Cornwall Football Forum

Argyle ace to return for City?

Thisiscornwall.co.uk ©

Argyle ace to return for City?

FORMER Plymouth Argyle striker Ian Stonebridge could be poised to make a dramatic return to football with Truro City just a year after quitting the professional game because of illness.

The 26-year-old, who started his career with Tottenham Hotspur, has started training with City and manager Sean McCarthy, who played with Stonebridge at Argyle, said they were hoping to work out a deal which would enable the forward to tun out for the club in the Southern League.

Stonebridge, who scored 38 goals in 170 Argyle appearances, had to retire from the professional game in March last year because of a persistent joint injury named Reactive Arthropathy.

But now it looks as if he could get back to playing again and the 6ft striker would be a major asset as City bid for a fourth successive promotion.

“At just three quarters fitness he would breeze through this league,” said McCarthy.

“Obviously he has got to prove his fitness but I know how good a player he is.”

It is possible that he could join the Treyew Road outfit on a pay as you play basis.

City began training last Thursday and a delighted McCarthy said the players were “absolutely flying”.

City have a hectic pre-season programme of friendlies starting against Arnold Town on Saturday week with Exeter City to follow at Treyew Road on Tuesday July 15.

Other friendlies include matches against Argyle, Torquay Utd and Crystal Palace as City prepare to make history by becoming the first side from the county to play in the Southern League, whose fixtures are not due to be published until July 15.

McCarthy intends to use the games to give run-outs to a number of trialists as he looks to finalise his squad following the arrival of ex-pros Matt Hockley and Barry McConnell.

One or two more new faces are expected to join before the start of the season.

He also revealed he had not yet decided on who would captain the side in the new season.

Not sure he would be much of a signing myself as he was told so I think that he should play competitive football by doctors. I maybe wrong. but if so, the tackles on players at any level are just as hard as the premiership etc, just a little less classy so just as much chance of injury.

When fully fit should work well with Yetton,with that height and experience should make a fearsome partnership.

With all these ex pro's being signed,City should have a good squad for the new season.And with lots of friendlies coming up in the next few weeks should see some good gates at Treyew Rd.

Come on let's get the season started.

KIT.