Cornwall Football Forum

Complain to BBC Truro City opps! I mean Cornwall

Guest plainmoor

Guest plainmoor

[You should all point your anger to the person in this link, even her picture shows her with a rugby cup, if you feel peed off at the quality of or variation of coverage of sport on bbc cornwall, then this is who you should vent your disappointment to.

Why do reporters follow truro up and down the country...............to get their noses in the door if and when the big time comes to town, thats why, they are thinking about themselves not the ordinary football fan. Why cover a truro home match on the radio when those who want to hear about them will be watching the game, come on bbc cornwall, stop taking the pi$$, As your jingle says "every kick, every goal, every game, I think not, perhaps trading standards need to be contacted here!!!!!

You feature 3 matches on a saturday and brush off anyone else, you certainly don't give score updates as they happen, ohh silly me you do, another try for the cornish allblacks, the sports programme is going downhill fast, it is absolutly pish.......I hear all the cornish footie fans shouting, come back Matt Sandos you were the best.

On another note, I have read a few west britons, would someone please tell me why truro fc get their own full page of write ups plus a fixture list plus match reports and general codswallop, totalling about 3 pages to the detriment of other football teams that has been the lifeline for all reporters over the past few years, now they are in an 'inferior' league the hacks do not want to know them.

Radio Cornwall gives variety in their productions, yes they covered the Vase game were the First Cornish Champions Of a National compertition and like it or not were the highest in the pyramid system at present.

Success will bring more publicity hence the other media coverage that the club has thats what its like from us up to the best teams in the Premier League they will get more coverage because of their achievements.

Personally I hope that the winners of the SWPL will take promotion and move up the pyramid system there will be a similar interest, lets hope Plymouth Parkway progress in their next Vase game they have every chance.

Guest plainmoor

Forget cups, you bought that one, you are a quite good step 5 team in a poxy league, you should not be getting the coverage you do in the papers or on the radio until you have earnt that right and by that I mean not until you are in the confrence south at least. Money brings publicity. Highest in the pyramid system and the highest payers. How much do you have to bribe the media for your coverage?

A lot of this has been highlighted in the thread `The Indy` but this now gives us the opportunity to say what we really think about the coverage on BBC Radio Cornwall. Someone will inevitably say that BBC Radio Cornwall does more than most other local stations with the coverage of local sport and we all know that, my gripe is that the coverage needs to be fair to all. To start, I have no problem with Radio Cornwall following Truro City because like it or not, they are the top football club in the county. The Radio Cornwall Saturday afternoon show masquerades as a sports show and should therefore follow all sports. Why then is there so much rugby and even so much music on it? The rugby does get an awful lot more time giving reports. When Matt Sandoz was the presenter I listened intently because there seemed to be reports from all over the county with four and sometimes 5 reporters covering football games from Penzance to Saltash and he didn't get the names of teams wrong or the grounds mixed up. It seems now that we're down to just 2 reporters and one of those seems to be covering Truro every week leaving just one other game covered. All of this while we have 4 or 5 rugby matches featured every week. Come on Radio Cornwall, give us the service you say! `Every kick, every goal, every game` isn't that what they boast. Remember, there are more followers and players of football in the county than those that follow or play rugby. I'm not saying that we do away with the rugby, just be fair. Give football the same percentage of coverage as rugby and follow a few other sports too. As a parting shot to the girl who presents the show and who's name I can't even remember, "it's a sports show, forget the music. If you want to present music, leave the sport to someone who understands the needs of the county".

Guest plainmoor

Very well said PAciFiC.

Should your frustration get teh better of you this is the one to email your objections to. emma.vardy@bbc.co.uk

At the moment they are not giving the people of cornwall what they want, if they won't change vote them out.

How does the Tom Trust Football half hour sound, produced by Ken Reed? at least they doen't say umm and err every other word or commence every interview with ' how did the scoring go and who scored your goals?' and truro this and truro that......

Either get it right or get out and let someone who wants to give all sports equal coverage. Your not elite, you can be replaced.

Guest Sullivan

I can't see what you boys are complaining about. BBC Radio Cornwall can't cover every game. We should be proud that Truro City are leading the way and have their own page in the papers, how else do clubs become big? Seems like sour grapes to me, every person who supports a local team wants them featured but it doesn't happen because it's impossible to keep everyone happy. You have this site to see every result from the weekend. The rugby is featured more on BBC Radio Cornwall because through market research it is clear that more rugby fans listen to Radio Cornwall then football. I can't see why the big fuss, I would much rather read about Truro FC then Pendeen FC!

Sullivan - I think you're missing my point somewhat. Whilst I agree that Radio Cornwall need to cover Truro City as arguably the top club in Cornwall, they also have a responsibility to cover every club in the county. Pendeen FC are as important to some as Truro are to you and because of that, they need to have a mention. Not every week granted, but instead of belly acheing abouth the `belly achers`, listen to what is being said. It is a `sports program` and it's not very good at the moment and thats why many are turning it off. A radio sport program should encompass all sports and many, including the majority of football clubs are getting a raw deal. It is all rugby and to some extent Truro. Tell me, why haven't Radio Cornwall covered a SWPL Division 1 West game? I see no reason why they shouldn't.

Football aside, why do Radio Cornwall think Rugby should dominate all Week-end with Commentaries both Saturday and Sunday? It's a disgrace to hear it on Sundays as well as Saturday.

The whole damn lot has become more and more amateurish and even on the "big Night" at Hall for Cornwall half the names were missing,though we did get Emma percussing.

Guest Peppermint

I have to agree that Sullivan's posting re Pendeen FC was somewhat rude and offensive and every follower of football is entitled to want to hear about their club. With the risk of incurring the wrath of some of the more sensitive fans of City - there are other football clubs in the County!

I have the utmost respect for City's Management and they will naturally try to maintain a high profile. That though should not be at the expense of the rest of "Cornish Football" and that is what is happening by virtue of that Radio Station's efforts.

I would risk being accused of being a sexist if I voiced my opinion fully.

Good luck to all the Pendeens out there!

Guest Urban Spaceman

i wud rather hear and read about pendeen than truro. its annoying that its always rugby commentry and hardly ever football unless its a big or a truro game.

regarding the west briton i spose when u have rhod mitchell on the truro payroll it helps. and he was another journalist up in almondsbury on saturday

If you want to read about Pendeen Rovers there is a photo on page 55 of the Cornishman Newspaper showing them proudly wearing their new kit sponsored by Barry Hogarth.

Pendeen also won their Junior Cup game against Penryn 1-0 and will play Portreath in the 3rd round on 1st December.

There who said Pendeen Rovers were not as interesting as Truro City!

im not a truro supporter btw

but referring to the comment about truros page in the west brit....people have to realise that there are more truro fans then any other football club in cornwall and there main aim is to sell papers

if the paper has a hole page on truro they will sell more papers then if it had a hole page on pendeen or any other lower junoir team.

Good job you dont read the Cornishman.

This week we had 2 pages of football write-ups (covers SWPL, Combo, Ladies but no mention of Junior football) and 5 pages of rugby write-ups. 2 pages of results and tables for ALL sports. 1 page of grass roots sport like netball, badminton, etc and 2 pages which cover golf, bowls, down memory lane, etc.

One good thing NO MENTION OF TRURO CITY (unless they play one of our local teams in the combo)

Surley the point of the the irritation is one of proportion. Yes Truro may have more supporters than any individual club (maybe) But not more than all of the others collectively. Truro should receive the coverage that their results merit ( and Tommy Mathews was right in saying that it wasn't that long ago that St Blazey occupied this postion).But the balance needs to be maintained and sadly at the minute their appears to be no balance.The lady hosting the programme is blatantly out of her depth. It's not a dig at her because of her ###### it is just a question of ability.The BBC need to address the issue sooner rather than later or the programme will be as popular as the Sunday Independant.

Guest Sullivan

No disrespect was meant towards Pendeen. I merely used them as an example (as they were in last weeks paper) :) I agree that not enough attention is paid to teams below Truro (especially junior football) but that happens through every aspect of sport. Look at national football... Why does Man U and Chelsea get more attention then Stoke (for example)? That's how it is!

Number 9, (Patty), would you say all of those 500 were fans? or are there a large majority of them who are there just to watch a good standard of football? I suspect there are a fair few neutrals that go to watch. Fans are what Falmouth used to have in the 80's and 90's (F Troop), Blazey have a few, Newquay have a few as well, and Truro have some as well, but I wouldn't say they had 500!

Guest crosser

but surely If it invoilves truro its for the good of cornish football so what are you all moaning about,

you should all be standing up and rejoicing the saviours of cornish football

I know a few ex falmouth fans that left falmouth to support truro. i think they are called glory supporters! you cant tell me there is one player there for the love of the club. its the money! Thats why i get bored listening to truro on the radio, they are the perfect example of what will ruin the rest of cornish football. Also keep the same colour kit of your team, truro is red and black. Not gold and white, which is actually cornwall. or do truro think they are Cornwall now? :D

Guest Sullivan

Why are the majority of players at any senior club... Because of the money! I know for a fact Tom Smith and Mark Vercesi are there because of their love for the game and because they want to win things. There are so many envious 'cornish football followers' around. If Falmouth were to climb like Truro I wonder if you would be saying the same thing. Truro FC is good for Cornwall. Fact! Falmouth have had there day as number one, that day is over... Deal with it! As for a kit change, football clubs evolve. Penryn, St Agnes and Troon to name a few are red and black. Why not change the colour (looks much better and links with the cornish identity - I think this shows Truro are proud to come from Cornwall and represent us in national competitons, that they have the ability to win). "Do Truro think they are Cornwall now?" I think they know they are Truro, unless they are really stupid! :D

Someone's obviously hit a nerve with Sullivan. Too much Truro on the radio isn't good for Cornwall. People don't want it rammed down their throats all of the time and Sullivan is definitely missing the point. BBC Radio Cornwall profess `every kick, every goal, every game` and that is not true. If it was to say `Truro's every kick, etc`, maybe that would be more to the point. I am not against Truro's rise in any way, what Kevin Heaney is achieving is fantastic but I am saying that all Cornish clubs should at some stage be mentioned or their games covered on the Radio. It's more than Truro. It's stretches from Morwenstowe to the Lizard and from St Just to Millbrook if they say BBC Radio Cornwall, they should mean it. :D

I agree a nerve does seem to have been hit with Sullivan!!!!

If you want to go on about facts..........

Yes i agree that Truro are good for Cornwall and what they have been achieving is amazing, but.......

As you have said certain players play for love of the game and this is mora then likely true, however the money that these players are on is beyond what certain people get when they leave school and are first year apprentices, also i bet their love of the game would soon leave them if they where only playing for £20 a game?????

They are great players and that is why they asre playing for Truro but would they keep these type of players for £20 a game???? Answer is not a chance, no matter what they say they would not play for Truro if they where only on £20 a game. If another good side came in and offered them a good amount of money would they go??? I believe they would.

Also...... The argument was about the amonnt of coverage that Truro got on the weekend in comparison to the other teams across Cornwall!!

As many many people agree this is unacceptable

Guest Sullivan

I understand the point perfectly, I agree with it 99%. Also no nerve hit, just getting involved with the discussions and voicing an opinion. But if we are talking about footballers wages (part time footballers earning more then apprentices) what about professionals earning more then doctors! That's more ludicrous!!!

I completely agree with the fact the pro's get over and beyond what they should realy get, the apprentice thing was just to try and show that the love of the game slowley goes out the window, i know for a fact and no names are going to be mentioned.... a player earns over £200 game (probably more players out there are the same wage as this but)........ i have seen this particualr plasyer play and a few times and well klet sjust say hes is defo there just to get his money and go home!!!

I just feel there is alot of money involved which is great but certain players do not play for the love of the game just the love of the money!!

Do you see my point?

Guest Sullivan

I defo see your point, I think that the money is a huge incentive. But, there has to be a love for the game at that level what with training 3 nights aweek and travelling away, giving up the weekend away from family. I think that requires a bit of love x

I thought Dave Deacon would have been on by now to give us opinion of the problem with radio cornwall, but he seems to have been very quiet for the last few days.

If you are reading this Dave, please give us an answer.

sully, I dont think falmouth have had their day. Their still only one league below you and could win the title if the top few teams drop a few points. if they went up they would challenge for the western league at a fraction of the cost of what heeney has spent. Same with Parkway they could win the western league and wouldnt have money players dropping down 2 or 3 leagues.

Guest plainmoor

How often on a saturday afternoon are you listening the bbc radio truro oopppsss cornwall and they break to go live to some form of rugby match to give an update on who has just scored? when was the last time you heard them go for a break in the middle of something to go to a football match and give a live update on the score? Hardly ever, there is not an equal split on updating the scores of all games.

Atlantic fm are now jumping on the sports bandwagon and If they keep doing what that are doing then very soon they are going to overtake bbc cornwall as the no.1 for local sport.

What is wrong with having a contact at every game in the swpl and ask them to contact the radio as soon as something happens? and for gods sake please feature more than three games of football on a saturday, put another candle in the holder and see the light!

Anyone care to guess where the bbc sports anchor will be this saturday??................yes thats right because it's only a skip from there to the studio in truro.

Guest Sullivan

Fair point, Falmouth haven't had their day I agree with that. They will be successful at the level they currently play but Truro are No 1 in Cornwall :yahoo:

I think its about time some contributors got in the real world. Bigger teams will always get more coverage whereever in the country you are.

Down in Cornwall I think we are pretty fortunate that local clubs get such good coverage. Other papers and radio stations in most parts of the country wouldnt give local football and rugby a look in. It would all be about the major clubs. So let's be grateful for what we get. Nothing is perfect and we all have to realise that its very difficult to keep everyone happy.

No Falmouth have not had their day. And will one day be number 1 in cornwall! TRURO, What goes up, must come down! Anyway i am off on my holidays now. Sorry everyone for going off track from the topic of radio cornwall being on the truro payroll. Just joking, dont sue me!

Guest Sullivan

I think its about time some contributors got in the real world. Bigger teams will always get more coverage whereever in the country you are.

Down in Cornwall I think we are pretty fortunate that local clubs get such good coverage. Other papers and radio stations in most parts of the country wouldnt give local football and rugby a look in. It would all be about the major clubs. So let's be grateful for what we get. Nothing is perfect and we all have to realise that its very difficult to keep everyone happy.

Hear, hear!

Guest plainmoor

Sullivan et al,

Your all missing the point, no one begrudges Truro their publicity or any other team for that matter, it's just that the radio should get the coverage of teams in proportion, an equal split between everyone, not just the same 3 or 4 teams, parity is all that is required.

Last saturday plymouth parkway were more deserving of air time as it was their 3rd or 4th in the competition were as it was truro's first and they were playing a team from the same league.

Continue to concentrate on one team and you will start to ailienate listeners from tuning in, give everyone equal standing in all sports and people will be happy.

The premiership has no bearing on this arguement, it is a national league, not a regional one and therefore the teams deserve the publicity they get as their support is spread nationwide.

Guest Peppermint

Allforone - AtlanticFM have several other updates from other games in the County. Have to agree with you that they are trying to get other people willing to send in updates for other matches. Ideally the more people willing to send in updates or report games for them the better for the coverage of a whole host of different matches.

I'm not taking sides here because there are many ways that Radio Cornwall's coverage could be improved. The first being to cut out all the unnecessary music, which, by the way, was added a few years ago to "attract the listener who has casually tuned across and decided to stay there". What harm in having a dedicated 4-hour sports show that gives everybody a little coverage whatever your sport?

It seemed to work for us a few years back.

Don't however believe that you're hard done by, if you live in an area that has 3 or 4 teams playing at pro level, even teams with the success of Truro, St.Blazey, and Falmouth hardly get a look in. What chance teams in junior football?

You won't get anywhere by having a rant, put some proposals to Radio Cornwall in a sensible manner and see if you can be persuaded. Dave Deacon, Tom Trust and all the others understand how you feel, just as I did but, having a moan at them is no use, they only work there at weekends and do it for the love of the game,because believe me, they don't do it for the money!

Sullivan et al,

Your all missing the point, no one begrudges Truro their publicity or any other team for that matter, it's just that the radio should get the coverage of teams in proportion, an equal split between everyone, not just the same 3 or 4 teams, parity is all that is required.

Last saturday plymouth parkway were more deserving of air time as it was their 3rd or 4th in the competition were as it was truro's first and they were playing a team from the same league.

Continue to concentrate on one team and you will start to ailienate listeners from tuning in, give everyone equal standing in all sports and people will be happy.

The premiership has no bearing on this arguement, it is a national league, not a regional one and therefore the teams deserve the publicity they get as their support is spread nationwide.

NO they were not playing a team from the same league,FACT ;)

Plainmoor - why on earth would Radio Cornwall want to cover Plymouth Parkway against Ilfracombe? They are both from Devon and wouldn't really be of any interest to those west of the Tamar.

The argument is; the Radio Cornwall sports program are playing too much music, they have too much rugby and a little too much Truro and the lady gets an awful lot wrong. Be warned, the rugby is taking precedence and the football will be given less air time leading to more listeners dumping the show.

At last a response from Dave Deacon!

Well apologies in particular to Ian and the Chairman for not apearing in this debate before now, but believe it or not, I have had a slight problem with getting internet access this week!

However, it isn't really for me to reply on behalf of BBC Radio Cornwall Sport and I have no intention of attempting to do so. I am though pleased to concur with Tommy's comment that it's no good having a moan or comment on this Forum. You should direct your thoughts, comments, complaints and more importantly constructive criticism to the station itself.

In view of this suggestion, I am sending the Sports Producer the links to both this posting and the other one about "the indy", just in case she hasn't seen them.

:thumbsup:

By the way, can anyone guess what game I'm going to this Satuday?

:yahoo:

Guest L Binzo

Dave

Given the amount of interest on this thread I for one hope it is Pendeen.

Have to show my ignorance, but not a club I have taken much interest in, in the past but will be following their results this weekend after these comments

L Binzo

At last a response from Dave Deacon!

Well apologies in particular to Ian and the Chairman for not apearing in this debate before now, but believe it or not, I have had a slight problem with getting internet access this week!

However, it isn't really for me to reply on behalf of BBC Radio Cornwall Sport and I have no intention of attempting to do so. I am though pleased to concur with Tommy's comment that it's no good having a moan or comment on this Forum. You should direct your thoughts, comments, complaints and more importantly constructive criticism to the station itself.

In view of this suggestion, I am sending the Sports Producer the links to both this posting and the other one about "the indy", just in case she hasn't seen them.

:thumbsup:

By the way, can anyone guess what game I'm going to this Satuday?

:yahoo:

is it painters lane ends 3rd team game against lanners 4th team,in the minning div 13 :thumbsup:

Pendeen away to Marazion in a Whirlwind Sports Falmouth-Helston Division Two mid-table clash.

Looks like the Blues will need more than home advantage to stop a free-scoring Pendeen side .... looking at their goals record ... scored 44 in 7, but what a defence ... just 4 conceded. Has to be an away win on the day, but regrettably I will be somewhere else.

"painters lane ends 3rd team game" - shame you couldn't get the spelling right, they might be offended!

No sorry won't be covering this game, if my memory serves me right,we featured them in 1947 when they were in the Mining League top division!!!