Cornwall Football Forum

Brazilian ace joins City as Macca signs three players

Thisiscornwall.co.uk Link ©

TRURO City fans will be treated to a little bit of Brazilian magic next season after the club's signing of former Exeter City defender Marcio dos Santos Gaia.

The Brazilian turned down a sizeable offer from Conference side Rushden and Diamonds to join City and is one of three new signings manager Sean McCarthy has made as they prepare for their first ever season in the premier division of the BGB Southern League.

As exclusively revealed on thisiscornwall.co.uk at the weekend, another former Exeter City player, forward, Les Afful has joined, from Conference side Forest Green Rovers.

The third "new" signing is yet another former Grecians player in classy midfielder Danny Clay, who made such a good impression in City's Division One South and West title run-in when he joined them on loan from Dorchester Town in March.

And boss McCarthy confirmed that his search for new players was by no means over.

"These are three quality signings but I am still looking for at least a couple of more players," he said.

"I have a number of trialists coming down for pre-season but we need a bigger squad."

He said that all of last season's contracted players were staying and they had also sealed a deal with highly talented young striker Liam Eddy.

But there is a doubt concerning keeper Martin Rice who spent last season at Treyew Road on loan from Torquay United.

The 23-year-old keeper has agreed a new one year deal to stay at Plainmoor next season when Torquay return to the Football League.

"I don't know Ricey's situation yet. But he has done well for us," said McCarthy.

"But I am speaking to two or three other keepers just in case."

McCarthy, who has just successfully completed his A licence coaching badge with the England FA, is delighted with the new signings after some intensive work following the end of the season.

"Marcio was wanted by Crawley Town and Rushden and Diamonds who offered him a big package.

"But when he came to my home I talked to him about the club and where we were going and an hour later he called back and said he wanted to sign."

The 30-year-old Brazilian made 122 appearances for Exeter and was also a part of the Stevenage Borough team which won the FA Trophy in 2007, before playing for Grays Athletic, Weymouth and Crawley Town.

Afful, aged 25, made 78 appearances for Exeter City between 2001-06 as well five appearances on loan at Torquay United before joining Forest Green.

While there he played for the England C national team, but in February this year he tore his posterior cruciate ligament when he twisted his knee against Histon and missed the rest of the season following an operation.

But he has now returned to fitness and became a free agent, allowing City to move in for the 5ft 6ins forward who can play in a variety of positions.

And McCarthy was delighted to have signed Afful.

"He is a very quick player and will cause defenders a lot of problems and will be a good addition to our squad," said the City boss.

Three quality signing's for Truro City,and with the promise of a couple more signings,it seem's that the

Truro City bandwaggon is going to continue to roll on next season.

Credit crunch do'nt look to be doing to much damage despite what was predicted by the usual people.

The Cockerel is Crowing again!

'Come on you .......

Spurs'

Before his injury Dan Stevenson did Truro City proud, I thought he was the best goalkeeping prospect in British football, has Sean given up on him?

At CURZON ASHTON it was Dan's heroics that ensured City only trailed by one goal going into the second leg, the rest is history, City got to the final and despite his injury Dan again performed brilliantly, I do not think City would have won the FA Vase but for Dan with his performances leading up to the final.

He earned his chance, surely an injury in 2007 hasn't robbed him of his just reward.

TOP MAN - DAN

best prospect in british football?

your joking right?

No Joke the vital word in my posting was "Prospect" although I should have put "Goalkeeping prospect",

At the time Dan was that good, normally goalkeepers take time to develop,

I haven't seen Dan play since Wembley but 2007 was his year.

Before his injury Dan Stevenson did Truro City proud, I thought he was the best goalkeeping prospect in British football, has Sean given up on him?

At CURZON ASHTON it was Dan's heroics that ensured City only trailed by one goal going into the second leg, the rest is history, City got to the final and despite his injury Dan again performed brilliantly, I do not think City would have won the FA Vase but for Dan with his performances leading up to the final.

He earned his chance, surely an injury in 2007 hasn't robbed him of his just reward.

TOP MAN - DAN

Got to agree with you,in 2007 Dan had a great season.But sorry to say that since his injury Dan has never regained anywhere near that sort of form.

Agree Kit,Dan's a lovely and loyal guy,he was outstanding in goal at Wembley,even on that day some people

thought Andy Butcher would play because Dan was out injured for a while before the final,but he warrented

his inclusion.

Just got to say at this present time,I dont think Dan is up to this standard of football,hence Mr McCarthy

having eyes on 2-3 other keepers,in case Martin Rice does'nt stay.