Jump to content
Cornwall Football Forum

RESULTS - Tuesday & Wednesday, 12 & 13 March 2024

Recommended Posts

Tuesday March 12, 2024


Dartmouth     1-1     Elburton Villa

CSC, semi-final at St Blazey

Falmouth Town    P-P     Newquay


Bridport     P-P    Okehampton Argyle


Newton Abbot Spurs     0-3     Ilfracombe Town


Wednesday March 13, 2024


Camelford     1-3     AFC St Austell (aet, 1-1 at 90 mins)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Dave Deacon changed the title to RESULTS - Tuesday & Wednesday, 12 & 13 March 2024

"A fantastic cup tie unfolded at Trefew last night, with St Austell edging out Camelford, but the game didn’t go as many would have expected.


With Camelford fielding a weakened side and six regulars missing, they conceded within five minutes of the kick-off. A low cross from the left found a St Austell striker whose deflected shot found the net. It seemed like it could have been a long night for Camelford as St Austell started to take control of the game and pushed forward. However, Camelford held strong and, on the 15-minute mark and with their first real attack, Camelford striker Sam Brown found the ball at his feet from twelve yards and smashed his strike into the back of the net.


From that point on, the game was on, with St Austell keeping possession and trying to find a way past Camelford's high line. Camelford's shape was excellent, frustrating St Austell, who could only resort to clipped balls over the top, leading to very little real chances. 

 While Camelford would try to break on every chance of a counter-attack, but often fell short with their final ball. 

St Austell almost found a breakthrough five minutes from halftime with a shot from twelve yards smartly saved by Colwill. The sides went in even at halftime, a deserved scoreline.


St Austell started the second half strongly and bombarded the Camelford goal with attack after attack. It was a combination of several good saves from Colwill and tremendous defending from Camelford's back line, with Metheral and Wade playing out of their skins and keeping St Austell out. After several corners and a huge goal-mouth scramble, the pressure eased for Camelford, who started creating chances themselves. Yet another good link-up between Gusterson and Cardiff put Cardiff through on goal, whose shot was well saved by the onrushing St Austell keeper.


Camelford found themselves in a good positions with both full-backs gaining ground and putting testing balls across the St Austell box. Unfortunately for Camelford, Cardiff went off injured after a nasty collision with the keeper, and Brown was subbed after running himself into the ground. This took the sting out of the Camels' attack, allowing St Austell to regain some control of the game. With ten minutes to go and both teams giving their all, St Austell started using their subs and brought on some very experienced and fresh legs in Eddy, Slates, and Watts, something Camelford couldn’t match. Ironically, this season it’s been Camelford's bench that has been the difference in many of their good results.


Ninety minutes played out and both teams held strong. Into extra time, we go. The fresh legs started to pay off, and St Austell had two good chances within five minutes of extra time. First, a 20-yard strike which Colwill did well to tip onto the post, and then a thumped free-kick from Watts, which the Camels keeper somehow getting something behind it after a nasty bobble a few yards in front of him. The second goal finally came for St Austell, falling to Eddy, who’s strike from twelve yards after a cross from the left evaded the Camelford defence. Eddy took his chance well and powered the ball into the net. Camelford were deflated but still pushed forward and had chances to get back into the game, being lead superbly by Gusterson on the front line  


The game was over as a contest as Camelford continued to push but left themselves open at the back. A quick throw-in, and Guest who was on as a sub was through on goal, slipping the ball into the net. 

St Austell take the win 3-1.


Heartbreak for Camelford, whose players, in particular their midfield of Study, Bear, and Watts, gave everything for their shirt last night and did Reg and the club proud. They deserved much more, but that is the nature of cup football.


The referee went unnoticed for the full 120 minutes, which I think is the biggest compliment you can give. Extremely well-refereed and well-assisted by the gentlemen with the flags."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Create New...