Cornwall Football Forum

London (Olympic) Stadium

baldy

Went to see West Ham v Brighton last night. Everything about the venue is superb. Excellent security, fantastic line of sight even from row 66, stewarding after to Stratford .. Pity the game was poorly contested. I can appreciate why the Olympics were such a success assuming all that was in place. Superb experience.

I went as a neutral. Got my tickets through the "general sale" 16 days in advance. No it's defo not Upton Park. It reminded me (minus the roof) of the Rose Bowl in Pasadena.

The atmosphere was good at the start, I thought, obviously when the goals started to rattle in, the natives turned nasty.

I see that attendances are all nearly 57000 so selling out each game although some seating was closed at the back behind one goal.

I don't mind being a long way from the pitch, better that than those stands where you have to lean forward every time the ball goes near a touchline, but each to his own.

Took 30 minutes from end of game to get on a tube and as I was staying in West London didn't get back till 23:45.

I love visiting new venues. This was my 3rd this season (Taunton, Brackley). I had done "the 92" as of March 1997 but plenty of new grounds since then, most of which are still on the hit-list, but its a lot harder travelling from here than London where I was for 30 years.

• 3 weeks later...

Not quite as determined as you may think. I am a S/T holder at Chelsea who were playing Sat lunchtime, so it was a case of going up the day before to avoid a stupid o'clock start and WH just happened to be on the Friday night. Too good an opportunity to miss but would have taken in any game that evening.

I’ve not been there but a fella I know who’s not missed a Liverpool game home or away for 8 years didn’t go to West Ham this year because of the nightmare journey to and from the stadium!

as for the football side of it, moving there for West Ham makes it easier for other teams in my opinion. Upton Park was a proper intimidating stadium with fans close by, now it just. LOOoks like luxury shite

• 3 weeks later...