Cornwall Football Forum

The ECPL SGM (surprises)

Guest thebigfella

91 x 55 is small, but does enable Senior (and by that I mean adult) Football to be played on it. It only means that the pitch will not be allowed to be used further up the pyramid as the minimum requirement for the SWPL is, like Phil says, 100 x 64.

Clubs seem to moan about the size of the pitch at Tamarside, but it appears that Salt Mill is even smaller than that!

As for the surface I don't honestly see any problem. The modern 3rd generation technology is so much like grass it's scary. Yes, the ball does tend to react differently in the wet, but it does on grass too. I can't see that it will be any different to playing at the beginning, or end, of the season on dry grass pitches. In fact there is alot more 'give' in a 3G surface than a bone dry grass pitch in August.

Injuries? Perhaps Chairman could offer some explaination as to the type of injuries he might be expecting from using this surface. I would have thought, taking into account some of the poor grass surfaces in the league, the risk of injury will be reduced, rather than increased. This is not 'astro turf'...

Perhaps players are worried that they won't have any divots or bobbles to blame their poor touch on!!

Having seen pictures of Saltmill, it would appear to be totally unsuitable for spectators and questionably a Technical area.

The FA demand strict certification and registration,can someone assure us that this is being done.

There will be more risk of burn type injuries and all-in-all we are being taken down a most undesirable route.

"The FA demand strict certification and registration"

The FA were involved in the funding of the pitch via the Football Foundation so clearly there are no problems.

Borough will look to instal a temporary fenced area for match days for spectators within the permanent fencing.

There is plenty of room for technical areas.

I for one was and still is 100% against this type of surface. But what's done is Done. All I can suggest is that clubs ensure their players are insured against injuries sustained on this type of surface and get on with it.

I agree with ECPL. What is done is done. There needs to be some clarity on a lot of pending questions. Does the CCFA's insurance cover 3g pitches? I'm not 100% on this but isn't there a ruling where opposition teams can train on the 3g pitch prior to game? & who will incur the hire costs?

The CCFA have now set the bench mark. If you are a team looking for promotion and don't have adequate facilities, then get access to a 3g pitch and let the controversy begin!!!!!

The CCFA have no right to dictate to any League as to the pitch requirements and this should be stopped now.We are allowing our League to be dragged down and will regret the weak actions of the Management League.

Imagine a League filled with teams playing on Community College pitches enclosed by mesh wire fences.

I give up

Chairman you had your chance to get someone from St Blazey to pass on your objections at the SGM about this matter. Have you sent a letter of complaint to the ECPL. Have you sent a letter of complaint to the CCFA. Have you got the signatures of 2/3rds of the ECPL to force an SGM, because coming on here isn't going to make a jot of difference if you have not.

Having had the pleasure to play on the 3g pitch at Tretherras and having had the chance to play at locations such as The Saltings (St Ives), I think it is safe to say that you could get a graze, burn, twist, break, sprain etc on either pitch depending on the time of year... but I never fell down a rabbit hole or a golf bunker at Tretherras!!

Having spent four seasons playing 5-a-side on 3G I can recall three serious injuries on the 3g pitch in that timescale. None of them were a result of the surface, they were actually due to clumsy tackles, something that unfortunately happens on grass pitches too. As a goalkeeper I never suffered any burns (even when the 3G pitch was dry) and I didn't even wear a pair of Dmitri Kharines or even a pair of Gabor Kiralys!!

I can understand the concern, especially amongst those that may not have had the chance (or may never have the chance) to actually play on such a surface. Although astroturf isn't necessarily a new concept, some traditionalists may not agree with the introduction of 3g pitches, however, if they are sanctioned then I guess it's immaterial if they agree or not. The football league banned the old-style surfaces in 1988, seven years after the first one appeared, so you never know, the Cornish FA may get around to it dreckly.

As for the unfair advantage? Any team that scores more goals than the other has an unfair advantage, whether on grass or on 3G. I remember QPR beating Liverpool the early eighties on the old astroturf, it must have been the pitch. It was such an advantage they finished in the top half of the old division two whilst Liverpool languished around the top of the division one table in a very disadvantaged state.

In fact, if any of you were asked which subbuteo pitch you preferred - the rolled up, super-flat astropitch or the bobbly, creased, fucked up 'grass' one, I know what you'd say - hypocrites!! :SM_carton:

Best of luck to both P6's and Borough, I am sure the next season will be an interesting one...

ggun313l.jpg

Guest thebigfella

Looks nice doesn't it? Lush green surface, no bobbles, divots, rabbit holes or ruts... Lovely. Plenty of room for some dugouts, and even a spectator stand outside the metal fencing at a later date!

I take your point to a certain extent Chairman, but your main concern appears to be about injuries to players and I can't honestly see why you would sustain any more injuries playing on this surface, than you would a grass pitch.

A 3G surface is absolutely nothing like the old QPR, Oldham and Luton surfaces of the 80s. It is nothing like those you find at most Community Colleges... other than at Callington.

My only concerns are the size. Why invest all that money in a playing surface that is so small?

My main concerns are equally the question of possible injuries and the decline of overall facility.

This is Senior Football and we should all be working to maintain and even increase the standards of the League, not just the well being of individual Clubs.

I commend St Stephens on their promotion, I have nothing but admiration, I just want it right for everyone else.

Having completed a couple of training courses on the Callington all weather pitch, i hope nobody is saying its a great surface becuase when we did the courses in the winter months it was appalling. It held water and wasn't level in places and if this the way its going perhaps we should start a football league with only grass pitches are allowed.

Chairman i am with you on the injuries, i lost a couple of players last season for 3 weeks due to burns.

Artificial pitches, Plastic movable dugouts. What next spectators made out of cardboard to make it look like the place is packed.

I would comment on the referees, but my experience last season we already have enough muppet referees who want to be centre of attention, they will love the smaller pitches, get to see more of them.

ECPL you asked if the chairman contacted anyone in repsects to a 2/3 majority being against these pitches.

Think you will find 27 out of 28 Said no when they were sent a letter by the ECPL.

Hi Johnnie, how are we in this position then? I read somewhere that the CCFA had approved it for the Senior Cup and that seems to have been the point at which acceptance by the Management Committee was made.

The rules of the Senior Cup state that the Home club must be able to charge admission otherwise the tie will be switched. Where do we stand on this one.I have just spoken to someone very instrumental in the formation of Saltmill and he considers it unsuitable for Senior Football.

I am going to send ccfa and the fa a letter to see what we need to do to start a new league in cornwall. (grass pitches only)

Money not an issue already got sponsor.

Boro deserve there right to play in the ecpl and they are also a well run club with some good people. Its a shame they couldn't have found a grass pitch to play on.

Guest Urban Spaceman

Plastic movable dugouts

no different to what plymouth parkway had when they played at brickfields and in the infant days of their new ground

Well, I played a match on the "controversial" saltmill pitch yesterday (Sunday) and i thought I might aswell weigh in with a unbiased view. (Might aswell as I'm gonna be playing on it next year ! !)

The changing rooms are of ample size and after taking note of some of the views on this thread the pitch size is also adequate. There are certainly smaller pitches in senior football ! !

I wore moulded studs and expected to feel resistance but there actually was alot of give in the surface due to the top layer of loose rubber, so from this point I don't think injuries are any more likely on this pitch than any grass pitch early or late on in the season when the ground is hard.

However, sliding tackles are out the question as several of our players have burns to the knees and legs, which when I got in the shower I screamed like a girl ! !

I know most players are urged to stay on their feet, but this may take the competitve edge away from any match played on this type of surface.

The only question remains is the supporters area? If they stand outside the 12ft fence then St Stephens Borough cannot possibly charge for admission, if they let supporters in then there will need to be a temp fencing around the perimeter.

I personally don't mind playing on the surface just the once a year, but I wouldn't like to play on it week in week out as the St Stephens players will be.

:wacko::wacko::wacko::wacko: :wacko:

The only question remains is the supporters area? If they stand outside the 12ft fence then St Stephens Borough cannot possibly charge for admission, if they let supporters in then there will need to be a temp fencing around the perimeter.

I am told by the site Manager that no-one can be charged admission on this Community site. The CCFA rule for Senior Cup states that if the Home side cannot charge admission then the fixture is reversed.By inference then, how can tha CCFA be endorsing the pitch?

I have been informed by the League Secretary that the Management Committee do not find the facilities suitable for this League.I am told that the CCFA would accept St Stephens on appeal. I think the League Officers and Member Clubs should have stood up to this.

Richard Trewin and the Site Manager doubt that it is totally suitable for competitive Adult Football.They do not know if there is a current certificate to state that the pitch meets the necessary criteria regarding bounce etc.and have gone back to Barclays Groundforce to attempt to find out.

The FA require all such pitches to be certified Annually and even then will accept no responsibility for injuries sustained on them.

I have written to CCFA but received no acknowledgement, this surely has been given no real thought and remember there is yet another side in Duchy Football that could creep in on such a totally unsuitable facility.

Having seen pictures of Saltmill, it would appear to be totally unsuitable for spectators and questionably a Technical area.

The FA demand strict certification and registration,can someone assure us that this is being done.

There will be more risk of burn type injuries and all-in-all we are being taken down a most undesirable route.

Sorry Chairman, I think you will be proved wrong about the 3G pitches leading to more injuries. In my opinion they are the way forward for the sport, and in 20 years the majority of pyramid clubs will be playing on them. I have seen many matches on plastic pitches from the older ones at the likes of QPR to the newer ones at Durham City and The New Saints and can't believe the progress made in the technology. They aid proper ball playing sides and in my experience lead to more entertaining football.

I haven't seen the Saltmill facility myself so won't comment on the suitability of that, but then spectator facilities at a number of existing ECL grouns isn't that hot either, is it?

One final point, does the acceptance of Plymstock Reserves mean they have installed new showers? I am lead to believe they had only communal facilities last season which does not meet ECL ground grading requirements.

--

Richard