Cornwall Football Forum

Truro City more determined than ever?

Following the recent Truro v Gosport match, there were some doubts about the way things were going at Treyew Road. I suspect it is just a mini blip, well I hope so for sure. Let's face it, most clubs experience likewise during a season!

Dave i was going to ask you and anyone else who was at the game a couple of questions. You have already half answered them.So to anyone else who watched the game last night,including steve massey, .....

Just coming back after reading some of the other comments placed after mine .... I have only seen a handful of Truro's games this season as I've been enjoying going to some more exotic places on a Saturday afternoon so far this season, but in the City games I have watched to date, I have to say the new signings have yet to excite me.

These "new signings" of course come in two groups : as ex-pros - they obviously have something, but do they still have the passion and desire at this level? And then you have the trainee pros - do they have the determination and physical presence when the chips are down?

There's also been some interesting comments coming from Sean McCarthy over the past week as well. Firstly, on BBC Radio Cornwall Saturday he, more than once, made it known that other clubs in the league have "big" budgets - does one take this as a dig to Kevin Heaney to open the purse-strings a little more; then, what about his comments in this week's West Briton .... "A top five finish would be excellent and my aim is to do that this season, but it may take two seasons."

The reference to "two seasons" is to gain promotion. Interesting, when you read the e-mail sent out just today about recent events at Treyew Road. No intention of coming second in it!

From Vice-Chairman Chris Webb :

"Hi everyone

On Friday morning when I arrived at the ground to my shock all the advertising boards in the car park were gone, I was devastated for all the hard work that people put in here at this club it was very upsetting. Whoever did this for whatever reason, I will tell you know this won’t stop Kevin Heaney or myself from achieving what we set out to do 4 years ago to bring league football to Cornwall.

I will not let the mindless idiots pull this great club down, it makes me more determined to carry out our dream, so we know just pick our self’s up brush our self’s off and get on with the job in hand, and get promotion to the British Gas Business Football League step 3 which will give this club its fourth consecutive promotion equalling the National record.

As I said Kevin & myself will bring League football to Cornwall and I am 150% behind our Chairman what he has achieved in 4 years is amazing and should be recognised.

Regards

Chris Webb

Vice Chairman

Truro City FC"

Hmmm,

So to anyone else who watched the game last night,including steve massey,

I know Steve was at the game, and I know Steve from time to time, like most of the top names involved in Cornish football, looks at this Forum. I wonder if he's going to let us know his thoughts!

Everyone in football has an “opinion”!! And having read the various websites recently, it would appear that one or two people are interested in my views about Truro’s performances and prospects.

Well I actually penned a few paragraphs on Wednesday to post having seen the game V. Gosport, but have sat on them till now.

Looking forward to Truro’s biggest and certainly most important league game for many a year on Tuesday, It will be the 6th occasion I’ve seen the team play this season. During those games I have seen signs of tiny cracks appearing that would give me cause for concern.

I must stress, these are only my personal observations and views, based from sitting on the sidelines and watching as a supporter!

First concerns started at Chippenham in Cup replay. What I observed then, seems to have been repeated in games since. This has raised some doubts. Truro’s promotion push is going to be unnecessarily harder than it should be and worst case, missing out totally!

They are….

1. There are a number of players that when put under pressure are just not good enough.

2. Certain players are being played out of position, so being unable to play to their true strengths and abilities.

3. Defensively it’s not been good; defenders are playing as individuals, and not as a compact tight unit.

4. Under pressure during games, there is a real lack of natural leadership, both ON and OFF the pitch.

5. A lack of tactical “nous” to influence outcome of the games, during the game.

All of the above points are easily rectifiable, and need addressing before we get too far behind in our promotion push.

1. Those players regularly playing below their potential need to be replaced, possible not just from team but club as well!

2. Players not to be utilised around the pitch but played in their strongest positions.

3. Specific targeted training sessions concentrating on defensive cover, using pattern play.

4. Big priority! Not many Roy Keane’s about! Search should be on to find one, Why not start with Gosport’s number 6 (M. Birmingham) the other night, superb he was the difference.

5. Management to have PLAN “B” or even “C”, for them to be more flexible minded with Tactics, when either chasing game or closing game out.

I would like to say, the ground and facilities are superb, Kevin can be rightly be proud of his achievement of bringing not only the team but, pitch, floodlight’s, seating and all things “Truro City” to a level never seen before in the County, and within a time span many doubted.

However, when Kevin, with his burning ambitions to gain promotion, made the decision to appoint Sean McCarthy, (a very talented player at the highest level), he would obviously have taken into consideration his lack of managerial experience both on and off the pitch.

Now we all have to start somewhere in management to gain this experience, but right now Truro needs to take heed of the situation, it really is “sink or swim” time. They don’t want to leave it to late to make up any lost ground and team finds itself with too much to do!

I’m sure that Kevin is aware of all these point and I don’t believe anyone is more committed to achieving promotion than he is.

As I said when started, everyone does and is entitled to an opinion. There will be people who agree with me and of course those that won’t, as usual I look forward to any feedback, whether

You agree with me of not!!!

As a supporter I wish the club and team the very best of luck, visiting the ground on Tuesday it is very clear there is definitely a ‘WILL’ and an ambition in the Club to go the whole ‘WAY’ – maybe they just need to reset the Sat Nav!!

Steve Massey

Guest Postie Pidge

All of the above points are easily rectifiable, and need addressing before we get too far behind in our promotion push

I noticed Steve mentioning "we" and "our", does that mean the rumours are true that you are joining the board Mr M?

I must stress, these are only my personal observations and views, based from sitting on the sidelines and watching as a supporter!

First concerns started at Chippenham in Cup replay. What I observed then, seems to have been repeated in games since. This has raised some doubts. Truro’s promotion push is going to be unnecessarily harder than it should be and worst case, missing out totally!

They are….

1. There are a number of players that when put under pressure are just not good enough.

2. Certain players are being played out of position, so being unable to play to their true strengths and abilities.

3. Defensively it’s not been good; defenders are playing as individuals, and not as a compact tight unit.

4. Under pressure during games, there is a real lack of natural leadership, both ON and OFF the pitch.

5. A lack of tactical “nous” to influence outcome of the games, during the game.

Steve Massey

steve......bloomy, bonjour

i cannot help but read your comments with massive interest, you speak like, how can i put it, a real football man, it therefore came as real suprise when i asked around, and found out that in a number of years in management, with alot of financial backing behind you, you have won nothing?? may i take this time to suggest you sit back and read your comments, and IF you ever buy your way back into a club, you act on them??? The number 5 : A lack of tactical “nous” to influence outcome of the games, during the game would appear to be an area you should pay particular interest to. Whilst i do enjoy readin your comments, and can see how passionate you are about your football, after your massive downfall at falmouth last season, where i am led to believe you had the biggest budget ever seen on these shores, i am little confused as to why you feel you are in a position to offer truro city advice?? i wouldve thought by now after many an expensive season without trophies you may have taken deborah meaden's words of wisdom and said I'M OUT' of local football.

yours in sport

bloomy

We are all aware there are cracks in some of Truro's performances but City are NOT a bad team.

Yes the defence needs tightening but that is being attended to, the manager has already gone a long way to solving the leaks.

I find that City when in full flow attacking look awesome, unfortunately it is in the final third of the pitch it can fall down, shooting from impossible angles/distances when a fellow player is in a better position clear on goal, a lesson in AWARENESS is all that's needed.

Set pieces need a bit of work, at corners in and around the 6 yard box it gets congested, we have players there and on the edge of the penalty area, when the corner is taken everyone moves in even those on the edge of the area, congesting the 6 yard area even more. In most leagues it is a tall defender or the goalkeeper who knocks the ball away, we have no one left on the edge of the penalty area to pick up that second ball, at Bracknell on saturday time after time the ball fell to a Bracknell player triggering off a counter attack, against the AFC Tottons and the Didcots this could be fatal.

All that is needed for improvement is minor tinkering.

Because of my location I only manage to get to AWAY games, much is made about Mr Heaney's cash investment in Truro City, at Southern League level it has to be huge, however, a large amount of that has to be taken up with travelling expenses, that means some other clubs with less miles to travel can pay good wages therefore appearing attractive without the motorway grind week in week out.

The Southern League is very competitive, it would be an exceptional team that could take it by storm.

bloomy, it sounds like you've been asking the wrong people mate!

I had a chat to Steve Massey & Dave Deacon after the match this evening (pleasure talking to you, gents) and Steve mentioned the photograph which used to grace the clubhouse at Treyew Road of him and his management team with the 3 trophies they had won that season.

I'm sure Steve will elaborate on the personnel and said trophies, but suffice it to say - he didn't win nothing!

Steve mentioned the photograph which USED to grace the clubhouse at Treyew Road of him and his management team with the 3 trophies they had won that season.

I'm sure Steve will elaborate on the personnel and said trophies, but suffice it to say - he didn't win nothing!

fair enough, maybe i have been told the wrong facts then!! I would be very interested to see mr masseys role of honour though, i dont think it will be that long!! regarding the trophies at treyew road......were these won under heaney??? and if so, when the budget wouldve been probably 6 or 7 times that of others in the league and when they didnt even win the league if i remember right??? or was this from many a year ago????

anyway, lets look forward to seeing the long list of honours won.....................

Steve mentioned the photograph which USED to grace the clubhouse at Treyew Road of him and his management team with the 3 trophies they had won that season.

fair enough, maybe i have been told the wrong facts then!! I would be very interested to see mr masseys role of honour though, i dont think it will be that long!! regarding the trophies at treyew road......were these won under heaney??? and if so, when the budget wouldve been probably 6 or 7 times that of others in the league and when they didnt even win the league if i remember right??? or was this from many a year ago????

anyway, lets look forward to seeing the long list of honours won.....................

You obviously haven't followed local football much over the years then!!!

Mr Massey won the treble for Truro when Falmouth were at their pomp as well. Mr Heaney wasn't even thought of back then, Truro wore traditional Black and Red stripes back then!!

You are also aware that Mr Massey has played professional football, youngster player ever to play for Stockport County? Manager of the Cornwall county team. So I think he's pretty qualified in having his opinion.

so am i right in suggesting that massey has won 3 trophies in total then???? that is very impressive, but he could have got them alot cheaper in varley trophies!!!

i hope hammer you werent suggesting my 'bonfire'......because it is still burning very bright .....

still waiting for an honours list..................

Guest hammer3

Of course i was suggesting your bonfire.

You came on here, made a ridiculous statement and was shot down in a blaze of glory by not one, but indeed two different people :)

:drink:

Bloomy,or gloomy as i remember you in the changing rooms at Falmouth Town!!!

Whilst a forum of this nature invites users to offer their opinions, it is not a medium to vent your anger due to your own misgivings.

Get over the fact that you were bombed out, along with your other two amigo's, for performing exactly as you are on this forum, trouble causing.

Whilst Steve, offers his personal opinion, and in my mind can do so with some qualification, you hide behind the truth, that you yourself are a FAILED footballer, so let bygones be bygones, carry on playing where you can, take your money and continue to falsify your credentials as a player, and grow up!!!

As for Honours, keep polishing that certificate, you know the one they give you when you are released!!!

Having read the previous post i am assuming that Bloomy is a former Falmouth Player. Who is he? and who are the other two amigos? are they trouble makers? Did they have any thing to with the demise of town in any way?

I see u have made quite a stern statement bailey so I guess bloomy has upset u in some way in the past. Who was he a pro with if u say he is a failed footballer?

Bloomy,or gloomy as i remember you in the changing rooms at Falmouth Town!!!

Whilst a forum of this nature invites users to offer their opinions, it is not a medium to vent your anger due to your own misgivings.

Get over the fact that you were bombed out, along with your other two amigo's, for performing exactly as you are on this forum, trouble causing.

Whilst Steve, offers his personal opinion, and in my mind can do so with some qualification, you hide behind the truth, that you yourself are a FAILED footballer, so let bygones be bygones, carry on playing where you can, take your money and continue to falsify your credentials as a player, and grow up!!!

As for Honours, keep polishing that certificate, you know the one they give you when you are released!!!

ouch!!! that has obviously hit a nerve!!!

you are obviously very jealous of mr bloomy, i was just staing the facts....they do not lie, at no time did i mean any offence to mr massey.

anyway, whilst i wont drop to your very low standards and start hurling abuse at people, i will sit back and polish my cerfificate (although i have never had one for being released) along with my bald head, and shine it at a later date. if you are talking about the 3 players that were 'let go' by falmouth last season...i remember seeing them celebrating in the indy with the league title...they mustve been gutted!!!??

oh and hammers, i think lee cooper won the treble at truro!!

yours in sport

bloomy

p.s great name.........i love baileys

mwah mwah ######

After the great away win at Didcot on Saturday it looks like the determination & team spirit is still there.

I shall be there, at Treyew Road Saturday 20th hoping to see City extend their current unbeaten run.

So will I BigG,rain or shine.Far to early to count City out of the race yet.