Cornwall Football Forum

England 2010

Firstly, I will go on record to say that I will be as big a England supporter as anyone else over the next 6 weeks and hope, just like everyone else, that they can bring the World Cup back from South Africa on 11th July.

However, despite the PR guff that was rolled by all and sundry that Mr Capello did not pander to the big egos in the squad, would not shy away from the big calls and that England would all be about the team ethic, a few things over the last 3 or 4 weeks in the build up to the World Cup have given me a strong sense of deja vu!

Firstly, since we qualified so emphatically, Mr Capello has stated on numerous occasions that he will only take fully fit and in form players to the World Cup. Now, fast forward to the last couple of weeks and it appears that bold statement has gone out of the window, as, once again we spend the build up to a major tournament with a 'is he fit or isn't he' situation in Gareth Barry! The simple answer is that'he's not fit, won't have played a competitive game for 6 weeks when the tournament begins, and shouldn't be on the plane!

That brings me to players form, given the players that have played in the friendlies against Mexico & Japan, logic would indicate that Warnock, Dawson, (2 of Parker, Huddlestone & Carrick), Wright-Phillips, Johnson & Bent will be the unlucky 7 to drop out of the provisional 30-man squad. If, Mr Capello was true to his word, how can Dawson, Parker, Johnson & Bent be considered in worse form than Upson (played crap in a crap side all season, even Hammers will say that!), Joe Cole (he's been so vital to Chelsea's season they are gonna let him go on a free in the summer), Walcott (what does he actually do now apart from sit on the bench or run quickly in straight lines!) & Heskey (does he actually know what a striker is supposed to do.... it's the white posts with a net Emile!). However probably the most worrying player is our captain, Rio Ferdinand. In the two games against Mexico & Japan he has looked anything but the world class defender we saw in 2002 & 2006, he's looked slow and ponderous, and looks like a man who hasn't been fully fit for the last 12 months, is that bad back taking it's toll on him?

Lastly, what was the point in naming a 30-man squad, and then not playing untried players in the 2 warm up games (Dawson, Parker, Upson, Warnock, Johnson (5 mins at the end of Mexico)). If Mr Capello was going to do that, surely it would've better to actually name the provisional 23-man squad a couple of weeks ago and then work on patterns of play for the squad in these 2 games that have just gone by, instead using them as a glorified 'World Cup X-Factor', which has lead to two disjointed performances where potential squad memebers have been paralysed by fear of doing anything wrong.

Sorry, I take it back Mr Capello, you have used these two games to decide to use Gerrard & Lampard together in centre midfield in a 4-4-2, if Mr Barry isn't fit. Now, why didn't the previous 4 England managers try that........ oh, that's right, they have, and it never worked for them either!

As I said at the start, I hope I'm completely wrong and England bring that trophy home, but I just get the feeling that Mr Capello is starting to fall into the same trap of Sven and picking players on reputation, and not form & fitness, and we all seen how that worked in 2002 & 2006!

Mind you, what does Mr Capello care..... he's off to Internazionale next season!!! ;)

yawn

You can't fault some of the good, constructive posts that some members come up with on this forum!

Capello wont go inter next season.

He will do a fantastic job for us in SA so just go and become a sports writer now and start writing your doom and gloom guff for them.

Speculate to accumulate. :thumbsup::yahoo:

As I said twice in my original post, I sincerely hope that Mr Capello does a fantastic job in South Africa and wins the World Cup, and I will be cheering them on as loudly as the next man, irrespective of who is wearing the 3 Lions on their chest.

However, it just worries me that if you wade through all the hysteria around Mr Capello, you'll see we're going into this World Cup with the same fundamental issues of the last World Cup (which was an unmitigated flop) -

Can Gerrard & Lampard play together, and if so, in what formation?

Who partners Rooney up front?

Unfit players being shoehorned into the squad, based on their reputation!

Will Rooney keep his temper in check for (hopefully) 7 matches?

And, i'll tell you now, if we go out of the World Cup anytime before the 1/4 finals, Capello to Inter might not be such a joke as you make out! B)

Well I've said it before & I will say it again .. England will not win the WC. They will not reach the last 4. Reasons ..

No world class goalie, no world class right back, no wingers who can beat a man or score goals, JT too slow, Ferdinand not good enough, cookoo Carragher, Rooney & Glen Johnson liable to red cards for dissent. Will be interesting to see the 23 (as there are no surprises!). Get your money on Brazil to win it.

What a bunch of miserable gits you lot are.... instead of looking forward to the greatest tournament on earth you find time to just moan... plain and simple watch it and enjoy or give it a miss.

As for the commenys by PECK, i totally agree with you on the basis that some players have gone on reputation and not merit but at the end of the day it is all about the money at the FA and whose name on shirts will sell the most...ahem..

:c:

Brazil have the worst team that they have had for years. They will prob have a good world cup still but they are no where near the team that they were before. Spain easily have the best team, but apart from them we have as good a chance as anyone. Some of the players that were picked might not have played much during the two games but he would have seen them every day in training! They have not been sun bathing for the last few weeks lol. How are Chelsea letting Cole go on a free? They have said many times how much they want him to stay and he has played well during the last few weeks and is looking fresh, and if he does go other teams would be queing up for him! Plus only taking Barry if he is fit and he is worthy of his place and gives us something different in midfield.

Guest hot rod red

your correct , i also dont think we will win it , but we are 10 days from the tournement , just sit back relax and enjoy it , if your so sure we wont win it dont get so worked up by it !!! the greatest show on earth comes around every 4 years and i for one am now not interested in the politics of it all , and will just enjoy what ever progress england make in the compitition

Guest newbie

wat is everyone's problem with heskey he was used in the wrong way in the last world cup...the managers fault not his

Please explain?? is Martin oneill playing him in the wrong way aswell?? bent should have gone in place of heskey without a doubt!Also in my humble opinion johnson should be on the plane! he would have been the suprise of the tournament for me!! plus he has a quality left foot!

Good initial post Peck - but everyone gets tied up in knots about this (I guess that is the attraction). Most of us want England to win. I do. Can they win it, of course they can. Will they win it, don't know, but unlikely. Only one team can win. Ask anyone, and many people say either Brazil, Holland, Spain.....but only ONE team can win. They have all got a hard month in front of them.

Looking at the tournament as a whole, England should qualify top of their group, no matter if it was with Bent or Heskey, Gerrard/Lampard, Ferdinand/Dawson etc etc (I know who's in the squad by the way - point is it doesn’t really matter). I think we can put a team on the field in each of the 3 first round matches and get enough points to finish top of the group.

We then play second place in group D, a group that Germany should top, so we should play either Serbia or Australia. I think we can beat of either of them, so we should get through to the Quarterfinal stages, where we would probably meet (according to my calculations) France.

That's where you are meeting teams that are going to be really tough, probably in form (we should be if we get there) and anything can happen. And even if the above did happen, AND we beat France, according to my guess, either Holland or Brazil would await in the Semi Final.

There are bound to be slip-ups for "good" teams in the tournament, as well as "smaller" teams springing surprises. That is what we all like about this fantastic football competition. Whatever happens, I am going to enjoy it.

Good initial post Peck - but everyone gets tied up in knots about this (I guess that is the attraction). Most of us want England to win. I do. Can they win it, of course they can. Will they win it, don't know, but unlikely. Only one team can win. Ask anyone, and many people say either Brazil, Holland, Spain.....but only ONE team can win. They have all got a hard month in front of them.

Looking at the tournament as a whole, England should qualify top of their group, no matter if it was with Bent or Heskey, Gerrard/Lampard, Ferdinand/Dawson etc etc (I know who's in the squad by the way - point is it doesn’t really matter). I think we can put a team on the field in each of the 3 first round matches and get enough points to finish top of the group.

We then play second place in group D, a group that Germany should top, so we should play either Serbia or Australia. I think we can beat of either of them, so we should get through to the Quarterfinal stages, where we would probably meet (according to my calculations) France.

That's where you are meeting teams that are going to be really tough, probably in form (we should be if we get there) and anything can happen. And even if the above did happen, AND we beat France, according to my guess, either Holland or Brazil would await in the Semi Final.

There are bound to be slip-ups for "good" teams in the tournament, as well as "smaller" teams springing surprises. That is what we all like about this fantastic football competition. Whatever happens, I am going to enjoy it.

These are my predictions for the world cup argentina to win the tournament vs spain in the final england to get knocked out in qtr finals by spain on pens players of the tournament 1st MESSI 2ND RONALDO 3RD TORRES still think its riskey playing ledley king also we have no world class goalie joe hart is the best of the 3 but too young yet so it will be david james who makes so many mistakes.

I'm really going to enjoy this tournament - as I enjoy all the others. How well will we do? Good question! Probably quarter-finals or maybe even semi-finals. As for winning it I think that is a long-shot but you never know! I'm certainly not writing off our chances before we've even started, so I sit back and thoroughly enjoy it however well we do. Hope the weather omproves for the "England" barbeque we are going to on Saturday! :thumbsup:

Well this is what it's all about!

The sun is shining,

It's my birthday.....

And the World Cup 2010 is about to start!!! :yahoo:

I may not agree with some of Fabio's decisions, but none of that matters now! I'm right behind the manager & those 23 English players for the next 4 weeks, and hope that Stevie G has his hands on that gold trophy at around 21:30 on Sun 11th July.

C'MON ENGLAND

• 3 weeks later...