Cornwall Football Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

stevieb

is the Cornish football bubble about to burst ?

My point keith B is that they did 'demand' payment. We aren't talking a donation. I know how much it costs to run a club, after all I've been playing or managing for nearly 40 years. Just the attitude of the gateman that was shocking

In that case sir - you were not treated properly or with respect. Sad truth that these people do exist.

There's a lot more to do these days than when we were kids. On the way to watch Port one Afternoon, there was about 50 kids in the skate park - watching the football, maybe 20. That says it all to me. Football today is at saturation on the TV, and for me carries the majority of the blame.

Add to that the lip service paid to grassroots football by the FA, and there lies another part of the problem. Local football is in decline, and will continue to be so for a long time before it stabilises. A lot of clubs will fold in the coming years.

Bad discipline, mainly smart mouths and bad language will also discourage parents from encouraging their children to take part, particularly the vitriol aimed at referees. Unfortunately the empowering of youngsters has done no favours to anyone.

Stevie your'e the first person to reply to any of my posts on the forum , I was beginning to think that Norfolk people were as disliked as the rest of England .

Seriously though , I was suprised how popular skate boarding is among young people I gather that one of the attractions apart from the fitness and co-ordination bit , is that you can turn up when you like , for as long as you like , leave when you like and you don't have to rely on other people to make up a team .

glad to be of help sir ha ha the skate park at hayle was started by a very small goup who attended meetings raised funds and with a lot of persuasion and a little luck i am pleased that my wife and i was involved with the park it is used everyday and when i drive past young and old use it it fills me with a feeling that in a small way i helped with my wife and others to make this happen , but when it opened and we had a photo call all of a sudden there were people i had never seen before up to get their pictures in the local rags the main people who were involved were shoved to the back , i know i digress from football but i think this may happen in this sport as well there are the doers in the background looking for no thanks and the ones who propel themselves to the front when the time arises for plaudits perhaps the fa needs to get down to the grass roots in the counties and have a look at what is happening or try to reduce the costs for people which in most cases are from working class backgrounds to get access to say 3g pitches spread the money around local rural areas and maybe we can get youngsters back into football

There's a lot more to do these days than when we were kids. On the way to watch Port one Afternoon, there was about 50 kids in the skate park - watching the football, maybe 20. That says it all to me. Football today is at saturation on the TV, and for me carries the majority of the blame.

Add to that the lip service paid to grassroots football by the FA, and there lies another part of the problem. Local football is in decline, and will continue to be so for a long time before it stabilises. A lot of clubs will fold in the coming years.

Bad discipline, mainly smart mouths and bad language will also discourage parents from encouraging their children to take part, particularly the vitriol aimed at referees. Unfortunately the empowering of youngsters has done no favours to anyone.

i have in the past reffed some kids games and some parents language towards myself in the middle would make a navvy blush and also the parents try to live their lives through their kids on the pitch , some dont know the rules tell their kids how to play and ignore the coach butt in when he tries to give team talks and then some of them clan up on other kids who may not at that age have the ability of their own little darlings ,some also as i have been informed use it as a glorified babysitting service and when things dont go their way move on to another club and leave others to pick up the pieces i know this is the minority but it does it happen older i have seen it first hand

Youth football is definitely a cheap crèche, have watched my grandchildren play with a few parents, and I mean a few.

A lot drop them off with a wave - and have the morning off. You're right about the gobby parents ( not all ) some are unbelievable, some trainers too, its the world cup to some.

Youth footy should not be too structured, jumpers for goalposts at the early ages would encourage enjoyment and foster natural ability, the must win, play the strongest team to win a league should be removed. Give all the kids a game, it is after all a game, especially at the real young stage,

Some excellent responses. Unfortunately society has changed since I first started playing many, many years ago and I can only see it getting worse.

I'm really going to turn people against me now !!!!!!.I've seen my children and grandchildren play in kids teams and I've watched bits of kids games on local parks . Rightly or wrongly I'm against the majority of this sort of football and I believe it's one of the reasons why the English , Irish , Scottish and Welsh teams international teams are so poor . Also it's one of the many reasons why lower level football is decreasing in popularity ( I think ) .

In the days of poverty in the big towns and cities kids had to play with jackets down for goals , plimsoles or rubber boots on their feet and a ball of some sort , tennis size ball or a cheap plastic ball with a puncture . They played for hours and continually swopped players to balance the scores ,and learnt terrific skills in ball control etc. Individually some of these boys would be kicking some sort of a ball against fences and walls practicing passing , hence the phrase wall pass , running for the return off the wall and controlling the return . Pairs of boys would play keep up with feet and heads . Unknowingly they would be learning vital football skills and as a result when they were able to play school football or adult football they were very good players They were raring to get playing with adults and represent their village , town or whatever .A lot of the better ones were picked up by scouts at 16 , 17 playing for their village teams and progressed to the big leagues .The same thing happened in many sports all over the world .Now it's the poor nations of the world who are producing the top talent , for the same reason . Most kids don't learn these skills now , they are playing from 5 upwards in an organised team being screamed at from the sidelines , and it must be an unerving experience for some of them acting out their parents dream for them .They arrive at 16 having played for 11 years and suddenly theres a whole new world out there , their parents leave them alone and they have a choice with their lives .Football goes out of the window and work and other things take over their lives . Many of you will disagree with me but is it a coincidence that since the creation of youth football in the 70's that the standard of British players has gone down ? Is this because players have'nt been able to hone their skills in the streets .Where are the maverick geniuses like Best , Willie Johnstone , Charlie Cook , Stan Bowles etc etc . Have their skills and flair been stamped on by youth team coaches whereas before they would only to have their mates moan at them for not passing ? Is it a co incidence that clubs are folding at the rate they are nationally with youngsters having had their fill of football , since the 80's .I'm not saying I'm totally right , but those of you involved in teams of under 13's look inwardingly and ask is there and element of truth in what I'm saying .

I might have a lot of explaining to do after this and stay away from Cornwall for the next few months .

Excellent post fenman (see, we are friendly), particularly like the "street footy" angle. Just to widen it a little .. having played league snooker, darts, cribbage, euchre, 5-a-side, table tennis, bridge and other pastimes in my day, all of these have been in decline in terms of the number of participants. Blame sky, video games, the internet or whatever but the numbers in "traditional" activities are not there and footy is one of them.

I'm really going to turn people against me now !!!!!!.I've seen my children and grandchildren play in kids teams and I've watched bits of kids games on local parks . Rightly or wrongly I'm against the majority of this sort of football and I believe it's one of the reasons why the English , Irish , Scottish and Welsh teams international teams are so poor . Also it's one of the many reasons why lower level football is decreasing in popularity ( I think ) .

In the days of poverty in the big towns and cities kids had to play with jackets down for goals , plimsoles or rubber boots on their feet and a ball of some sort , tennis size ball or a cheap plastic ball with a puncture . They played for hours and continually swopped players to balance the scores ,and learnt terrific skills in ball control etc. Individually some of these boys would be kicking some sort of a ball against fences and walls practicing passing , hence the phrase wall pass , running for the return off the wall and controlling the return . Pairs of boys would play keep up with feet and heads . Unknowingly they would be learning vital football skills and as a result when they were able to play school football or adult football they were very good players They were raring to get playing with adults and represent their village , town or whatever .A lot of the better ones were picked up by scouts at 16 , 17 playing for their village teams and progressed to the big leagues .The same thing happened in many sports all over the world .Now it's the poor nations of the world who are producing the top talent , for the same reason . Most kids don't learn these skills now , they are playing from 5 upwards in an organised team being screamed at from the sidelines , and it must be an unerving experience for some of them acting out their parents dream for them .They arrive at 16 having played for 11 years and suddenly theres a whole new world out there , their parents leave them alone and they have a choice with their lives .Football goes out of the window and work and other things take over their lives . Many of you will disagree with me but is it a coincidence that since the creation of youth football in the 70's that the standard of British players has gone down ? Is this because players have'nt been able to hone their skills in the streets .Where are the maverick geniuses like Best , Willie Johnstone , Charlie Cook , Stan Bowles etc etc . Have their skills and flair been stamped on by youth team coaches whereas before they would only to have their mates moan at them for not passing ? Is it a co incidence that clubs are folding at the rate they are nationally with youngsters having had their fill of football , since the 80's .I'm not saying I'm totally right , but those of you involved in teams of under 13's look inwardingly and ask is there and element of truth in what I'm saying .

I might have a lot of explaining to do after this and stay away from Cornwall for the next few months .

very good post fenman your an adopted cornishman

fenman has thrown up some valid reasons for the decline ,the main difference with a lot of us older people is that back then there was very little traffic on the roads now most households have one maybe two cars ,can remember 20 a side on Hayle rec with one ball between us all and the jumpers for goal posts ,most estates even had a team and would play against each other for hours but parents are worried about leaving their children out of their sight and i am afraid society has changed through the eighties as people are now more insular and dont mix . the selling off of playing fields did not help as well ,perhaps there are many reasons or none of the above to the decrease but on the whole it is a post which hopefully has made some people think, guys if any of you can add anymore thoughts on this post please do ,it would be great if we could have some input from rappo who is cornwalls outstanding striker , or dave deacon has he has been around local football for yonks , perry bullock who has been a successful player and manager or maybe someone who has never posted please have ago dont forget you dont know what you have until its gone ask players of teams that have disappeared completely it hurts and i am talking from first hand knowledge , good postigs guys and girls

this has to be one of the best posts for a long time.

I have had nothing what so ever to do with it but footsal seems to be the way forward. the ball is heavier and cannot be lifted off the ground so easily, making skill and movement off the ball more important I think!!!!

stevieb - I think we've done this to death now. On a more positive note I'm sure that, overall, the game we know and love is in good health and with enough people like Tommy Mathews about, it will remain so and survive. Bless em ! :yahoo::c:

Futsal has been around for years but is only really getting on the radar now. It's a fantastic game that promotes skill, decision making, fair play and the skills and techniques are more transferable to the 11-a-side game.

It was first played in South America and is masive around Europe and the FA have been trying to promote it for some time now. If you watch it on YouTube you will see how quick the game is and just why those who play it are fantastic with the ball at their feet. St Georges Park now has a bespoke futsal indoor arena and it's easy to see why they've invested in the game.

Newquay Tretherras have it as part of their curriculum and at Falmouth School we have arranged a futsal tournament for our primary schools where they will get coaching and tuition regarding techniques and the laws of the game before coming up in November for their tourament.

Futsal is a great game and if my memory is correct we were one of the first schools to bring it into the county about 10 years ago?? (Looe community school)

Working with Paul Allsey and the CCFA we managed to get it off the ground but funding dried up and we couldnt sustain it with other restrictions on the budget!

MQx

according to the duchy forum another team has pulled out from their league , also slightly of track st.day rugby club are struggling for players and may have to fold and in an area where rugby imo is the main sport [supported] so it seems that it is not just football stuggling for numbers

The Cornwall FA do NOTHING to helplocal clubs. Despite apparently being one of the wealthiest in the country, I do not know where they spend the money. Surely they should be helping local football

this might be of intrest to any football fans but have been looking at decline in football on the web and have come across a site called just play run by the fa and sponsored by mars [like that bit] its called just play and there are two centres in our area [west cornwall] mounts bay school and helston sports centre starts in oct and its 2 pounds a session for football players of all abilities no set sessions just for the amatuer players who want a kickabout and dont have to worry about turning up in the right kits qualified coaches will be on hand maybe the way forward

this might be of intrest to any football fans but have been looking at decline in football on the web and have come across a site called just play run by the fa and sponsored by mars [like that bit] its called just play and there are two centres in our area [west cornwall] mounts bay school and helston sports centre starts in oct and its 2 pounds a session for football players of all abilities no set sessions just for the amatuer players who want a kickabout and dont have to worry about turning up in the right kits qualified coaches will be on hand maybe the way forward

Not a bad idea that.