Cornwall Football Forum

F.A Cup progress

After defeating Truro in the penalty shoot out in the 3rd,Qual.Round Mangotsfield go out in the next round.

F A Cup 4th.Qual.Round

Mangotsfield United 1 Forest Green Rovers 2 Attendance 946 admission charge £8-00

Good pay day for the hosts in a somewhat local derby and a £12500 reward for the visitors.

Fancy Paulton Rovers reaching the 1st round proper. Only a few seasons ago St Blazey went there and beat them 1-0 and knocked them out!!

Just shows with a bit of luck, the 1st round is there for a Cornish club.

As for Mangotsfield, i thought and expected them to have a better crowd then the 950 for the visit of Forest Green.

Seeing how close Mangotsfield ran Forest Green and seeing Paulton in the 1st Round just makes Truro's exit all the more frustrating, especially as it was at the hands of a lower league team, with a home draw and we played our worse football since before last Xmas when we were having a dodgy run in the South & West Division.

And as for the bit of luck Paul mentioned I honestly thought we'd had that when Yetts scored his injury time equaliser. Surely we couldn't play that poorly again and they couldn't raise their game for a second time I thought. I thought wrong and they had the bit of luck in the penalties.

Mind you, if going out in the 3rd Qualifier was frustrating imagine the agony of going out in the 4th. Pity Truro didn't have a chance to find out.

But next season....

Saturday 7th.November

Live on ITV1 12-45pm

Paulton Rovers v Norwich City

£20,000 up for grabs plus the TV payment-Not bad for the former coal mining Village with a population of 4896.

Their Winterfield Road ground has a capacity of 5000 and vouchers will be available at their Home SL game with Taunton on Saturday to be exchanged for F A Cup tickets.

Paulton Rovers (Somerset) are the lowest ranked club left in the competition and will their attendance exceed their population?.

What a story for Paulton Rovers.

Itll be great to see a match on TV at a non league club not far from home and one ive been to.

Lets hope Paulton have a good crowd and pick up some support for future matches. It will be intresting to see their crowds before and after their big day.

What a story for Paulton Rovers.

Itll be great to see a match on TV at a non league club not far from home and one ive been to.

Lets hope Paulton have a good crowd and pick up some support for future matches. It will be intresting to see their crowds before and after their big day.

Paulton current average is 215 against 159 previous year.

Sure we all wish them luck tinged with a large helping of envy!

Mike,didnt we play at Paulton in the FA Cup about 15 years ago mate??? Remember being 1-0 down and cocking up a one on one with the keeper and they broke away and beat us 2-0!? Is that right Mike? Or Pidge? Might have been the Vase?? Nice set up though,unless it rains i would imagine? :c:

Flipping heck Mike!! Where have those 20 years gone??!! Thought i remembered Sweeter being a youngster on the bus that day!!?? Sure it was that long ago? I aint gonna argue with you though mate!!! :thumbsup:

Mark you got me this time -you are correct it was 1995-96 season (15 years ago)

I was looking at the 1989-90 when Falmouth lost at Home to Paulton Rovers again 0-2.

Remember that Paulton trip well. Left at 8am got there at 2pm. Probably because the coach zig zagged all the way through Somerset ! I don't think the committee wanted us to arrive too early and go on a drunken rampage through Paulton :lol: As usual we didn't have a full strength side for a big game, Wadds was suspended from something he prob did 3 seasons before ! Nick Campbell started up front.

Mind you the coach trip wasn't nearly as bad as the Yate trip :SM_carton:

I didn't make that (Yate) trip but in the car up to Ivybridge yesterday and according to Wayne and Tony there was a catalogue of mishaps with the coach.

I have asked Wayne to tell the story on here (it will go on a bit). Also 'Rappo'could help as he played and scored the goal in the 1-2 defeat.

Back to Paulton Rovers -they have had to reduce the ground capacity to just over 2000 due to Police advice but will charge £20-00 entry.

They have dropped the voucher idea and it is first option for club members then to supporters with a local post code address(proof with a utility bill).

500 tickest have been allocated to Norwich City.

surprisingly with all the media interest only 334 turned up for their local derby with Taunton yesterday.

Mike was that the trip when the supporters coach broke down? We wanted all the lads to jump on our coach but the driver refused because of the seating rules etc??? Is that the one Snake?? We reckoned it was because they had about 50 crates of beer!!! Remember that game really well.Trev played one up front and put me right midfield 1st half.A mistake he never made again!!! The pitch was the same measurements as wembley!!! It was a shame because when we went back to two 2nd half we could have won it i reckon.Remember Tommy storming up the left like a winger and whipping one in with his left peg right on my head about 10 yards out.Could'nt miss!!! I was crap at heading in those days as well! My 3 outstanding memories of that day were Sabu sleeping all the way through the game on the coach,wrecked! We told him we won 5-0! He didnt know we lost until we got to plymouth about 9pm!!! Sean Cooper nicking the mirror out the away dressing room,it was massive as well!! Think the club got done actually? And Philpy having a blinder in goal.They had a striker playing,just got released from Bristol Rovers who was like shit off a shovel!!! Remember his name anyone??? Went in 2 feet on Philpy and didnt go near him again after Philpy bit him!!! Great days Mike!!! :thumbsup:

Was the coldest day ever. Two coaches at Bickland Park. One for us lot and a luxury one for the players and committee !

Ours had no heating on it. Excellent ! After we left Exeter services and pulled onto the Motorway the Battery caught fire. Whilst we were stranded by the side of the motorway the luxury coach pulled over stuck two fingers up at us and carried on their way to Yate (Probably something to do with the committee more than the driver Rappo !!) There was only about 10 of us on this coach and plenty of room on the Party bus.

Anyway eventually a replacement coach with heating turned up and we were off again. An hour and a half and we would be supping our first pint...Or not ! Just before Gordano services the coach started leaking water. We were at a snails pace now so that it wouldnt overheat. We pulled into the services and the driver decided to top enough to get us to Yate at least....Not long now we thought, but then he got lost. So what do you do when you get lost pull over and check the map. So there we are all fed up on the hard shoulder, when BANG ! Some old dear in the rain with the sun visor down and wearing sunglasses went straight in the back of us. I could write more but that just about sums it up. Oh and we lost again :angry2:

Interesting to read all your thoughts, guys, about reminiscing over Paulton Rovers! More on them in a moment.

For a start, I missed the Mangos v Forest Green game (as expected!) because I was in Brixham for the half term week. Got home yesterday pm. Just as well, seeing as we got stuffed 4-0 at home by Windsor & Eton! The holiday was booked a year ago, so I knew that whatever game we had on the 24th, if it was at home, I'd miss it. As it was, I did watch Dartmouth 0, Torpoint 1 last Wednesday to partially make up for it. The first time EVER that I have had to take a car ferry to get to football!

As for the 950-odd crowd we had v FGR, that, for us, was a good figure! Remember that Bristol Rovers were also at home to Yeovil Town on the same day and if Rovers are at home, it DOES affect our gate. We're that side of town! This was why we tried to get the FGR switched to the Sunday, in order to boost our gate, but the Conference side said no. I gather they didn't bring TOO many to Cossham St (a couple of hundred maybe) either, which was disappointing considering they're only 30 miles from us.

As for the game, several regulars later told me that if we'd had someone who could put the ball into the net, we'd have won because FGR weren't the best side we've faced this season by any means. By all accounts, FGR had 3 chances to score in 90 minutes and bagged two of them. Our goal came right at the death and was too late to make any difference.

Had we got through, it would have been home to Mansfield. There's something - MANgotSFIELD v Mansfield. Maybe that's for another time, but that's 4 times now in 9 years that we've reached the 4th QR and we've missed out each time.

Unlike Paulton Rovers!! What a game for them next weekend. Mansfield certainly ain't Norwich! The money they'll make too, from all sorts of things, is beyond their wildest dreams. It will set them up for years to come. We can only be envious of them on the day. So many players down the years have played for us and them, and even now, their current side has maybe 4 or 5 ex-Mangos in their regular side, so I'm pleased for them that they'll be in the limelight this weekend. We don't play Paulton again until March, so the Cup novelty will have worn off by then. But I usually get to Paulton once or twice a season anyway, as it's close to Bristol, but obviously I shan't be there next weekend! Good luck to them though. If Robbie Claridge nets for them next Saturday, it will only make us Mangos regret more than ever why we allowed to let him go south. Then again, we were in turmoil at the time, so he probably wanted to go anyway!

Never mind. Looking forward to Bristol MF v Saltash United on the 14th as well..........