WESTERN LEAGUE

PREMIER DIVISION

Tuesday February 20, 2024

Nailsea & Tickenham    3-0    Welton Rovers

Torpoint Athletic    1-3    Falmouth Town

Bridgwater United    P-P    Barnstaple Town

Wednesday February 21, 2024

Millbrook    P-P   St Blazey

• Dave Deacon changed the title to RESULTS - Tuesday & Wednesday 20 & 21 February 2024

Surprised to not see any reports from the F-Troop from Tuesday night. I missed the majority of the first half as I was on the gate, but I heard Paul Heveran scored a screamer with the outside of his boot on the edge of the box to take an early lead for Torpoint, which didn't last long as Falmouth equalised from a corner. This lead to mass frustration, as a lot of players stopped once the kick had been taken as the referee blew his whistle. But apparently his signal was to take the kick and he was slower than the kicker himself and the ref didn't order a retake. 

However, despite that contentious goal, the 2nd half was one way traffic as Falmouth striker's Wilson and Massey could've had a trick each. Both missed guilt edged chances with most chances dragged wide or being stopped by the hearts and bodies of Rickard, Hillson and Holder in the home rear guard. All three of them were kept busy and up until the 84th were the beneficiaries of some luck and determination. Eventually Falmouth took the lead, a superb cross from the left by a Falmouth substitute was headed in by Wilson. 5mins after that they won a penalty which I thought was harsh, which Massey smashed into the top left with Rickard going the other way. Both deserved their goals and were highly effective in their own way. Massey in particular is stupidly quick and barely stops in his running, a huge asset for Falmouth and probably the best forward I've seen in the WL since Bridgwater's Jack Thorne last season. Can see why he's scored so many this season for Penzance, Barum and Falmouth. 

Torpoint did have a couple of chances on the break in the 2nd half but the best one was squashed by a wet pitch, as Richards raced into the box I think a puddle helped the defender retreat in time before he pulled the trigger.