Cornwall Football Forum

Observations from Liskeard v St Austell CSC S/F FT 0-1

Observations from Liskeard v St Austell CSC Semi Final.

Firstly, excellent staging of the game by Lanson, as ever.

Game, set and match to St Austell. Four meetings with the Blues and three wins and a draw in their favour this season. No arguing with that. For all their attractive football Liskeard fall short again.

Overall it was a tight game which could have gone either way, but once they went in front I rarely thought the Blues would turn it around. When on around the hour mark Cal Merrin earns himself a daft sending off, I always felt St Austell had the know how to see the game out. To beat St Austell from a goal and player downs was always going to be really tough ask.

St Austell denied  Liskeard space and were a model of organisation, whilst breaking quickly. Liskeard edged chances created, although these were few, but lacked any conviction in the final third - very strange in view of the number of goals they have scored. Max Gilbert was a huge miss from their line-up. 

Strange too, when tactically, St Austell were doing a number on them, the Blues playing style or temp didn’t change much. More of the same just didn’t work.

Jam Tart was with me at the game. He said, like I’ve often said, the Blues are the best footballing  side in the SWPL-W, but falling short in the biggest games is becoming an unwanted habit, this time to a deft headed Eddy finish.  Yesterday reminded me of the number St Blazey had on the Blues n the league game at Lux Park last year. The free flowing style was nullified by experienced heads, disciplined organisation, denying space and being able to take an opportunity when it presents itself.

Overall a very impressive, albeit few frills or thrills, from the Poltair boys. I think they just about deserved it. Good luck in the Final.

8 hours ago, The Badger said:

Yeah enjoyed the evenings football summarized well above although i think Liskeard were the better side and continued to be with 10 men. Red card could easily have been a yellow and if happens anywhere else on the pitch is one.  

Didn't happen anywhere else though and always would be a red when pushing someone over a wall.