Cornwall Football Forum

St Blazey Statement

Much has been written and said about the future of football at Blaise Park and last season none of us who work hard for the cause can enjoy what has been written at times.

It may not be common knowledge, but Glynn and Phil had the same budget from the club on the first day of the season as they did on the last.

Problems started when certain persons walked away from their undertaking to raise a portion of the budget, when we got to January the club could no longer afford to make up the shortfall, therefore had no alternative but to cut the monies.

Rumours were rife at the time that the club had spent the sponsors money on paying club accounts, this was a complete fabrication of the truth, the people responsible for these lies have no place at Blaise Park.

It was too easy to apportion the blame on the committee, who has taken a lot of stick, both on football forums and in local papers, supporters could have been better informed if the reporters bothered to establish the facts from people that knew the problems the club were experiencing at the time.

Success requires people to work for their club and be generous with their time, ideas and maybe money from time to time. This club arose from the efforts of some good hard-working people who have been with the club 30 years plus not five minutes, and made it into the club it is today, one of the most respected football clubs in Cornwall.

Time to get business minded people involved we’ve been told, if the last 30 odd years are anything to go by the right people are already in the right positions.

If we are to get back where we were, we need all pulling in the right direction and not satisfying power oriented egos, we must all make an effort to work together and stop the us and them attitude which is being promoted by certain element of supporters. The team has a core of ardent followers, much appreciated by all, but wouldn’t it be good for some of them to get involved to help get the club back where it belongs instead of criticizing at every little opportunity. It is time to help the old guard face the challenge! The priority of the Club is to keep Glynn and the team together and we know we will need some outside help to achieve this but it must not be done to the detriment of the club. Let’s leave last season behind us and start pulling in one direction and get rid of the us and them situation.

had the same budget from the club on the first day of the season as they did on the last. Problems started when certain persons walked away from their undertaking to raise a portion of the budget, when we got to January the club could no longer afford to make up the shortfall, therefore had no alternative but to cut the monies.

I'm a little confused - how can the budget had been the same the whole season if it was cut in January?

Well id imagine, for argument sake, the club were putting £200 towards the football, and sponsors adding a further £200, putting £400 towards the football team. Then with sponsors pulling out the club made up the £200 to keep the budget at £400. The club couldnt afford that long term and so the budget was dropped back to £200. What the club had put in from the start.

Happy days. :drink:

seems to me the club have made a backward step replacing the old chairman, not the most popular in some eyes but did the job. when was the last time u wopuld question what went on at blazey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! sometimes change isnt for the good

Let's state some facts.

We finished 8th (1 point off of 6th) in a very tough division and ahead of quality sides like St Austell and Penzance.

We came within a whisker of winning the Throgmorton Cup and thrashed Cornwall's second best side in the semis.

We won our last 5 games showing the kind of form which could have seen a top 3 finish.

Crisis? What crisis?

Dan i think most people buy into the stories of the issues behind the scenes @ Blazey, but the clubs had a pretty good season regardless.

I think the lads that have delivered a respectable finish under such circumstances as we are all hearing, deserve some credit.

Well id imagine, for argument sake, the club were putting £200 towards the football, and sponsors adding a further £200, putting £400 towards the football team. Then with sponsors pulling out the club made up the £200 to keep the budget at £400. The club couldnt afford that long term and so the budget was dropped back to £200. What the club had put in from the start.

Not quite the position I was told back in February Paul!

I think it's clear for all to see what a fantastic job the Management team and Players achieved at St Blazey this season in difficult circumstances. Just hope the Club realises what they've got and they sort themselves out in time for the start of the New Season!!!

Not quite the position I was told back in February Paul!

So even now that the club has come out and told the truth you still prefer to believe the tittle tattle that gets put on this sad site..Pathetic

Well firstly Tarquin Underblanket, I'm surprised you bother reading this forum if you consider it a "sad site".

However,in response to your comment, as you know there is always two sides to everything,and although I wasn't going to bring out what I know, perhaps now I should share my information on this subject.

As from what I gather the situation was, one has to question whether this statement coming out at the end of last week is perhaps a bit of a smoke screen. Perhaps some would call it a statement of guilt?

If the club are going to release statements on their club website and final home match programme, maybe the club would be better thought of from the outside world by thanking and complementing the players for sticking together and gaining a credible 8th and League Cup runners up when the expenses on offer sometimes barely covered travel costs to far away games. Particularly at a time when players are well documented to be driven by money and not their clubs!

Why can't the Committee take some blame for the situation?

After all, the players were not "paid" for any January game, after something in the region of £8,000 was raised for the season. This money was to supplement the contribution of the club. The club's contribution went from £400 in July, to £300 in August, to £200 in September, and then they used only the raised funds for October and November before floods and the freeze etc drained the lot. Perhaps what should be answered is what happened to the £200 put in for each remaining game till the end of the season placed in the Blazey coffers in Sept by the very generous sponsors. The team hardly played a game over November and December due to ice and floods, yet then in January what happened?

At the end of the day, what the club decide to put in the football team is down to the St Blazey commitee. If theres plenty of spare cash im sure the football side will get it. A great club, with an awful lot going for it. Last season is long gone, weve played some great football and reached a cup final which on another day we could have won. Roll on pre season.

So now you are calling the person who put that statement on their website a liar is that correct DD? Let us hope you have some hard evidence to back up your claims and hope its not just the usual tittle tattle that appears on this site.

It seems to me as though Mr Underblanket is taking the statement as 100% true. Funny that for someone who sits in the bar night after night running the club down. Seems to me like he is now backing the Committee which he has been criticising for many a year.

Fully understand Dave's statement and respect this site for what it is !

If you don't like it then why bother looking on here ?

So now you are calling the person who put that statement on their website a liar is that correct DD? Let us hope you have some hard evidence to back up your claims and hope its not just the usual tittle tattle that appears on this site.

It seems to me as though Mr Underblanket is taking the statement as 100% true. Funny that for someone who sits in the bar night after night running the club down. Seems to me like he is now backing the Committee which he has been criticising for many a year.

Fully understand Dave's statement and respect this site for what it is !

If you don't like it then why bother looking on here ?

Until someone can prove to me that the statement is not true(which is what basically i have asked DD to do by presenting some sort of evidence)then i will continue to believe it.As for criticising decisions made at the club ,i am a fully paid member and therefore entitled to opinions which i voice, as you are well aware having been the recipient of many of my moans(prices,facilities, etc etc) when you were on the committee.