Cornwall Football Forum

RESULTS - Thursday April 18, 2024

12 hours ago, Football not soccer said:

Now that they safe, how many do you think they will get watching then next season?? I think a few, will go to have a look early on 

Yeah I think crowds will be pretty healthy early on. Hoping the owner get us the 3-4 players the club needs to kick on. Namely two wide players with quality, a defensive midfielder, and I'd probably look at the full back positions as well, depending on if Sam Saunders can be lured back, then maybe centre back.

2 hours ago, Craze said:

Yeah I think crowds will be pretty healthy early on. Hoping the owner get us the 3-4 players the club needs to kick on. Namely two wide players with quality, a defensive midfielder, and I'd probably look at the full back positions as well, depending on if Sam Saunders can be lured back, then maybe centre back.

A good start in the league will do wonders for attendances. Not sure when Langarth will be available, but a few pre season friendlies in Cornwall would also be good in building awareness and links to the locals.

Definitely need to add a few in key positions, also a bit more squad depth required. Suspect that there might be a bit more transition on the playing side than we've seen recent seasons, a few of the older Plymouth based players are probably reaching the end of the road at step 2 level.

Do think that the coaching and support for Paul Wotton needs looking at. It's basically just him and Stewart Yetton at the moment, which contrasts with the small armies of staff that you see at some other NLS clubs.

17 hours ago, Ian Pethick said:

A good start in the league will do wonders for attendances. Not sure when Langarth will be available, but a few pre season friendlies in Cornwall would also be good in building awareness and links to the locals.

Definitely need to add a few in key positions, also a bit more squad depth required. Suspect that there might be a bit more transition on the playing side than we've seen recent seasons, a few of the older Plymouth based players are probably reaching the end of the road at step 2 level.

Do think that the coaching and support for Paul Wotton needs looking at. It's basically just him and Stewart Yetton at the moment, which contrasts with the small armies of staff that you see at some other NLS clubs.

Yeah that’s a good point. The club needs to move towards the pro end of the semi-pro scale. Both on and off the pitch

58 minutes ago, Craze said:

Yeah that’s a good point. The club needs to move towards the pro end of the semi-pro scale. Both on and off the pitch

Everyone associated with Truro City Football Club should be proud of what they’ve achieved this season, especially Paul Wootton, but from the outside, I’m finding it very difficult to see how the 1st team can progress or maintain their position without somebody with very deep pockets. Rather than look to progress, they should financially consolidate the club.

11 minutes ago, Yourhavingalaugh said:

Everyone associated with Truro City Football Club should be proud of what they’ve achieved this season, especially Paul Wootton, but from the outside, I’m finding it very difficult to see how the 1st team can progress or maintain their position without somebody with very deep pockets. Rather than look to progress, they should financially consolidate the club.

Pretty much the same discussion everybody has been having regarding Truro City for much of the last 15 years.

Regarding the new owner, he talks very well and sounds like he has good intentions, but (in my mind at least) I keep coming back to "what's in it for him?"

We'll find out in the next 12 months or so what the new regime means for the club.

2 hours ago, Yourhavingalaugh said:

If it were me, I'd keep the first team ticking over, but place an emphasis on Truro becoming Cornwall's academy, and look to try and build a side organically, using Cornish youth.

42 minutes ago, Craze said:

If it were me, I'd keep the first team ticking over, but place an emphasis on Truro becoming Cornwall's academy, and look to try and build a side organically, using Cornish youth.

Not sure at the moment what value Truro City are getting from running a side in the Peninsula League. I understand that they need a progression pathway for the under 18's and want to keep the side together, but it is too big a gap to the NLS in terms of playing standard. Would think that a useful option would be for them to loan out their better youngsters to step 3/4 teams for playing experience, and then have them develop as potential first team players in the future. Something along the lines of what Tavistock do with their development program.

12 minutes ago, Ian Pethick said:

Not sure at the moment what value Truro City are getting from running a side in the Peninsula League. I understand that they need a progression pathway for the under 18's and want to keep the side together, but it is too big a gap to the NLS in terms of playing standard. Would think that a useful option would be for them to loan out their better youngsters to step 3/4 teams for playing experience, and then have them develop as potential first team players in the future. Something along the lines of what Tavistock do with their development program.

Agree with that. In practise they are turning out potential step 4, 5 & 6 players in small numbers which is great but not very useful for the first team. Potential because the likes of James Swan, Kaiden Gordon-Dunn and Jacob Grange (All Falmouth Town players they have signed from Truro 2nds) were not step 4 quality when signed but are now after further development from Falmouth.

Truro are just providing players for other Cornish sides to sign on and develop when they have outgrown the Peninsula League. 

33 minutes ago, The Town Man said:

Agree with that. In practise they are turning out potential step 4, 5 & 6 players in small numbers which is great but not very useful for the first team. Potential because the likes of James Swan, Kaiden Gordon-Dunn and Jacob Grange (All Falmouth Town players they have signed from Truro 2nds) were not step 4 quality when signed but are now after further development from Falmouth.

Truro are just providing players for other Cornish sides to sign on and develop when they have outgrown the Peninsula League. 

Would add your keeper, Morgan Coxhead, to that list and also George Newton of Blazey.

Am I right in saying that even if Truro Res win the Peninsula League next season, they cannot get promoted?  I think the Western League only accept Football League reserve teams. 

6 hours ago, Ian Pethick said:

Am I right in saying that even if Truro Res win the Peninsula League next season, they cannot get promoted?  I think the Western League only accept Football League reserve teams. 

That rule may only apply to the Western Premier, as in Division One there is Cribbs Reserves. They currently sit 3rd, so are in play-off place. Be interesting to see if they are allowed to take part. 

NLS Regulation 7.2:

"Reserve teams, including a team from a club or Club which is not considered by the Committee to be sufficiently separate from another club or Club, will not be permitted to compete above Step 6 in the NLS. There must be a minimum of two Steps between a first and reserve team. This does not apply at Steps 6 & 7. No two teams from the same Club can play at the same Step. Reserve teams currently at Step 5 can remain unless relegated, once relegated they will not be permitted to be promoted back to Step 5." 

There are still half a dozen or so reserve teams playing at Step 5 as permitted by the final sentence but in answer to the original question there can / will be no reserve promotions from Step 6 to Step 5 this season or whilst this Regulation remains in force. 

2 hours ago, Gary Hocking said:

NLS Regulation 7.2:

"Reserve teams, including a team from a club or Club which is not considered by the Committee to be sufficiently separate from another club or Club, will not be permitted to compete above Step 6 in the NLS. There must be a minimum of two Steps between a first and reserve team. This does not apply at Steps 6 & 7. No two teams from the same Club can play at the same Step. Reserve teams currently at Step 5 can remain unless relegated, once relegated they will not be permitted to be promoted back to Step 5." 

There are still half a dozen or so reserve teams playing at Step 5 as permitted by the final sentence but in answer to the original question there can / will be no reserve promotions from Step 6 to Step 5 this season or whilst this Regulation remains in force. 

I've just had a quick look through the Step 5 League tables and there are no longer any reserve teams left at that level - they've all either been relegated or folded since the Regulation was brought in.

1 hour ago, Bobby Thomas said:

Truro 0, Weymouth 0.

Taunton lost 1 nil at home to Weston-super-Mare,  meaning they are relegated!

Anyone worth tempting down to Cornwall for next season?

• Dave Deacon changed the title to RESULTS - Thursday April 18, 2024