Cornwall Football Forum

Porthleven v Penzance Report

Cornwall Combination League

26th December 2008

Porthleven Reserves 1-2 Penzance Reserves

Penzance came back from a goal down to complete the double over Porthleven in front of a decent sized crowd at a cold Gala Parc on Boxing Day.

Porthleven have the first break, attacking down the left. The ball is fired into the box where Craig Nicholls parries the ball away with the resultant shot going wide. A few minutes later the fire in a cross pitch ball that skims the outside of the upright.

Then Penzance pressure Mark Thomas in the Porthleven goal. A ball through the middle is picked up by Jowan May who shoots but the keeper scoops it away and a defender boots it off the line to safety.

Then Porthleven are awarded a penalty. The ref spots Liam Devine pulling a player back. He gets a booking and Aaron Collick steps up and puts the ball low to the keepers left where it bounces of the inside of the post and in. 15mins gone 1-0 to Porthleven.

The Porthleven keeper makes a poor goal kick which goes to Ashley Gray who fires in a pile driver. The keeper holds it but there is so much power he’s forced to take a couple of steps back onto his line.

Porthleven make a substitution on 24mins.

Then Penzance are unlucky not to go level. A corner on the left goes long to the back of the box where Gerran James heads in. The keeper doesn’t know anything about it as it bounces off him and out and a shot goes over the bar. Gray scuffs a shot just wide from Ryan Holland cross when clear on goal.

Collick runs diagonally into the Penzance area, turns but shoots into the side netting.

Penzance have a free kick on the right. The ball is floated in, the keeper seems to lose it and a header is cleared off the line.

Then just before half-time the ref awards Porthleven a second penalty for a dubious trip. The Porthleven player makes the most of his dive (and will be in the 2012 GB diving squad for the Olympics). Collick steps up but blasts the ball high over the top.

H-T

The second half starts with Penzance making a couple of substitutions.

Porthleven have the first real chance on goal. They break forward down the left into the box. A cross goal shot has to be flicked away by the diving keeper for a corner. Then Collick has another chance to double the lead when Porthleven break quickly down the left catching out the Penzance back four. A cross onto the goaline and the keeper has to save off the feet of Collick who looked odds on to score.

Both teams make a substitution.

Nicholls comes to Penzance’s rescue again as he has to grab a low shot from a cross goal pass.

Then with a quarter of an hour left Penzance get on level terms. A floated free kick from the right sees Liam Devine head in from 6yds. 1-1 after 76mins.

Porthleven push forward and it gets a bit frantic. A couple of Porthleven players are booked.

Then for the second week running Penzance score a late goal. A ball on the right is floated in and the keeper drops the ball whilst under pressure and Gerran James fires the ball in from an acute angle. 1-2 after 88mins.

The ref plays a couple of minutes of injury time but Porthleven can’t break down the Penzance defence.

Penzance Man of the Match for us was keeper, Craig Nicholls. He kept Penzance in the game especially when they were 1-0 down in the second half.

Penzance - Craig Nicholls, Garry Matthews, Tom Withecombe, Ross Badcock, Steve Hancock, Liam Bennett, Ryan Holland, Liam Devine, Ashley Gray, Jowan May, Gerran James

Subs – Ian Philips (Holland 45), Charlie Penny (Withecombe 45), James England (Gray 70)

Corner count Porthleven 1-7 Penzance (0-4 1st half)

Crowd 96

The game was obviously turned by the outrageous performance of the Penzance manager St Justice at half-time. Even in the lavatory for half-time prayers and contemplation, Mother could not miss his stentorian instruction to his band of Christmas saildrums not to underperform, since he was planning to spend the rest of the day on somebody called "the lash" and believed that, in the event of defeat, he might attract opprobrium and mockery in equal measure.

I understand he is about to tour New Zealand. That is not sufficiently distant !

Poor Flacky. I'm always glad that you once tuned out for St Just because it reassures me that, however abysmal a player I was, there was one donkey whose ability and appearance rate was not that much higher than mine. I don't think I've needed to go into a dressing room since relinquishing my secretary role (why would I ? supporters normally don't). Unfortunately my poor old Mum had to listen to your embarrassing ramblings because they were so loud and uncouth, because of the acoustic conditions and the proximity of the lavatory to the panelling of the Gala Prc visitors' dressing room.

She doesn't know you from Adam, although her memory for players is marvellous.

Hope you had a nice time in Penzance being flagellated without the real footballers laughing at you too much, once your Gulval and Mousehole and university boys had rescued what was a good Combo side from the slide over which a manger of your jawdropping ignorance will inevitably preside. I wonder what Trevor really thinks if he ever has to communicate with you about players. I imagine you just do what you're told. New Zealand will suit you. Lots of empty wilderness. :D

Ha Ha Ha you’re really funny for someone who is 74 and still lives at home with his mum.

Remind me weren't PZ Combo bottom last year so not really sure where they can slide. As I have mentioned before I was always aware of my limitations as a footballer, but putting your own name and player in the same paragraph that’s stretching it a bit.

Anyway run along to mother, be a good boy and stop embarrassing her. I'm sure she didn’t let you go away to study for three years, to come on here and make a mockery of your education.

Oh one other thing, I still can't get over the fact that you were hanging around outside the changing room door! You sad person.

No, Flacky, it's no coincidence that your previous club, Ludgvan, were so frequently bottom. I think you're the only connection ! My wife and teenage daughters, with whom I share my main home in Truro, would be surprised to learn that you think I live with my mother, but never mind. You obviously don't like old people: I'm fortunate enough to have met both my parents. Three years of study might enable someone like you to get at least some units of an ND, but my university life actually lasted seven years. It helps me to deconstruct and laugh at people like you, even when you are talking such manure that it disturbs the bowels of others.

I am shocked to read your rubbishing of the past history of your own club. Not much respect for Penzances's impressive history there. I expect Trevor will sack you if this continues.

Enjoy New Zealand, where you can make a new start, maybe as a rugby player or a car park attendant !

Rodney I will make this my last post on this subject but I am sure it will not be your last.

Your right Rodney, I did spend last season helping the then manager Anthony Hosking at Ludgvan, but having a connection with them that’s stretching it. It’s nice to be wanted by any club, but you wouldn't know anything about that!

I find it strange that over the years when I have seen you face to face you have never seen fit to bare your soul as you are doing now. Always very nice to my face but all of a sudden with the benefit of a broadband connection you’re 'Rodney the Brave'.

As for meeting my parents I do see them on occasions like Christmas etc, but living with my mum as you do and never being seen out without my mother, I will leave that to loners like you. Shit, I have just realised I have never actually seen you out with another human being other than your mum. I see where all this hate is coming from, you haven't got any friends and this is the only place you can come and talk/insult people. Well I'm sorry, but having only three friends myself you can't have any of mine.

Now the education bit, it’s so funny that you have to keep telling everyone about what university you have been to and for how long. Ha Ha no one cares!

As for New Zealand what are you going on about?

P.S Sorry about the spelling and punctuation it was just a normall degree for me.

Yeah, typical. You don't like the truth about club finances or personnel aired so you seek to ban me from revealing it. Good old Penzance imperialism.

Yes, Flacky, I have been nice as pie....because I had no idea you were bitter little St Justice before. You were also as nice as pie....pot, kettle and black, eh ? Somebody from East Penwith told me you were off on a world tour, possibly staying in New Zealand. They seemed ****-a-hoop about being rid of you. Maybe they weren't among your three friends.

You obviously feel the need for the approbation of others. I don't. If you wish to pursue your subliminal agenda of undermining St Just you'll need to try a different tack. I could not care less about social unpopularity, if it exists. I would be delighted to spend six months in isolation at the South Pole if it were well paid , were it not for the fact that I would miss football.

And yes, I'm very fond of my mother. I've grown out of the adolescent embarrassment stage when parents are not cool. But then, I am 174. To expect you to have matured likewise by 34 or whatever you are now is clearly too much to ask. You clearly need to go on the lash to reveal your tortured soul. Enjoy your rites of passage. :drink::drink::drink::drink::drink::drink: :D