Cornwall Football Forum

BE FU***NG CAREFUL...

Look, this is a warning for you all to be extra vigilant in the future. I just went to my local Barclays bank just now to take some money out to pay a few bills and have discovered that yesterday evening somebody took it upon themselves to remove quite a considerable amount of cash from my account. :angry2:

It appears that the biggest amount of cash was withdrawn from a Tesco cashpoint in a place called Winchmore (where the hell is that?).

When I went to the police station to report this, the officer on the desk told me that he had had an earlier incident of the same nature from somebody that uses HSBC. It would appear that some scummy thieving bastard is somehow "cloning" peoples cashpoint cards/account details and making random withdrawals elsewhere in the country. :angry:

I apologise because this is nothing to do with football, however, I figured you could ALL benefit from knowing what's going on and hopefully that bit of extra care can ensure that you do not suffer the same shit as I currently am. :(

Also, apologies to the moderators of this site for my language in this thread. I'm just a little pissed off right no. :angry2:

Coopsie

I am sorry for what happened to you, people these days do not care, about you or me only themselves,

You simply cannot trust anyone,

but here's a tip I never withdraw money from a machine unless it is inside of the Bank,

that way you have no fear of being watched or of camera's that have been fixed to the machine which unless you know where to look you do not know that they are there.

now that this has happened change your card, & revue where & how you withdraw your money,

Simply ( which is sad to say) trust no one,

Yours Hammers

Coopsie, as someone who used to work for a bank, I can tell you that this is not a new thing. Cases like this crop up quite often.

One way of cloning your card they use is to attach false parts to the front of where you put your card into the cashpoint that look real. When you put your card in, it actually goes into the machine but through their parts first (which read the data from your card). You then type in your pin number and use the machine as normal (but unknown to you there may be a pinhole camera concealed somewhere recording you tap in your pin). Thats one way they use to clone cards - so when using a cashpoint make sure that nothing looks different from normal, or what I do sometimes is to actually grab hold of some of the parts and give them a good pull to see if they come off! If you're just not sure about it - don't use it!

One of the other ways they were doing it a while back was to go into petrol stations and say we are here to service your chip and pin machine - the stupid assistants in the garages were going "ok then" and letting the criminals play about with the chip and pin machine and use software to remove card details and pins!

A big problem at the moment is in the foreign call centres where unscrupulous workers are selling card details that have been used by customers to pay bills!

You're right... you have to be very careful!

Coopsie, this is a sh1t mate. You have my every sympathy.

If it helps Winchmore is in North London. Have you been there recently for a Spurs match?

Hope that helps.

His card was probably done down here mate, they go to other parts of the country to commit the crime before reaping the rewards far away - less chance of getting caught.

Coopsie, this is a sh1t mate. You have my every sympathy.

If it helps Winchmore is in North London. Have you been there recently for a Spurs match?

Hope that helps.

His card was probably done down here mate, they go to other parts of the country to commit the crime before reaping the rewards far away - less chance of getting caught.

Midfield, it appears (according to my father in law) that there is more than 1 Winchmore in the country?. Also, if I go upto London to do anything at all, I ALWAYS have what cash I need on my person. Don't forget I grew up there mate and am fully aware of how to conduct myself and take care in the big city.

Apparantly, when I go back into my bank tomorrow, they will be able to tell me at exactly which Tesco etc the withdrawal was made and hopefully there should (according to the police) be some CCTV surveillance because apparantly this is something that all Tesco cashpoints have?.

Thanks guy's for your nice words etc and please don't take this the wrong way. Although I appreciate the nice things you've said and advice you've given, I just wanted to make you all aware of what somebody out there is doing. I never in a million years thought I'd be a victim of something like this, so do your best to ensure you're not next in line.

Guest Sport Lover

Fraud is everywhere, last week I had an email from what looked like the inland revenue (HMRC) saying I am due a refund. The email had the same font, same colours, same logo, same layout etc so I clicked on next and the next screen asked me for my Card details so they could refund to my card. It was then I realised HMRC wouldnt ask me to do that. I reported that email to HMRC.

Guest mauricio

That happened to me twice...

The last time it happened it was a few months ago and i noticed on my internet banking that my available balance was a lot less than the money i had in. I rang the bank and they said they couldn't do anything until i could see the transactions on the statement.

Next day there was a lot more money missing and i rang them again and they said the same...

4 days later i rang them again and then they refunded me all the money without any questions asked!

But my point to them was - why didn't they cancel the card when i rang them on the first day? they could saved some money that way!

Anyway- good luck recovering ur money!

coopsie wats the update on ur girl in the modeling comp

Yes mate. There are still heats going on for other age groups and the final is in London on 13th August. I'll have to make sure she doesn't use her bank card whilst she's there. :(

You should borrow my kids for a few weeks Coopsie, that way there'd never be any money in the bank to get pinched :(

Now that made me chuckle, thanks for the smile. :clapper:

Thanks for the information coopsie, we`ll leave this on the forum to warn others, i`m a HSBC user too so will have to keep a lookout.

That's just my point Paps mate. I'm a Barclays account holder, it was the policeman behind the counter at Penzance station that said he's had a similar complaint earlier today from somebody who was an HSBC account holder. So it seems that we all perhaps need to be a bit more careful?.

you get your money back though don't you mate?

Apparantly as soon as the bank is satisfied that it wasn't me that made the withdrawal, I will be sent some claim forms through the post. Then when those forms have been sent back and filed, I will be sent some forms for something else :rolleyes: and then I will, so I'm told by the oh so helpful staff in the bank :unsure: , that I will hopefully be refunded all lost monies.

I could well have taken the money out of that cashpoint, afterall, I did leave our clubhouse at 6pm lastnight and the withdrawal was made in Winchmore at 6.35pm, I had LOTS of :drink: and have a pretty quick ford focus. Alot of yesterday is a blur, so who knows??

sad state of affairs!!I always use my wallet to shield my pin just in case but then im sure they will find a way to access your cash without it before long :(:angry2::SM_carton:

Apparantly they are able to connect something to the cashpoint machine that somehow takes your card details, account number, card expiry date etc etc and most importantly, your pin number. I'm told that the cashpoint user is left to walk away totally unaware that anything has happened, simply because they have their cash AND their card. The thieves then go and "clone" your card (somehow) and withdraw money using the details they just manipulated from you via the cashpoint.

The person who is being robbed will have no idea whatsoever until they actually check their balance or get a statement. If I hadn't gone to pay some bills today, I would still not have a clue because I've never any need to check my bank. I know when I put money in and I know when I take it out, or direct debits go out, so why would I need to check it?.

I admit I felt like a right stupid idiot when I discovered what had happened (I know, I'm an idiot all the time :rolleyes: ), but after a 20 years of using the same bank with no problems at all, why would I feel the need to be suspicious?.

Now that made me chuckle, thanks for the smile. :clapper:

You're more than welcome Babe :D Hope you get it sorted.

Thanks Princess ;):thumbsup: .. Went back into the bank this afternoon and all the paperwork is being sent out to me to get the stolen money returned, so that's a bonus.

I also found out from the lady in the bank that the Winchmore in question is apparantly in Amersham, Buckinghamshire. It also turns out that the card that was used is my card :o , even though my card is in my wallett :wacko: ..

How the heck have they done that?. :huh:

Simple mate,they didn't actually use your card,but have made a clone of it,read about this once,they just use the strip off a Tesco loyalty card,or similar,and made an identical copy of yours.

The trouble with Chip and Pin is it only works if the shop assisstant can be bothered,a few months ago,my wife and i had a meal in a well known pub chain,and i actually paid for the meal and drinks with the other halves bank card,with her name on it,no chip and pin,just the old style swipe and sign,the barman never even checked the details or the signature.

Always cover the keyboard with your hand when you type in your pin,you never know who or what is watching,and thanks for the heads up.

No Bank or official organisation will ask for your bank or card details,either on the phone or the Net,so if they do ask,chances are it's a scam,don't even give your date of birth,you'd be amazed what that reveals!

Simple mate,they didn't actually use your card,but have made a clone of it,read about this once,they just use the strip off a Tesco loyalty card,or similar,and made an identical copy of yours.

The trouble with Chip and Pin is it only works if the shop assisstant can be bothered,a few months ago,my wife and i had a meal in a well known pub chain,and i actually paid for the meal and drinks with the other halves bank card,with her name on it,no chip and pin,just the old style swipe and sign,the barman never even checked the details or the signature.

Always cover the keyboard with your hand when you type in your pin,you never know who or what is watching,and thanks for the heads up.

No Bank or official organisation will ask for your bank or card details,either on the phone or the Net,so if they do ask,chances are it's a scam,don't even give your date of birth,you'd be amazed what that reveals!

Thanks for that mate, appreciated. ;)

Thanks for that mate, appreciated. ;)

Basically they do it like this:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/1097797.stm

However, replace steps 1 + 2 with an earlier post of mine in this thread:

One way of cloning your card they use is to attach false parts to the front of where you put your card into the cashpoint that look real. When you put your card in, it actually goes into the machine but through their parts first (which read the data from your card). You then type in your pin number and use the machine as normal (but unknown to you there may be a pinhole camera concealed somewhere recording you tap in your pin).

The difference between the BBC article and what i've said is that they find out your pin. This enables them to use cashpoints, chip and pin machines etc. Without the pin they can only use the cloned card on the internet, over the phone to purchase goods etc. With the pin they can the card withdraw cash - a much prefered method, as it doesn't leave a trail back to them.

Hi Coopsie sorry to hear of your card being cloned, but almost everybody in my immediate family has had it happen mine was used in Thailand and our son in law had his cloned in Truro and our daughter has had it done twice. All I can say is never let the card out of your hands and when you enter the pin keep the numbers out of site especially from a video camera.