Cornwall Football Forum

Willand Rovers 5 v 2 Newquay AFC

Guest The Judge aka RED OR DEAD

What can I say about today, am still grinning from a cracking day out. This despite, me being one of the nominated drivers and not having a drop to drink.

Willand players average height was 6ft 4ins, the two smallest were 5ft 11ins and one of them was the keeper. Keyword of Willands play and repeated incesantly by the travelling fans, was HOOF. Not too many games where the losing side lose by 3 goals and outplayed the victors for over an hour. Newquays fragile defence were exposed twice early on but then played some of the best football seen this season for 25mins without putting the ball away.

The second half saw a different Willand as the HOOFS were held up by the wind. The Peppermints could have pulled one back but a shot came back off the post. However, it was Newquay who gifted the 3rd goal as a pass out by the keeper was intercepted and put away for 3-0. Sam Hunter was brought on for Scott Palmer and instantly showed those who had battled for an hour how to score. Hunter was sent down the right touchline, cut inside and blasted a scorcher into the far top corner from 35 yards. Unfortunately, the search for another to get back into the tie, left gaps at the back and it was soon 4-1. Robbo got one back as he exposed the slow lumbering defence by breaking from the half way line, outpacing two defenders and slotting home in off the post. Newquay poured forward but again were left short at the back and it ended 5-2.

The travelling fans appluaded the effort put in by those in a very unusual away kit of Yellow shirts, Black shorts and Red socks. The Red/White stripes, black shorts and red socks clashed with home all white kit apparently.

Nice trip up, pub lunch, a few games of pool in the Willand clubhouse, banter throughout the match and Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody headbanging on the way home. Thanks for a top trip lads, hope the girlies had fun in the slowmobile too.

Two quality finishes, just needed 4 more. A much better performance today (in parts) and forgot to mention that Scotty had a goal ruled offside at 0-0. We also travelled with just one recognised outfield sub (not counting Jim Hilton or Lee Hawkey - sorry lads) and a sub keeper.

Also omitted the amount swearing that the ref and lino didn't take action on, quite shocked when the lino was told to F**k off by a Willand player and did nothing. Ref did book one lad for swearing but only after a stern warning for the first swearing offence directed at him.

Still grinning about various comments and events of the day, don't think I've ever been in a good mood after a 5-2 defeat before.

Two quality finishes, just needed 4 more. A much better performance today (in parts) and forgot to mention that Scotty had a goal ruled offside at 0-0. We also travelled with just one recognised outfield sub (not counting Jim Hilton or Lee Hawkey - sorry lads) and a sub keeper.

Also omitted the amount swearing that the ref and lino didn't take action on, quite shocked when the lino was told to F**k off by a Willand player and did nothing. Ref did book one lad for swearing but only after a stern warning for the first swearing offence directed at him.

Still grinning about various comments and events of the day, don't think I've ever been in a good mood after a 5-2 defeat before.

:thumbsup: good on you judge.

:thumbsup:

What is goin on at newquay they started the season so well but now they are sinking so fast,its been downhill since chris luxton left for bodmin at the moment cant see where the next win is coming from ,i was at plymouth to watch them beat scunthorpe they still didnt play well but won again so on to the next game still would like to see sturrock gone and neil warnock brought in .Hope newquay sorts things out but i will continue watching truro and plymouth until things aproved used to like the old south western league this new league is not the same .

What is goin on at newquay they started the season so well but now they are sinking so fast,its been downhill since chris luxton left for bodmin at the moment cant see where the next win is coming from ,i was at plymouth to watch them beat scunthorpe they still didnt play well but won again so on to the next game still would like to see sturrock gone and neil warnock brought in .Hope newquay sorts things out but i will continue watching truro and plymouth until things aproved used to like the old south western league this new league is not the same .

I'll tell you what Steve, turn up Tuesday night and if you are unhappy with the win we will get v Millbrook, I will personally refund your admission !

Guest Peppermint

I have not been very active on the Forum recently and I am sorry to say the comments from 100% Cornish are typical of the uninformed who make statements without thinking.

Firstly I agree with The Judge - Willand Rovers had the tallest team I have ever seen and the number 3 at the back could have doubled for one of their floodlight pylons!

Forgive me if I am wrong 100% Cornish but you do sound like a fair weather supporter - Plymouth Argyle have only won 2 games all season but you say you still support them and Truro City - what will happen if they start losing!

I appreciate every spectator pays his or her money and takes their choice but at least people like The Judge and his mates will be supporting Newquay every week whatever the results.

I am sorry but gone are the halcyon days when The Peppermints won a lot of trophies in the 70's etc but they were amongst the top payers of players then and now in this economic climate we have a local team that plays for their club through loyalty and not what money they can hawk their services for!

One last rant - 100% Cornish if you look at leagues the you will find that Willand are three steps higher than Newquay's league and Newquay were in no way three goals worse than Willand.

The Judge's comments regarding Dean Stamp [ex Truro City] and the swearing at the Assistant - most spectators heard this and he was only three feet away form the assistant but no action - and then the same player remains on the field and scores number five. Justice - I do not think so!!!!!!!!!!!

The good news is Newquay should have an almost full squad for the next game - lets see what happens over the whole season - I have faith in Jim's side and remember virtually the same squad of players were Runners Up last season and they do not become a bad team overnight.

A note for Jim - this is not a vote of confidence in the manager because we all know what happens then!!!!!!!

For anyone without a sense of humour the last remark was a joke.

To be fair we never expected a result against Willand and went up there more for the day out and the chance of seeing how well we could compete against a team 3 divisions higher. It wasnt a bad day all round and I dropped my mum, wife and daughter in Exeter for a days shopping before going onto the game, so it was one of those days. At the game we had large patches where we played some good stuff against a team that generally dwarfed me (and Im 6' 4") and my own personal opinion is that 5-2 flattered them a bit. When Stampy came on he looked sharp and got his eye in with a few shots before finishing clinically in the dying seconds.

Not a bad day out and I expect Newquay to take heart from this showing and go on and build from here.

I have watched newquay all my life and i am just not happy with what i have seen from them so far plymouth will always be my team having watched them for over 40 years i still get a buzz goin to see them i am not a supporter of truro i just watch them when nothing else to do you couldnt afford to watch them every week paying a tenner each time . I used to go every game home and away to watch newquay in the old south western league and used to love the st blazey matches i remember newquay was so close to getting in the 1st round of the fa cup but failed against oldbury town newquay had 2 r.a.f lads ted semley and john lazari i could name my all time newuay team and my fav player was called paul bambini with his coloured boots others would be toffee tumun and centre forward phil ryder .I will definitly be up there tues judge have to tape eastenders though so hope it will be a win give kev barnes son alex a go in goal hes good .See you tues

Kev Barnes' son is called RYAN and he played the whole game against Willand on Saturday.

Ryan Barnes aged 16, SWPL debut away at Hayle Won 4-2. FA Vase debut v Bridport came off after 88mins injured, also won 4-2. A good lad, who with experience and coaching, will do well for Newquay. Perhaps 100% Cornish should make Tuesday night the first visit of many to Mount Wise, he can then keep upto date with the lads turning out for his local side.

Judge's and Peppermint's reports brought a smile to my face. I saw Torpoint at Cullompton Saturday before last. Torpoint won but I remarked that Cullompton seemed to have just one dimension to their game which was to send long balls to two big front men.

I also noted that there was a small crowd at Speeds Meadow that day and was then told that was because most of the home supporters had gone a few miles up the road to watch Willand in the FA cup instead!

Perhaps that's the brand of football that attracts the gate money in that part of Devon.

Kev Barnes' son is called RYAN and he played the whole game against Willand on Saturday.

Ryan Barnes aged 16, SWPL debut away at Hayle Won 4-2. FA Vase debut v Bridport came off after 88mins injured, also won 4-2. A good lad, who with experience and coaching, will do well for Newquay. Perhaps 100% Cornish should make Tuesday night the first visit of many to Mount Wise, he can then keep upto date with the lads turning out for his local side.

With the results that Newquay are getting this season,they could do with JOHN BARNES.

With the results that Newquay are getting this season,they could do with JOHN BARNES.

I assume that was an attempt at humour, never mind !

I have not heard one Newquay fan wanting a new manager, if that is what your post was suggesting. We are more than happy with Jim, Lee and the players, at least they will do something your lot won't do, gain promotion ! Don't beleive me, well no one thought we would run PZ so close last season after a bad start, we were 9th in November and took the title race to the last week of the season... and we did it with bugger all money too !

Judge, I enjoy reading some of your posts...........but sometimes I wish you would shut up. There's nothing more I would love than to see Newquay get promotion, but you coming on here making statements like that just make people laugh at you and puts unnecessary pressure on the players and management.

Let's just get behind the club and hope with hardwork and a bit of luck that the results will start improving.

And if they don't? We will still be there rain or shine!

I have not heard one Newquay fan wanting a new manager, if that is what your post was suggesting. We are more than happy with Jim, Lee and the players, at least they will do something your lot won't do, gain promotion ! Don't beleive me, well no one thought we would run PZ so close last season after a bad start, we were 9th in November and took the title race to the last week of the season... and we did it with bugger all money too !

Who said anything about a manager.John Barnes was better known as a Liverpool striker than as a manager.

Who said anything about a manager.John Barnes was better known as a Liverpool striker than as a manager.

Winger he was Kit and then in latter years centre midfield, never a striker though!

Johnny Barnes, Johnny Barnes went that way

and four defenders went that way

Johnny Barnes, Johnny Barnes