Cornwall Football Forum

jim cook

Yes, Jim managed ST Minver for several seasons in the late 70's early eighties. He was a great character and also a very good "inside left". I was lucky enough to play alongside him as a younster when he became player manager of Lostwithiel after many seasons with Liskeard. He was a true football gent,like his son Martin who now captains Wadebridge in the SWPL.

I remember jim turning up on my doorstep wanting to sign me for st minver.I was still a schoolboy and had never heard of him or st minver but after speaking to him he made me feel as if i was going to play for england.A very nice man who knew his football and if it was,nt for the travelling involved would have got me to sign for him.Ironically my first senior away game was at jims st minver,we won 2-0 and i scored both goals and i remember jim coming over at the final whistle and despite losing smiled at me and told me what a good judge of young footballers he was.A true gentleman who will be sadly missed.

Very sad news,Jim always available to give sound advice when i was at wadebridge,everyone that new him talked of the great sides he put together,not sure who played for him at St Minver but a few characters i am sure.Agree with reg Martin cook ,jim junior is of the same mould and my thoughts are with him and the rest of the family.RIP JIM.

Guest Peppermint

I would like to add that I was at the Camelford v Wadebridge Town on Saturday and Martin Cook despite his sad loss played for his club and as usual was fully committed to the Bridgers cause.

Martin is an example for every player in the County - a great role model both on and off the field and a credit to himself and his Club.

I offered my symapathies to Martin on Saturday but would reiterate them on here.