Cornwall Football Forum

New Penzance Manager

Taken from the Cornishman Newspaper ©

"MEWTON SAYS YES TO MAGPIES"

09:00 - 17 April 2008

One of Cornish football's worst-kept secrets finally became a reality on Monday when the county's most successful football manager, Trevor Mewton, was appointed as the new man at the helm of Penzance AFC.

Following weeks of widespread speculation, Mewton has beaten what Magpies' chairman Neil Badcock described as a whole host of top managerial candidates to the Penlee Park hotseat, which had been vacant since the departure of former management duo John McCallum and Adrian Ferrell last month.

"We're absolutely thrilled to have brought the man who we consider to be the top manager in Cornish football to Penzance," Badcock told The Cornishman. "There are exciting times ahead for this football club and we are looking forward to Trevor playing a leading role in helping to establish the club as a major force in Cornish football."

Mewton has this season led Truro City reserves to a Combination League Cup success and they are champions-elect of the Combo.

His departure is a blow to Truro, who yesterday saw first team boss Dave Leonard walk out after being told that City will not be going full time in the Southern League next season.

Mewton, 61, was the most successful manager in the old South Western League's 56-year history, winning 13 South Western League titles in his managerial career; four with Newquay, two with Falmouth Town and seven during his 10 years in charge of St Blazey. His most recent success came in the league's final season, and his last in charge of St Blazey in 2006-2007.

The pinnacle of his career was the 2001-02 season, when St Blazey swept the domestic board by winning the league (33 wins, three draws in 36 games), league cup, Cornwall Senior Cup and Cornwall Charity Cup.

However, Mewton was quick to play down his impressive array of past achievements and insisted that they would count for little in the future. "What really attracted me to this job was the challenge of building a club from youth level right through to the first team - and the opportunity to leave a lasting legacy here, something which I possibly feel I failed to do in any of my previous jobs," he said.

Introduced to the club's committee at their monthly meeting on Monday night, Mewton admitted that he had been surprised as anybody when a telephone call to Penzance secretary John Mead had first alerted him to the vacant manager's position.

He said: "I was contacting John about a completely separate football matter, in relation to a league technicality - and as this was around the time that the club were advertising for a new manager, John immediately assumed that I was contacting him to express an interest in the job.

"I must be honest, if someone had asked me six weeks ago if I would be sat here as the manager of Penzance, there's probably no way I would have considered taking it on," he added.

"But since then, having spoken to John, who I have known for many, many years, and chatting with Neil and listening to the ambition they have for the future of the club, I could see that this was a fantastic opportunity for me and one which was just too good for the old man to turn down."

Mead added: "We are delighted that we have managed to secure the services of a manager of Trevor's calibre and see his appointment as a massive boost for Penzance AFC.

"The tremendous achievements of our local rugby clubs only highlights our own lack of success in recent times. The committee is determined to ensure that Penzance AFC will once more become a force to be reckoned with in west country football circles and see Trevor as a major ingredient of that process.

"We hope we will be able to rely upon the support of the people and businesses of Penzance to help us achieve our quest."

Despite his name becoming synonymous with success in his distinguished career, Mewton insisted he had no quick-fix formula that would guarantee the club short term glory.

"There's no doubt in my mind that a town the size of Penzance should have a team in the premier division of the South West Peninsula League," he said. "But I don't have a magic wand and I'm not going to make promises that we will go and win the league within 12 months or anything like that.

"For me it's all about attracting the best local players to this football club and offering them the chance to progress with us, to wear the black and white shirt with pride again and perhaps most importantly, offer them something to aspire to.

"We will turn no-one away, but ultimately their ambition has to be to play premier division football," he added.

When asked what were the main factors in attracting quality players to the club, Mewton was unequivocal in his response.

"Facilities, facilities and facilities are the three most important things when you ask any player to join a club," he said, an opinion with which chairman Badcock wholeheartedly concurred.

He said: "We will be investing heavily in our pitch and facilities during the summer. It's absolutely vital that we support Trevor and his players by producing a true playing surface which will offer them every opportunity to play fluent attractive football.

"To that end, there will be a massive reduction in the number of games played at Penlee Park, while we also press forward with plans for improved training facilities which will be of great benefit to all our teams, from the youth and ladies through to the reserves and first team."

Mewton, who informed Truro City officials of his decision to stand down earlier this week, will take full-time control of the Magpies when they return for pre-season training in late June."

Guest Terrier Tom

Nice one CTB :rolleyes:

Give us a break HP.

We need someone with man management skills who can put a team together with a kind word in the ear here, a little chivvy-up in training there, gelling old and new players.

We certainly don't want someone who has been able, due to having a big budgets, buy players "off-the shelf" and put a team together that way.

Money isn't the way forward for Pz but a fiercly loyal band of players who want to play for the club not a wage packet.

We need to build 1st and 2nd teams, and set-up for the future not "go for glory" over a couple of seasons.

CTB

P.S: After your continued criticism of 'money' in football, I take it you won't be such an ardent fan next year with the Penlee outfit having the County's biggest financial outlay at that level??

:rolleyes:

Still against vast amounts of money in the local game. Totally distorts everything. How can anyone in SWPL West be worth £100 plus per week. Football is a pastime not an income. How do you think players of a reserves combo team react when they know their clubmates in their 1st teams in the SWPL are earning good money whilst they play for free.

Anyway I support Penzance seconds first and the firsts second! Cor that's confusing. Gonna go sit down now my heads spinning.

Money on facilities first then the team. I've been pi$$ing up against the same toilet wall at the ground in the same toilet without a roof for 30+ years. Time for an improvement.

CTB

Still against vast amounts of money in the local game. Totally distorts everything. How can anyone in SWPL West be worth £100 plus per week. Football is a pastime not an income. How do you think players of a reserves combo team react when they know their clubmates in their 1st teams in the SWPL are earning good money whilst they play for free.

Anyway I support Penzance seconds first and the firsts second! Cor that's confusing. Gonna go sit down now my heads spinning.

Money on facilities first then the team. I've been pi$$ing up against the same toilet wall at the ground in the same toilet without a roof for 30+ years. Time for an improvement.

CTB

LOL HAHAHA, YEAH AND THE WOMEN DON'T EVEN GET A TOILET (INSIDE THE GROUND) SO FEEL GREATFUL THAT U DO, MAYBE IMPROVE THE BASICS FIRST. gOOD LUCK TO MR M, WHO I MET ON WEDNESDAY! ######