Cornwall Football Forum

Best Combo Team of the Last 20 Years

Guest Living the dream

Guest Living the dream

Just a quick mind bender on a Friday morning;

Who would everyone rate as the best combo team of the last 20 years, obviously taking away the superstar Truro City team of a couple of years ago!!

In my humble opinion the standard has dropped dramatically the last few years, however there are a few excellent teams remaining, Illogan spring to mind.

The battles, between Truro City and Penryn 10 odd years ago were awesome and both teams contained some quality players.

Feel free to air your own views.

:c:

Just a quick mind bender on a Friday morning;

Who would everyone rate as the best combo team of the last 20 years, obviously taking away the superstar Truro City team of a couple of years ago!!

In my humble opinion the standard has dropped dramatically the last few years, however there are a few excellent teams remaining, Illogan spring to mind.

The battles, between Truro City and Penryn 10 odd years ago were awesome and both teams contained some quality players.

Feel free to air your own views.

:c:

your right about the standard,dont remember so many big scores back then,might be me old age. :yahoo: :yahoo:

goonhavern and st agnes have to be up there especially aggie after what kimmo achieved with predomenantly local players!I think teams with a first team are always going to be a bit more consistent because there player pool is usually a lot higher than those that have the combo side as their first team.

haydn, get back up your ladder.

remember theres only one dave fisher!!

one proper village team!

and its PERRANWELL!!!!!!!

all the best players of the last 20 years......

stephens. gilbert, rice, fisher x 3, gritton (truro didn't want him), the doc, medlin, kimmins,. hart, paps, kempy, arnold, gilbert, philips,tj,brabyn, fraggles and darren buckley!!! etc etc oh and a real cornish legend mr mark rapsey. how many goals was it rappo?

legends all,

and guess what they all played on the best pitch in cornwall(love you kempy)

:yahoo::c::clapper::smiley20::thumbsup: h

ps i love the seal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

127 in 3 seasons h.Great club,was a pleasure to end my senior football days playing for Perran.Promised Fish i would 20 years earlier when i played u.18 for him!!! Great job done by Phil Kellow as well.We had a great team spirit.Real family club.Should have won it that season we were runners up.Too many draws cost us mate. :clapper:

For your info.

Teams that have completed the

League and Cup double

Nanpean Rovers 1960-61

Porthleven 1965-66

Illogan RBL 1973-74

Perranwell 1976-77

Penryn Athletic 1989-90

Mullion 1990-91

Mullion 1991-92

Penryn Athletic 1995-96

Perranwell 1997-98

Truro City Reserves 1998-99

Truro City Reserves 2005-06

Truro City Reserves 2007-08

Perranporth 2008-09

League and Sup Cup double

Mullion 1985-86

Penryn athletic 1986-87

Helston Athletic 1987-88

St Agnes 2001-02

Guest SAILED THE SEVEN SEAS

Penryn and Perranwell have been the dominant forces in combination league football for years. Always up there or there abouts year in year out.

For me personally the Falmouth Town Combination side of 95 - 96 season was a fantastic one, unfortunately we fell short in the league but won the Combination cup against Perranwell 3-1 i think, then beat a really good Nanpean side in the Evely Cup at St Dennis 1-0. Nanpean actually went all the way that year to the Senior Cup final losing to Falmouth SWL in a reply at St Blazey.

Think our squad was as followed sorry if i missed anybody out.

Kevin Roberts, Jamie Keen, Dominic Keen, Darren Hosley, Paul Maudling, Johnny Perrow, Anthony Reynolds,Brendan Davey Gary Braugton, Stevie Warr, Gunnar Garfors, Mark Rapsey, Adie Burke, Charlie Phillpott.maybe Matt Salmon??? Managers Geoff Moyle and the the late Dickie Robertson.

Guest Postie Pidge

goonhavern and st agnes have to be up there especially

Wouldn't have said Goonhavern, they were only in it a few years and only had one title to show for it. I would say Penryn Athletic, especially int he 80s and early 90s. Mullion would also be there as well.

Accoring to CTB'S website the best team since the inauguration are St Just!

one proper village team!

stephens. gilbert, rice, fisher x 3, gritton (truro didn't want him), the doc, medlin, kimmins,. hart, paps, kempy, arnold, gilbert, philips,tj,brabyn, fraggles! etc etc oh and a real cornish legend mr mark rapsey. how many goals was it rappo?

legends all,

You was on the pop last night?? ( pot calling!!) we beat Mousehole 4 nil in the Charity cup today!! :c:

See you morrow!! x lol

For me personally the Falmouth Town Combination side of 95 - 96 season was a fantastic one, unfortunately we fell short in the league but won the Combination cup against Perranwell 3-1 i think, then beat a really good Nanpean side in the Evely Cup at St Dennis 1-0. Nanpean actually went all the way that year to the Senior Cup final losing to Falmouth SWL in a reply at St Blazey.

Kevin Roberts, Jamie Keen, Dominic Keen, Darren Hosley, Paul Maudling, Johnny Perrow, Anthony Reynolds,Brendan Davey Gary Braugton, Stevie Warr, Gunnar Garfors, Mark Rapsey, Adie Burke, Charlie Phillpott.maybe Matt Salmon??? Managers Geoff Moyle and the the late Dickie Robertson.

Have to agree with you Reno that was a good side....apart from Jamie keen who took my place but a good player all the same.....Salmo moved on that same season & I'm sure Gary went as well.....but Perranwell for me probably the best side I played against when they won the treble.......bloody hell Reno those were the days, you were stone lighter & flying down the wing....

which team has won the most trophies in the last 20 years then and whos the most sucessful manager in terms of silverware ?

There is no contest who has won the most is there ? think about it!! the most trophies as a manager has to be Mr Fish! :c:

What about Mullions Martin (Spanner) Smith, 3 League titles, 2 League cups, 2 Evely cups and 1 suplementry cup, how does that compare with Mr Fish?

one proper village team!

stephens. gilbert, rice, fisher x 3, gritton (truro didn't want him), the doc, medlin, kimmins,. hart, paps, kempy, arnold, gilbert, philips,tj,brabyn, fraggles! etc etc oh and a real cornish legend mr mark rapsey. how many goals was it rappo?

legends all,

i had a season out the well,and had the privilege to play up front with the one and only KEMPY :thumbsup: :yahoo:

Guest mariner

Andy Parry of penryn surely has the most titles under his belt and with the squad he has this season might even add another :c: If Mr Rundle can curb his aggression :P

Yeah dont get me wrong, Dave Fisher has to be up their as one of the most successfull managers in the combo league, but as being the most successful unfortunately i am not so sure, surely their's certain Penryn managers who have been more successful, Perranwell 3 titles to Penryn's 9, still a lot to catch up. :clapper::thumbsup::thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Yeah dont get me wrong, Dave Fisher has to be up their as one of the most successfull managers in the combo league, but as being the most successful unfortunately i am not so sure, surely their's certain Penryn managers who have been more successful, Perranwell 3 titles to Penryn's 9, still a lot to catch up. :clapper::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Yes Penryn has won the league more times but with the same manager?

Do you think you will ever be a manager who will?? :c: x

Yeah dont get me wrong, Dave Fisher has to be up their as one of the most successfull managers in the combo league, but as being the most successful unfortunately i am not so sure, surely their's certain Penryn managers who have been more successful, Perranwell 3 titles to Penryn's 9, still a lot to catch up. :clapper::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Yes Penryn has won the league more times but with the same manager?

Do you think you will ever be a manager who will?? :c: x

Kempy, whats Mr Fishers trophy record in the combo? is it better than Spanners?

As i have said mentioned loads of respect for Perran and Dave, Dave picked me a few times for the combo selcect side and thought Dave spoke a lot of sense in his team talks and his knowledge about the game has always been A1, maybe John Evans or Dave Jenks may have emmulated what Dave has achieved in senior football as a manager, perhaps some ryn boys can clarify that. :c:

cheers

reno

Guest BLATCHY

GOT TO BE PERRANWELL!!! OR IF NOT MULLION , GOONHAVERN THEY WON THE LEAGUE WITH NO MONEY PENRYN AND FALMOUTH WHERE PAYING SOME OF THERE PLAYER'S. PERRANWELL HAD GOOD PLAYERS YOUNG AND OLD WHO COULD MIX IT WITH THE BEST GOOD TEAM BUT THE PITCH IS SHOCKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :SM_carton:

Guest BLATCHY

PENRYN AND FALMOUTH WHERE PAYING SOME OF THERE PLAYER'S

I've never known any Falmouth Combo player to be paid?

so some of there 1st team players who where stepping down done it for nothing? :clapper:

Guest Postie Pidge

so some of there 1st team players who where stepping down done it for nothing?

They would be paid expenses weekly so if they were nedded or used by the Combo team they wouldn't have been paid for playing but would still pick up their expenses on the Saturday or whenever. Basically no they wouldn't have been paid to play.

GOT TO BE PERRANWELL!!! OR IF NOT MULLION , GOONHAVERN THEY WON THE LEAGUE WITH NO MONEY PENRYN AND FALMOUTH WHERE PAYING SOME OF THERE PLAYER'S. PERRANWELL HAD GOOD PLAYERS YOUNG AND OLD WHO COULD MIX IT WITH THE BEST GOOD TEAM BUT THE PITCH IS SHOCKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :SM_carton:

But the pitch surface is ok!! How would we get some of the County's unpaid players to play for the Well if they thought the pitch was as you described? :rolleyes:

Have to agree with you Reno that was a good side....apart from Jamie keen who took my place but a good player all the same.....Salmo moved on that same season & I'm sure Gary went as well.....but Perranwell for me probably the best side I played against when they won the treble.......bloody hell Reno those were the days, you were stone lighter & flying down the wing....

I have to agree with you there baggie that side that won the treble also got to the charity cup final the same year which people forget beating along the way truro 1st team 1 -0 torpoint 4 -1 bodmin on penalties and narrowerley lost out to porthleven 3 -2 in the final at newquay with charlie legg and martin gritton up front for them. so close to doing the quadruple!!! and that side if available today would beat any combo side of today hands down. side as follows John Dent, Darren Buckley, Simon Fisher Ian Arnold, Peter Davey, Terry Greenwood, matt wing,brian fisher,boysie symonds, rodney gregory, nigel brabyn adie hart. unstopable that year!!! Dave Fisher the best manager i have played for insperational and a great motivator.

best team of last 20 years

Perranporth 2009 http://www.comboleaguearchive.110mb.com/2008%20table.htm

or

Truro 2008 http://www.comboleaguearchive.110mb.com/2007%20expanded.htm

best club of last 20 years

Penryn or Perranwell http://www.comboleaguearchive.110mb.com/All%20time%20chart.htm

:thumbsup:

Guest Living the dream

Mark Symons Truro team of 98-99 were good but 2005-2006 under Gary Pascoe were better.
Mr T

I disagree, Garys team were awesome, but let me tell you the 98-99 bench on cup final day, Rusty Rowsen, Dean Harris, Luke Wort.....enough said I think!! :drink:

Thanks for the mention Mariner and FIFI the actual record for the least goals ever conceded in a season was Penryn (I think 1993) we only conceded 18 goals. I had a great team infront of me especially Andy Cracknel and Rob Riley didnt really need a keeper. And you two should know anyway you pass the list of Penryns acheivements everytime you enter your changing rooms! (Perranporth conceded 20 last year by the way NOT a record as quoted in the west briton)

Guest BLATCHY

But the pitch surface is ok!! How would we get some of the County's unpaid players to play for the Well if they thought the pitch was as you described? :rolleyes:

Pitch o.k in your dreams! Perranwell have been quality for years and stilll are but the pitch is one of the worst in league without doubt. :drink: :thumbsup:

Pitch o.k in your dreams! Perranwell have been quality for years and stilll are but the pitch is one of the worst in league without doubt. :drink::thumbsup:

Complete bollocks!! most moan as they come to the well and leave with nil poit!! if Ludgvan had our pitch would you moan then? :c:

Guest BLATCHY

Pitch o.k in your dreams! Perranwell have been quality for years and stilll are but the pitch is one of the worst in league without doubt. :drink::thumbsup:

Complete bollocks!! most moan as they come to the well and leave with nil poit!! if Ludgvan had our pitch would you moan then? :c:

No because LUDGVAN have got a better pitch then u. :thumbsup: If u think u have a good pitch i feel for u :yahoo:

No because LUDGVAN have got a better pitch then u. :thumbsup: If u think u have a good pitch i feel for u :yahoo:

how the hell can you say Ludgvans pitch is better than the well,slope like the well,surface no were near as good,and a lot smaller,stop talking out your rear end blatchy :yahoo: :yahoo:

one proper village team!

legends all,

what about me (h) i had 4 great seasons there playing with all of the above!! lol easily forgettable i know!!

Guest Pete Lewis

What about the Penryn side in the mid 90s the side with, Andy parry,Rob Riley,Pete Lewis, Kenny Gunn,Ian Penrose, Paul Murray ,Andy Stivey, Jerry Cornish and many more decent players.

I was lucky enough to play with some top combo players, the first changing room I sat in was Phil,Wherry, Paul Cardell, Andy Cracknell, Rob Riley, Les Gilbert Steve Jewel, Wayne Brown, Andy Parry, Sammo, Jerry Cornish, Andy Stivey, Paul Murray Kev Toy and Stevie Warr with Evo as manager!!!!

What about the Penryn side in the mid 90s the side with, Andy parry,Rob Riley,Pete Lewis, Kenny Gunn,Ian Penrose, Paul Murray ,Andy Stivey, Jerry Cornish and many more decent players.

I was lucky enough to play with some top combo players, the first changing room I sat in was Phil,Wherry, Paul Cardell, Andy Cracknell, Rob Riley, Les Gilbert Steve Jewel, Wayne Brown, Andy Parry, Sammo, Jerry Cornish, Andy Stivey, Paul Murray Kev Toy and Stevie Warr with Evo as manager!!!!

i remember that too Pete i played for that team as well i remember being proud to put on that shirt and play along side those guys they where great crackers and riley i really looked up to being a defender proud to play along side them and of course you Pete!! lol