Cornwall Football Forum

result from Kimbers

Guest avidfollower

The "Ashes" made Bodmin Town look "also rans" tonight.

The loss of O'Hagen and Flynn has had a very detrimental effect on Bodmin Town this season. What was a formidable unit, now looks very ordinary. But taking nothing away from Saltash, because they were very worthy winners.

As for Darren Gilbert, he looked like a rabbit caught in a cars headlights.

Guest Uncle Albert

Bodmin started well and could have been a couple of goals up in the first 30 minutes. They scored one and had chances to have got at least one more.

But they didnt take their chances, and after a rather fortunate equaliser, Saltash were more like their old selves in the second half, and made the Bodmin defence look ordinary at times, especially from corners.

Kenny Griffiths made two excellent saves in the last 15 minutes to stop Chris Luxton and Nick Campbell but Saltash were worthy winners.

Good crowd tonight. Maybe more Friday evening football is worth trying at Kimberley.

must have been at a different match.

great game, with bodmin by far the better side 1st half,ripping saltash open at will, but hitting a brick wall in griffiths in goal, who was magnificent all game.

equalising goal was the changing point in the game, picking up on pastymans word 'momentum' which swayed to saltash from the start of the 2nd half.

ashes scored the next 2 from great deliveries, and had 60% of the ball, looked hungrier all over the park, but cant remember anymore decent chances created , where as m.o.m griffiths made 2 worldy saves, and to re-iterate on another day bodmin could have scored 5.

(yeah yeah, dont come back saying thats what the keepers there for!!)

for me on chances created bodmin deserved more from the game, but for 2nd half hunger, ashes claimed all 3.

so all in all cant agree with saltash being in total control or bodmin being made to look also rans.

but a great advert for the league..

Totally agree with you football person good game which was a tale of two keepers

Saltash`s keeper out standing ..........

Bodmin`s keeper had a mare ...........

as for Saltash well done on the win but you were not that good . Bodmin had a off night and were punished for it , but the bodmin keeper played a big big part in the Saltash win ..

as i come from Saltash I wasn`t over inpressed with the Saltash display they look very flat footed in the frist half and Bodmin really tore them apart on a few occasions and the red faced defence were saved by the keeper on a few times I would say they all owe him a big drink tonight :drink:

Went to watch this game and don't think Saltash where that good more of a case of Bodmin making them look good in the second half. Bodmin got punished for not taking there chances in the first half ,they cut throught the saltash midfield and defence with ease but could not finish off the chances created.

Would question the decision to allow the Saltash third goal to stand, as three players jumped up with the keeper two of which clearly played the man and not the ball and the ref did nothing,yet earlier in the game hodge made a genuine attempt to play the ball and not the keeper yet was pulled up for it and spoken too, don't get that.

Its called mugging and Bodmin have been able to call on their vast experience to do this to other clubs for years.Suddenly having lost several top players and possibly financial restraints are now playing on a more equal footing .One sure winner is Friday football over 300 in attendance. :drink:

Hopefully this win will put the Ashes season back on track.

I thought Bodmin pretty much gave up when Thorn got his second. From then on there was only one winner. But up to that goal it was anyones game with Bodmin having the better chances.

Man of the match for me was Kenny Griffiths. He was awesome all match. :thumbsup:

I also thought the ref was very good as I hardly noticed him all match.

This win against the champions can only give the saltash lads confidence going into a tough game against St Blazey next week.

It should be said that the depth of squad is terrific as well with coulton, stuey clarke, farnham, sargey and sam hughes all on the bench last night!!!

There is no doubt that Saltash have the talent to win the league this year but do they have the belief?

Guest avidfollower

Have to agree with you Hoofer, do the Squad at Saltash United have the belief. My only fear is that of discontent within certain players, not appearing in the starting eleven enough. Silverware is rarely won by the same eleven players in a squad. It takes a strong squad to "stick together" and commit themselves to a team effort.

Guest avidfollower

Yes Dave, the spirit at Kimberley has been first class for the past few seasons. Perhaps I caused a little confusion. What I meant was, if players who were first team regular previously, are not getting a regular game, will they leave. Very sad if they do, as in my previous post, i stated it does take a strong squad to win things.

I would have thought that all of the squad would relish the challenge of competing for places. Many of the more established Saltash players have had it too easy for too long and it's about time they started competing for a shirt.

This competition for places will make them champions and if they can do it this season then repeating it will be easy! If Saltash win the league this season then I can see them dominating for the next 5 years. The squad just need to believe they can do it and once they do then success will follow.

The funny thing is that the opposition know that Saltash can do it as every team they seem to play raise their game. Just look at the games against Tavvy and Falmouth, both these teams haven't played so well all season as they did against Saltash!

hoofers comments-

The funny thing is that the opposition know that Saltash can do it as every team they seem to play raise their game. Just look at the games against Tavvy and Falmouth, both these teams haven't played so well all season as they did against Saltash!

just checked the league table, and tavy are at the top, so if they havent played well as of yet, then my monies on them!!!!

saltash are a decent team, not a great team, and will be in the top 4. if they can strenghten at the back and get a more experienced holding midfielder then possibly they could win it but as earlier stated without griffiths on friday night they could have got smashed.

Tavvy did play well against Saltash but who else of note have Tavvy played well against in the league this season?

Didn't think they were very good yesterday at Blazey. Did they play well against Bodmin and Buckland? I didn't see those games but I do know they lost. Tavvy would have lost against Saltash as well if it weren't for the awful ref that day.

I can't see Tavvy repeating their performance against Saltash many times this season and if Tavvy's disciplinary record hasn't improved then they will come unstuck like previous seasons.

Saltash have the best midfield in the league in my opinion and with Chewen returning it will be even stronger! :thumbsup:

I can see this season going all the way to the final game but Tavvy although better than last season won't be at the top.

Having watched the game on Friday night thought Football Person was absolutely spot on with his report.

All about opinions, but find it hard how anyone can pass comment on how Tavvy and Falmouth raised their games against Saltash unless you have watched all of their games this season.

Saltash will do well this year, but you have to win your games in hand first!

We started badly but have managed to win 11 out of the last 12 and the other game was a draw at your place. Won 5 on the trot before we came to you and won six on the trot since then. Best we played was against Ilfracombe Town and definitely not Saltash, only my opinion. We have got Clyst on Saturday and if we don't play well we won't win.

Don't know how anyone can predict who will win this league year, especially with every team dropping so many points with only a third of the season gone and there are no easy games. All the so called top teams will take points off each other, and it may well come down to who is more consistent against the bottom half of the table.

One last point discipline, one sending off in 18 games which the referree later appologised for getting wrong. But unfortunately at this level even after the referree rescinds the card unless you have video evidence the sending off and ban will stand.

As for you saying you should have won that game against us no doubt you have got the same rose tinted glasses on you were wearing Friday night!

My assessment of Friday's game on another thread was very similar to Football person's.

"thought Bodmin pretty much gave up when Thorn got his second. From then on there was only one winner. But up to that goal it was anyones game with Bodmin having the better chances."

The saltash v tavvy game was a very good enjoyable and even match and there was never going to be much in it. But saltash got their noses in front and i am confident that they would have gone on to win if it wasn't for that clueless ref.

The view on any game I watch is of course my opinion but I wouldn't say my view is rose tinted. I will slate saltash when they play badly like I did when they lost against Falmouth. Even then saltash would not have lost that game if palmer hadn't missed an absolute sitter.

My opinion is that saltash have the strongest squad this season and if they all stay together and have the self belief then they will come out on top. In saying that it will depend on injuries and suspensions around March and April as they are sure to have a backlog of fixtures over this period again.

If they win the league this year then repeating it will be easier for them than winning it for the first time. If they win the league this year then saltash will have a stronger and more experienced squad next season. Who wouldn't want to play for saltash next season if they are crowned champions? Great pitch, great changing room and the hardest working managers in the league!

Very pleased to hear that discipline at Tavvy has improved, not before time might I add.