Cornwall Football Forum

Trouble Looming in SWP 1W

The withdrawal of Wendron and the strength of the Cornwall teams in the premier division could cause some major logistical issues next season. The 16 team west division vs. the 18 team east division suggests at least one club will need to shift west next year to even the ledger. With Plymstock and Vospers Oak Villa having already moved there are no Plymouth based clubs left to transfer. Unless a club from both Combo and ECPL get promoted and Wadebridge get relegated than it appears one club from North Devon will need to transfer.

Wadebridge, Liskeard and Holsworthy are all in danger of the drop, all played in the old SWL. Any of them would slot into the West to take any promoted clubs place, Newquay being the favourites at the moment.

I can't see any of the Torbay clubs being classed as West, Okehampton switching to the West is a thought and possibly Appledore as both are also former SWL members.

Just a little confused over the statement made 'THE STRENGTH OF CORNWALL TEAMS IN THE PREMIER DIVISION Having just checked there are 9 Cornish clubs and 11 Devon clubs in the premier division. It is an unfiortunate fact of life that there are only 23 Cornish teams in the SWPL and 31 from Devon. I think having to increase the membership by the FA has caused a problem and yes it could mean that teams may have to transfer over from East to West. Okehampton and Appledore could come under the swop. Saying that Appledore could actually be promoted to the premier division. There are again at this stage of the season there are two Cornish clubs Liskeard and Wadebridge who find themselves in a diffiuclt situation. But that is now and planty of things can happen along the way.

It would be a difficult problem to solve. Perhaps Helston and Illogan could make the step up from the Combo, but I don't see why the West need increase its membership unless of course the FA say otherwise.

Perhaps its a little to early to think about that but I am sure the SWPL will have some sort of plan to solve the potential problem.

SWPL Div 2 (Sat Aug 14th 2010) Clyst Rovers v Mousehole - not a ideal fixture for anyone so much so, that only 12 supporters turned up. Some of the Mousehole team got stuck on the A30 just outside Exeter, others didn't get past the single carraigeway at Temple.

We already have clubs pulling out of all Divs due to finances and being unable to attract players of sufficent quality, I can't see any club asking players to travel a near 280 mile round trip for no more than sausage and chips as reward.

I could understand a two Div SWPL with the Prem at Step 5 where it should be and Div 1 at Step 6 ensuring that the facilities were already in place, rather than a vague promise that planning permission will be granted. A totally floodlit SWPL with quality facilities must be the aim if the FA are to make restructuring a serious attempt to improve standards in the SW of England.

How about a totally unregionalised 3 division league.

teams that aspire to reach the premier accept the increased travelling, so perhaps it is acceptable to the clubs already in east & west

This would be fine for the Plymouth based clubs however too much travel for the west Cornwall and Exeter / Torbay teams at this level. Don't mind the occasional long trip for the Throgmorten Cup match, but lets keep the Div 1 leagues East and West.

Just a little confused over the statement made 'THE STRENGTH OF CORNWALL TEAMS IN THE PREMIER DIVISION Having just checked there are 9 Cornish clubs and 11 Devon clubs in the premier division. It is an unfiortunate fact of life that there are only 23 Cornish teams in the SWPL and 31 from Devon. I think having to increase the membership by the FA has caused a problem and yes it could mean that teams may have to transfer over from East to West. Okehampton and Appledore could come under the swop. Saying that Appledore could actually be promoted to the premier division. There are again at this stage of the season there are two Cornish clubs Liskeard and Wadebridge who find themselves in a diffiuclt situation. But that is now and planty of things can happen along the way.

It would be a difficult problem to solve. Perhaps Helston and Illogan could make the step up from the Combo, but I don't see why the West need increase its membership unless of course the FA say otherwise.

Perhaps its a little to early to think about that but I am sure the SWPL will have some sort of plan to solve the potential problem.

The strength of Cornwall teams in the Premier comment stemmed from the fact these sides have finished well clear of the relegation zone since the league began. Clyst and Cullompton finished bottom first season but saved relegation to expand the league to 20. Both Newton Abbot clubs out of the Premier this season. Promoting a Cornwall club from the West without being replaced by a relegated Premier club is part of the problem.

West would be seeking to replace a club a lost, this season being Wendron.

• 4 months later...

Recent events have not helped the dire situation of numbers in the West division

- Millbrook apparantly resigning end of this season

- Illogan, Perranwell (Combo) and Bude (ECPL) did not apply for promotion

- All three teams applying for promotion (Sticker, St Day and Helston) lost games this week therefore almost no chance of finishing in a promotion position (top two)

Assuming St Austell is promoted, this leaves just 14 clubs in SWP D1 West!

If Okehampton and Appledore could be convinced to transfer across, Holdsworthy might accept being relegated to the West.

Any other options?

Recent events have not helped the dire situation of numbers in the West division

- All three teams applying for promotion (Sticker, St Day and Helston) lost games this week therefore almost no chance of finishing in a promotion position (top two)

If Okehampton and Appledore could be convinced to transfer across, Holdsworthy might accept being relegated to the West.

Any other options?

Holsworthy seems to make sense as it's similar travelling to what they used to have to do in the old SWL.

Appledore have been mentioned a few times. Their travelling is bad enough as it is with no local rivals at all. Personally I think making them travel to the likes of Porthleven, Hayle and Mousehole would be out of the question.

At least Okehampton have a very fast road link into Cornwall.

Perhaps special dispensation will have to be made for one of Sticker, St Day or Helston to make up the numbers.

depending on clubs financial constraints then i would suggest that all teams wanting to apply to the next league are all thrown together in a league. devon fa to concentrate on devon teams and cornwall fa concentrate of cornish league. therefore all teams that want to progress would be playing for something rather than teams in it to just compete and do something on a saturday afternoon.

my other idea, depending on what fundings the fa gets, that ccfa offer a grant to the champions of a league, to upgrade their ground to the next league standard, therefore saving a lot of money of committed members and chairmen using their own money to progress their clubs.

well i dont think the league structure will last much longer. Give it another 2 years and it will be back to south western and devon league cause smaller teams cant afford to travel etc... plus the fact u have to supply club linseman in div 1 E and W makes the league a total joke as a feeder league to the premier i can understand not havin enough officials to do all 3 leagues.... but it really is makin the league a laughing stock of our supposedly highest standard league for our area! half the teams in div 1 west would cope well in the prem, dunno about east div but heard there a few good sides there that could hold their own! with already 3 or 4 sides having pulled out of the league, surely the board must be beginning to wander now how long it will be before another one goes?

Any other options?

bude have and if they can end the season in second place they have a great chance of going up(so i have been told)

what about opening the league up to some of the ecpl sides who are second teams? torpoint, parkway, saltash and bodmin have all proved themselves at there current level yet cant go any higher due to two teams from the same club not being alowed in the same structure.

they already have adequate facilities in place as all already have sides in the peninsula premier. they all also travel across cornwall and are paid nothing as are some teams in swpl div 1.

with these four teams looking favourite to finish in at least the top six and torpoint and parkway meeting in the league cup final is the swpl not missing a trick by not evolving and offering them the oppertunity to step up?????

The National Pyrimid set up only allows Reserve team clubs in ,if they are (is it?) 3 divisions below their first team.

eg. last season Truro City Reserves were in SWPL1W) step 7 and Truro City first team in SL 1(SW) step 4

With barely a handful of Reserve sides in the whole (upper) Pyrimid it is not encouraged by the FA.

eg. No Man Utd Res,Plynouth Argyle Res.etc.

After reading the last few posts on this topic i feel that it is a massive shame and silly to not allow reserve sides into the CSWPL Div1 from the ECPL. As people have stated many teams are more than capable of playing in that league and to not be even given the chance to move up and test them self is not fair.

Many players that play in the ECPL could/have/will play in the CSWPL and some teams in ECPL are betetr than those in the CSWPL Div 1. It annoys me when i see teams that are wanting to push them selves and not being able to. Plus it annoys me even more that teams in the CSWPL Prem not going anywhere once they have one the league. Whats the point in winning a league if you dont better your self and go higher????? YEs you could argue money but i think if you havnt got the money to go higher for travel etc, dont pay out ridiculious amounts of money to players to try and win things.

Just my views. Anyone share the same????

I personally feel that it would not be in the leagues best interest allowing reserve sides into the league(with Truro being the exception). What would happen if the 1st team were relegated into the same division as the reserves? What would happen with the Throgmorton cup/Cornwall cups etc regarding clubs being drawn against each other? I think this is a non starter.

Some of the ECPL sides would do ok in the peninsular league, but they realise they are the reserve side and primarily there to support the first team.

I personally feel that it would not be in the leagues best interest allowing reserve sides into the league(with Truro being the exception). What would happen if the 1st team were relegated into the same division as the reserves? What would happen with the Throgmorton cup/Cornwall cups etc regarding clubs being drawn against each other? I think this is a non starter.

Some of the ECPL sides would do ok in the peninsular league, but they realise they are the reserve side and primarily there to support the first team.

You cannot have researve teams so close to any clubs first teams as stated above. The whole point of the prem, east and west set up is to allow teams to get promotion and also for teams not to hang around at the bottom and be relegated. The winners of the premier division have a big decision on wether to take promotion. Will the increased travelling bring in better rewards? Probably not long term. Clubs need to no 100% if they can cope with the demands of a higher league and the money it may involve. One day, I think there will be a few teams going fo it in the future, and its something id like to see happen. Time will tell.

I see what your saying mike so maybe this its something the english fa should look at with the standard and the number of adequate facilities in england dwindling? It seems to be the case that good local footballers are choseing to play for second teams that have the better facilities.

Jannerland, im not sure i agree with the statement that the reserve sides are primarily there to support the first teams. I dont know of any sides in the south west who's first, second and third teams train together and are signed for all three sides. As far as im aware the typical "american" style selction process where both or all three squads are anounced on the friday and players find out which team they are with and is picked on players form and atributes depending on opponents is not used. Sure players from teams help the other teams out from time to time and promising players can progress through the teams but are the second and third teams actually reserves in the true sense of the word?

• 2 weeks later...

from the SWP website

Applying for Step 7 :

Brixham United - Aplication recommended for promotion.

Helston Athletic - Application recommended for promotion.

Sidmouth Town - Application not recommended.

St Day - Application recommend for promotion.

St Martins - Application not recommended.

Sticker - Application recommended for promotion.

Topsham Town - Application recommended for promotion.

Clubs must normally finish in 1st OR 2nd position, unless reserve teams occupy those positions, and only 1 club per division or league can be promoted.

A further statement will be issued after the board meeting on the 13th May.

A surprise to me is the clause "unless reserve teams occupy those positions". Taking the reserve teams out of the picture, Sticker is elevated from 6th to 2nd! St Day and Helston are elevated just outside promotion positions to 3rd and 4th with plenty of games left to play. Will be an interesting couple of weeks.

This clause certainly does make it interesting. There do seem to be a lot of successful second teams who are consistently at the top of particularly the ECPL. As they can't get promoted it means it is very difficult for any sides to climb out of the ecpl and progress as without the attraction of potential promotion to the first team it is difficult for smaller clubs to get the players to compete with the reserve sides(this would be made a lot easier if these sides are promoted to the SWPL). A dilema indeed for the SWPL committee and it will be interesting to see the conclusion they reach!

Will we see Sticker/ Helston in the SWPL next year?!?!

From the Devon & Exeter League

league Table Premier Division

1st Thorverton.....P27 59 Pts. Did not apply

2nd.SidmouthTown..P28 58 Pts. Applied but not recommended

3rd. Topsham Town.P28 58 Pts. Applied and recommended for promotion

On Wednesday it is Sidmouth Town v Topsham Town but Sidmouth have better GD by 6

Have not seen the table in The South Devon League but Brixham United were off the pace when I last looked.

It looks very doubtful for any new club joining the SWPL next season.

Topsham Town 3rd. in the Devon & Exeter league need to win at 2nd place Sidmouth Town by 5 clear goals on Wednesday in the final game.

Other contenders

Brixham United finished in 4th, spot in the South Devon League.

St.Day and Helston Athletic seem to far off the pace for qualification even allowing third position seeing JCCL leaders Penryn are a reserve side.

Sticker in the ECPL are in mid table position of 7th. even allowing for 4 reserve side above them they have only one remaining game to make up a couple of places.

To summarise-

The SWPL Premier will be 20 clubs with Holsworthy down and AFC St.Austell and The Royal Marines both up.

With Millbrook departing this will leave Division 1 East and West with 32 clubs and to get an West East divide I will speculate that Holsworthy and/or Appledore/Okehampton could move to the West Division.

Appledore to Mousehole 104 miles 2 1/2 Hour journey.

Okehampton to Mousehole 90 miles just under 2 hours and as previously been said a better road network