Cornwall Football Forum

Cornish Football on the Radio

After listening to the many opinions regarding the quality of sports broadcasting on Radio Cornwall and Atlantic etc, I have been doing some work to try and address the situation.

Tonight, after weeks of discussion with broadcasters etc; I am pleased to announce that Dave Deacon has accepted an invitation to present two pilot shows that will be aired on the 7th & 14th March.

I am delighted that Dave has accepted the invitation as clearly his expertise and enthusiasm will be key to the success of the programme.

THE LONG TERM SUCCESS OF THE SHOW IS NOW UP TO YOU, THE LISTENER!

The pilots will give you an idea of what could become a weekly show for the duration of next season and beyond.

Radio St Austell Bay on 105.6FM will be the home of the new shows and ironically given the complaints about too much Rugby content on the BBC; is broadcast from Tregorrick Park, home of St Austell Rugby Club.

They are a community radio station that is operated by a vast cross section of people who are, in the majority, volunteers.

The management have been 100% committed and supportive of the football show thus far and I have no doubt that despite their limitations, this is the way forward for the football community to listen to a show they deserve.

The station can only broadcast to a 5km radius. Obviously the teams within this boundary can take full advantage of being able to tune in at home in the normal way.

It's not all doom and gloom for those who are based further afield though.

Simply visit their website Radio St Austell Bay and you can listen to the show live on your PC from anywhere in the world.

This will prove an interesting and useful media for those of you who have internet capabilities on your mobile phones.

Though not available for the pilot shows, if a full schedule goes ahead next year, each weekly show will be podcast and offered as a listen again feature. (Whether on their site or on CFF has not yet been discussed in full, so watch this space.)

I will highlight the role of the listeners in another post.

SATURDAY 7TH MARCH

SATURDAY 14TH MARCH

DAVE DEACON LIVE ON AIR FROM 5PM - 7PM

If you have any positive ideas or suggestions, please post them here for all to read and debate.

Funding

We have been granted permission to run the 2 pilot shows free of charge.

Long term, the future of the shows will rely upon donations from the football community.

I am not in this to make a penny and nor is Mr Deacon.

Anyone who may assist Dave with the production of the shows next year will be doing it for the "love of the game" also.

Approx £2.5k is needed to cover insurances, band width upgrades, podcasting etc, buy I will not carry the torch for a full seasons broadcasting unless I am sure this can be raised between all of us.

How?

A donation of £5 per listener is encouraged, not capped if you wish to donate more of course.

The amount of people that support Cornish Football week in week out should more than cover the costs.

I would also like to "reach out" to all of the players who play football in Cornwall as the profits will go a long way to helping two very worthwhile causes.

All monies generated after the set up costs have been met, will be split 50/50 between St Johns Ambulance and the Cornwall Air Ambulance.

ALL of us can remember a game where one or both have been needed and they provide a service we should be keen to support, just ask Steve Ovens as a recent example!

Additionally, I will be circulating a letter to all Cornish Football Clubs seeking a small donation.

Not everyone will be keen in the current climate and there will be no hard sell.

The slot will go ahead if enough money is raised and I would like to show the broadcasters who doubted the need for such a programme; that we have pulled it off despite their arrogance, in claiming to know what the Cornwall population requires.

Additionally as football fans, we can raise some funds for worthy causes along the way.

Naturally there will be questions, so please post them publicly or send me a PM.

Has this venture got any cost involved if so why not offer people some radio advertising for a charge to help cover any costs incured.

Lee

I have another meeting with Graham, the station director - next Saturday.

I have already asked him if the costs could be deferred based on obtaining additonal advertisers for him and this is something we will cover next week.

I'll be in touch mate, any other potential advertisers - let yourself be known!

Darren

Ive got a suggestion Darren......get yourself in to Restormel Borough Council as we could maybe benefit from your pro-activeness and vision. Oh....and maybe then try running for MP and get yourself in Parliament and sort that shower out!!

Seriously though, let me congratulate you on your creation so far, Deac's and Radio St Austell Bay and offer my support wherever possible.

Lafs.

I would like to 'echo' Chairmans comments above and wish this venture every success.

I, for one, would happily make my £5 donation - it would be well worth it to know that you could guarantee coverage from around the County. My suggested time slot would be 5 - 7pm - when I come home from a match I like to catch up with everything else that has been happening.

• 2 weeks later...

Just seven days to go before next Saturday’s new way of finding out about all the day’s local football news.

While there will be the usual :

RESULTS – from all around the county;

and

CHATS to the people in the know, including managers, players and anyone at all that wants the county (and the world via the internet) to hear about their game

WHAT WILL BE DIFFERENT is that we are making 2 hours available to do it!

In that time we will also be hoping to feature all the leagues in the county from Southern League down to the Duchy, Falmouth-Helston and Mining

But

I need your help to do this. As a trial run, text me your result for this afternoon’s game to 07759 502408

In the meantime, let me know what you think should also be covered in the programme ..... e-mail me on dave.deacon@cornishsoccer.info

May I ask everyone who is really keen on local football to support this venture please. I'm aware of the endeavour that has already gone into this bold venture, but it will only take off if sufficient interest is shown in these next couple of weeks.

The Radio Station is keen to assist in achieving a worthwhile programme, but it really is down to all of us to give Dave the required input.

Please don't let him and Darren of Soil Sports down because in turn it would be letting ourselves down. :c::c::c: :c:

I genuinely hope this is a big success Unfortunately having to tune in to the internet to listen is not my idea of local radaio so I'm afraid I won't be one of the 30 or 40 or so listeners who will tune in each week. It is such a shame that BBC Cornwall has lost interest in local football Saying that the one thing I have always worked under when marketing is 'easy accessability and free at point of delivery'. Unfortunately this offers neither. Carrying a lap top on my knee when driving home is not my idea of easy access.

I sincerely wish the project every success but I have no idea how you would quantify listening numbers.

Sorry to be such a grump.

Remember that anyone with internet access can listen via their mobile phones.

The pilots are being broadcast live and for those who can listen in, will provide an idea of what is possible with the correct amount of support.

All being well, if the show goes ahead next season, there will be a listen again feature online.

Those who pay their small subscription will be given a login and password to enable them to listen again free of charge.

Those who dont subscribe can pay a one off fee through paypal to listen if they wish.

The football community were not happy with current options and so an alternative is being trialled, lets not knock it quite yet!

Its also worth remembering that 100% of any profits that are made will be split between St Johns ambulance and the Cornwall air ambulance, two very worthy causes

Who knows, if we raise some good money and PR, it may trigger the BBC to react.

That way we can step aside in 12 months time, listen to it back in the normal form and reflect thinking its all been worthwile!

Soil Sports is you station registered on http://www.moodio.fm/, so people like my self will be able to listen on mobile phone?

Forget my last I have registered it on http://www.moodio.fm/ and can now get the Radio Station through my Blackberry Bold 3G (Mobile Phone). Fantastic!!!!!!!!

Word of warning only use if you have unlimited data package on your phone contract!!!

Well i was on the way home today from Porthleven and listened to radio cornwall ! well they can't even get the home team read out first when they give a results out! They are utter crap :SM_carton:

I am looking forward to the new station and as i know Dave will do a good job! :c: