Cornwall Football Forum

Truro v Evesham

So the new day dawns just as gloomy as the last! :(

Still, it sounds like we started well, and Rome wasn't built in day, etc. We'll stay loyal, come what may, and our faith in Webby is undimmed!

From the commentary, we had most of the play, but just couldn't put it over on them; that'll happen when a team is in a rough patch, but we'll come right again.

UP THE CITY

Guest Peppermint

Very true Xembla - when a team is going through a bad patch everything seems to go against them - still I am sure it will turn around there is too much quality in the squad for that not to happen.

was there tonight and it did not look like 238.

truro may have scored in the the 4th minute but it was evesham who did all the attacking up till then.when truro got the ball on the deck they played some good football and looked dangerous. but all too often the ball was lumped up in the air.truro did not have the height up front to play this way and when they did put ash up front in the second half they did not put enough crosses into the box for him to knock down.they played like a team lacking confidence for me. was not impressed with either goalkeeper tonight.why rice tried to punch from under his crossbar when it was easier to catch for the first goal,and their keeper should have saved andy watkins header, i will never know :wacko: that said it was still good to watch live football even though it cost a tenner :c:

Well there you have it.

As soon as the club starts to struggle the floaters dont turn up.

Att 238. :SM_carton:

Too true, but we're top of our league and our crowds are still struggling!

It does amaze me how quickly Truro's crowds drop as soon as they go on a poor run. Not a dig, just an observation.

There was much discussion after the Sourbridge loss about what the crowd would be; I went with a lowball est of 99, so 238 sounds huge!

As for the hoofing it upfield, it may take awhile to overcome the bad habits of the last several months, but surely the players know how big they are? It smacks of desperation a bit, and Webby first has to calm them down and we'll get over it.

As I said in an earlier post you find out who your fans are when everything's going rear end up. Now we know. And as for the figures I do wonder if the club automatically count all the season ticket holders regardless of whether they've turned up or not because technically they have paid to get in. Perhaps sometime can confirm or deny. Had it been a Wednesday you could have blamed Xmas shopping (it's late night shopping day in Truro) but to be honest I think that for the truely uncommited on a winter night the comforts of home and football on the telly beats watching a struggling team. It's their loss.

As for the game, well for once I got to the ground 5 minutes late so didn't even have the consolation of seeing our one highlight, but I heard the cheers. When things go wrong they just go wrong - even for us regulars! As was rightly stated our confidence is shot - no surprise. It used to be if our opponents scored it was a case of "never mind, we'll just win 4-1 instead of 4-0", but now if our opponents level or go ahead it's a case of "God, that's it." And in football when a team goes on a losing run it gets like a runaway train - you just can't seem to stop it - witness Hull City last year. Great for a quarter of the season and couldn't buy a win after that.

What I can't get my head around is how a team that played so well until Maidenhead have gone so bad. It's not like we've had a rash of injuries or suspensions and it's not as if we've been unlucky. 3-5, 0-4, 2-7 are hammerings and even in a couple of the drawn games we were lucky to get away with a point - Ricey single handedly saved us in one game and Rugby (3 pts all season) could have beaten us when they hit the bar in injury time. And we're losing at home (not good) and to teams who aren't the strongest in the division.

Maybe we, the fans, had too high expectations coming into this season. Yes we knew it would be harder, but not this much harder. Maybe the players are a bit surprised as well. Maybe some of them aren't good enough now. Be interesting to see what the new boss does, though mid season may not be the best time to be moving players on. It's also interesting to look at Leatherhead who like us have had a run of promotions and who won their division last year as comfortably as we won ours. Yet their record is very similar to ours (and they've dumped their boss as well which seemed a lot harsher than us dumping McCarthy). The same has happened to FC United in the Unibond (they're in the relegation zone). Perhaps we do need a season to adapt which is why I felt that dumping Sean was maybe a tad premature.

Still never mind. Any long term fan of City has been here before, though to be honest I thought the days of one win in nine were behind us. It's all a bit nostalgic and it's a bit of nostalgia I'd rather do without!