36' Owen Brain
86' Bevan Cross

3 - 4 3164-50.png

Mousehole

45' Callam McOnie
66' Maxwell Hill
75' Tallan Mitchell
90+6' Jack Bray-Evans

Mousehole Southern League Div One South League Table 2023/2024 Mousehole 5 3 2 - 15 7 8 - 11

Bemerton Heath Harlequins Southern League Div One South League Table 2023/2024 Bemerton Heath Harlequins 4 3 1 - 10 4 6 - 10
Wimborne Town Southern League Div One South League Table 2023/2024 Wimborne Town 4 3 1 - 10 4 6 - 10
Melksham Town Southern League Div One South League Table 2023/2024 Melksham Town 4 3 1 - 7 1 6 - 10
Willand Rovers Southern League Div One South League Table 2023/2024 Willand Rovers 4 3 - 1 8 1 7 - 9

Cribbs Southern League Div One South League Table 2023/2024 Cribbs 4 2 1 1 7 5 2 - 7
Frome Town Southern League Div One South League Table 2023/2024 Frome Town 4 2 1 1 4 3 1 - 7
Westbury United  Southern League Div One South League Table 2023/2024 Westbury United 5 2 1 2 9 11 -2 - 7

What a game of football! And for the first time this season I get to write “a game of two halves”.

The game opened with a huge blow to the Seagulls - already missing one of our two key central midfield players, Jack Calver, through injury we then lost Paulo Ranalli Sousa during the warm-up. And we have to hold our hands up - we were battered for the first half hour by a side that were faster than us and more effective in both boxes.

They fully-deserved their 2-0 lead after 35 minutes but we did start to show some more positive signs as legs started to tire at the end of the half and in the 3rd (and final) minute of added time Callam McOnie reduced the deficit to 1 with either a wonder strike from the left hand edge of the box or a cross that somehow went straight in - I’ll need to see a replay to tell.

After being the better side when they were taking the game to us in the 1st half Bristol then surprised me by starting the second half with a “what we have we hold” approach. I’m not anyone’s idea of a football tactician but this felt like a mistake, taking some pressure off our defence, allowing us to take more time with our build up and to switch the ball from side to side quickly tiring their midfield and defence.

The second real change to the game came on 57 minutes when Josh Bissett came on for Jack Symons. The unanimous view of the 35 or so travelling Seagulls fans was that yesterday was Josh’s best ever game in a Mousehole shirt. Almost immediately he dribbled past defender after defender from the left wing all the way to the by-line on the right hand side of the box and passed back to Hayden Turner who had the ball stolen off his toes on the line by the Bristol keeper in the save of the match. 

Two minutes later a Josh Bissett shot was put out for a corner. The corner was hit to the far post, headed back across goal and Max Hill headed down strongly for the equalising goal.

Tallan Mitchell gave us the lead for the first time in the game with 15 minutes left on the clock with a brilliant strike and that was the signal for Bristol to resume playing the way they played in the first half. After 10 minute of backs to the wall football for us they pulled it back to 3-3.

With 4 minutes remaining both teams pushed for a winner rather than settle for a point. The ref signalled 6 added minutes and it was in the last of those that Hayden Turner dribbled into the box and the ball broke to Jack Bray-Evans on the far post who somehow bundled it over the line.

Cue wild celebrations with Jack Bray-Evans getting a yellow for removing his shirt - no criticism of the ref as we all know that’s the rule, but surely one of the most ridiculous rules in football? 

The drama wasn’t completely done as Bristol had two quick corners after the restart. The ref finally blew on 90+8 and the wild celebrations continued until the coach finally got back to Penzance at 03:30 this morning. 

19 minutes ago, GaryHocking said:

What a game of football! And for the first time this season I get to write “a game of two halves”.

The game opened with a huge blow to the Seagulls - already missing one of our two key central midfield players, Jack Calver, through injury we then lost Paulo Ranalli Sousa during the warm-up. And we have to hold our hands up - we were battered for the first half hour by a side that were faster than us and more effective in both boxes.

They fully-deserved their 2-0 lead after 35 minutes but we did start to show some more positive signs as legs started to tire at the end of the half and in the 3rd (and final) minute of added time Callam McOnie reduced the deficit to 1 with either a wonder strike from the left hand edge of the box or a cross that somehow went straight in - I’ll need to see a replay to tell.

After being the better side when they were taking the game to us in the 1st half Bristol then surprised me by starting the second half with a “what we have we hold” approach. I’m not anyone’s idea of a football tactician but this felt like a mistake, taking some pressure off our defence, allowing us to take more time with our build up and to switch the ball from side to side quickly tiring their midfield and defence.

The second real change to the game came on 57 minutes when Josh Bissett came on for Jack Symons. The unanimous view of the 35 or so travelling Seagulls fans was that yesterday was Josh’s best ever game in a Mousehole shirt. Almost immediately he dribbled past defender after defender from the left wing all the way to the by-line on the right hand side of the box and passed back to Hayden Turner who had the ball stolen off his toes on the line by the Bristol keeper in the save of the match. 

Two minutes later a Josh Bissett shot was put out for a corner. The corner was hit to the far post, headed back across goal and Max Hill headed down strongly for the equalising goal.

Tallan Mitchell gave us the lead for the first time in the game with 15 minutes left on the clock with a brilliant strike and that was the signal for Bristol to resume playing the way they played in the first half. After 10 minute of backs to the wall football for us they pulled it back to 3-3.

With 4 minutes remaining both teams pushed for a winner rather than settle for a point. The ref signalled 6 added minutes and it was in the last of those that Hayden Turner dribbled into the box and the ball broke to Jack Bray-Evans on the far post who somehow bundled it over the line.

Cue wild celebrations with Jack Bray-Evans getting a yellow for removing his shirt - no criticism of the ref as we all know that’s the rule, but surely one of the most ridiculous rules in football? 

The drama wasn’t completely done as Bristol had two quick corners after the restart. The ref finally blew on 90+8 and the wild celebrations continued until the coach finally got back to Penzance at 03:30 this morning. 

I sort of agree about the ridiculous rule for taking your shirt off but I also think it's ridiculous to want to take your shirt off..........but then.....I'm fat!!