guess!

On the matter of Frogpool vs Culdrose, a draw obviously would be good for Falmouth, but also for Wendron, who by the time those two teams line up, could be in second place in the league as they're playing us at 12.30 on Saturday. Obviously we want to win our last home game and have given everyone a run for their money at home this season, but if things go as Fal lad and Wendron wants, the league could look like this with one game to go:

1. Falmouth Ath Reserves P24 W16 D3 L5 GD38 Pts 51

2. Culdrose Reserves P23 W13 D7 L3 GD38 Pts 46

3. Frogpool P23 W13 D7 L3 GD25 Pts 46

4. Wendron United Res P23 W14 D3 L6 GD37+ Pts 45

Last game of the season.. Frogpool vs Wendron.. it's just like the Premiership :P

loads of different things could happen by saturday afternoon, at the minute we have the points on the board and that is all we can do, just got to hope results go our way and all our hard work hasnt counted for nothing

culdrose last game is hayle away and as everyone who has been down there this season will know how much of a difficult place that is to get a result, so a few twists and turns over the next 5 or 6 days and all i can do is sit, watch and hope things go our way

Guest BenTheYeti

Ah yes, the Barney Dagger factor.. I'd forgot about that!

We actually got 3 points from our visit to Hayle.. lost 5-0.. but got 3 points :D

in answer to bluevanmans question to fafc02, neither he nor i have the answer as to why our game wasnt played or why none of our squad was in the 1st teams squad for tuesday

Seems strange that no one played! At least all clubs now know what the situation is and the rules were adhered to. Looking forward to finishing the season, however it may end!

Culdrose weren't good enough to take advantage and close the gap at the top of the league as they lost to Wendron.

As have many sides this season, Wendron are 4th in the league as they are one of the best footballing side in the league!

Thanks for the belittling though soccer follower, I'm sure if results go our way this weekend I wouldn't reciprocate, well not too much anyway! Leagues are won and lost over the season, not the last few games and the eventual league winners will be deserving champions in my eyes.

I was not intending to be condescending at all bluevanman,just pointing out that if Culdrose had won the match against Wendron they would have been three points behind Falmouth Athletic with two games in hand and taken a good leap towards the league title.

Sorry if i offended you and good luck with the remaining matches .

• 2 weeks later...
Guest BenTheYeti

..and the small matter of Culdrose having to give the trophy back if Falmouth won the game! All a bit convoluted really.. I can understand why Falmouth would want to play the game, but is it now not enough that both teams (Culdrose and Falmouth) will be promoted for next season, which is what they would have both set out to achieve at the start of this season?

R u speaking for yourself this time or for Winno? your secretary tried to pull a fast one and lost out.

The CCFA were able to see all messages sent between the clubs and infact Gerald Sobey was unaware the game had being called off on the morning of ko.

NO club would fail to fill a championship fixture, i think most on here were to daft to understand rthat something underhanded was going on

I am not sure time of ko, but may the best team win fair and square on the night. will both teams play ringers or will they settle for their usual sides?

Should have Culdrose been presented with the trophy whilst this appeal was taking place?

Falmouth only need a draw to win the league. Gotta feel for the culdrose boys over this and the way it's been dragged out but I'm sure they would rather win the title on merit rather then awarded it due to the other team being deducted points

expect there could be a fairly big crowd for thursday following the publicity this has generated and it's the last fix of local football before the friendliest start (probably in two weeks time it seems these day.....enjoy a month off fellas)

the current league table can be found at the following link

http://full-time.thefa.com/ProcessPublicSelect.do?psSelectedSeason=6137566&psSelectedDivision=7151738&psSelectedCompetition=0&psSelectedLeague=3983534

Like I put on the other post Should the trophy have been presented whilst appeal was taking place?

We won the Lockhart cup only to find that Martin Galloway although was with us all season, due to work commitments he only played 4 games and we handed the trophy to Pendeen,

Topcat it seems to be getting a bit heated on this thread for you. Seems an odd decision, but after all this time the CCFA must have some very conclusive evidence to rule in favour of Falmouth, maybe someone from one of the clubs will clarify why it's being replayed at some point. Should be a good game though.

The problem is people come on here with no actual facts whatsoever. When your face to face at the county HQ they don,t care who you are or who you play for if you have broken a rule they will punish you, most people are aware of that. To prove you are innocent is very demanding you must have facts and no-one is going to come on here and publish the facts concernig their case.

Malcolm joseph phillip the facts are although the game was requested by falmouth to be rescheduled Penryn for whatever reason did,nt want this and Falmouth were unsure they could field a side Penryn called the game off thinking Falmouth could,nt raise a side and then it was too late for them to get their side together to play on the night.So now they are going to play it at Penryn this Thursday I heard through strawberry plant that because of the popularity of this game and all the fishing rods that rest on it,it,s £5 to get in but that is quite reasonable as it will be a good game to watch as both teams are very short infact I think the tallest player is Roy at 4ft 2"

Most definately Dave I now have my serious head on and this is my opinion of what I think happened from the Penryn secretarys point of veiw.

Mark would have received a call from Derek asking whether the game could be moved to a different date as with the Fal 1st team playing they probably would,nt be able to raise both sides. However the Penryn sec must have taken that has he did,nt want to change the date that Fal were infact unable to raise a side and told his players that the game was off. Then derek again phoned Mark and said that they would be fulfilling the fixture and Mark replied that he would,nt be able to get his side together quick enough as he had told them it was off.Gerald Sobey was unaware that the game was off even on the day, given t5hese facts the league awarded Penryn the points and Falmouth appealed at the appeal to-nite the ccfa were shown all messages between the two clubs and felt that it was a misunderstanding between all concerned and that the fixture should be re-fixtured which obviously is the out come. Firstly if I was in Penryns position and a club said they were going to be short and could I move the fixture I to would have declined Secondly anyone who knows Fal Ath would be aware they would have got a team together rather than lose the league by default.

Bit of a blow for Culdrose already having the cup but should it have been presented with this appeal going on? and who's to say that Falmouth will get the point they need to win the title? Just hope that neither team puts out players from their senior teams and the best team wins on the night.

Guest BenTheYeti

One wonders if this "dilemma" would have occurred had the game not been between two such close rivals..

Anyway, should be a good game on Thursday and I'm sure the forum will be buzzing with threads, comments and alike by Thursday at 9pm :P