Cornwall Football Forum

Torpoint Athletic Reserves 23/24

Under new management this season and plenty of player movement in the summer. A few have moved on from the side that finished 8th in 22/23 and we've managed to bring in all of our targets and retain the key players we wanted to stay. A positive pre-season unbeaten in 6 including Ws against Truro City Reserves and Wendron Reserves and an impressive performance in an away draw vs Plymstock.

However, all that meant nothing on Wednesday night as our high confidence was dismantled in the Tamar derby in our first league game of the season, losing 6-1 at home to Saltash Utd Res.

It started out with both sides breaking into key areas out wide but nothing meaningful to start with. At 0-0 we created our first real opportunity as Taylor broke into the Saltash third 2v2 with Rothwell to his left, but indecisiveness allowed the Saltash defenders to smother the ball when Rothwell was better positioned would've had plenty of time to set himself from 18yards for a scoring opportunity. This turnover was the catalyst for Saltash's opener as the 2nd ball was picked up and a direct attack over our back four resulted in the visitor's lead. At 1-0 Saltash had wind in their sales and dominated for the majority of the 1st half. At 0-1 the next attack was ours as Rotherz was played inside the box to the left and his driven effort on goal was well parried to safety by Eccles in goal and the loose ball put to safety. A set piece was the next killer blow as a well caught cross by Jackson resulted in a shameful foul by a Saltash attacker as he threw Boyle into Jackson mid air and the latter landed with a thud, and was eventually subbed off at HT with a dislocated shoulder. Saltash's 2nd was a big error at the back as a bouncing ball was headed home by Murray to the outrushing but crippled Jackson only for the Saltash attacker to steal the ball for 2-0. The HT break finished 0-3 as we simply couldn't deal with the athleticism of Ewing and Harris up front with Doddridge and O'Melia in close support. Saltash were rather direct but very effective. 

The 2nd half wasn't much better after some subs but we pulled one back for 1-3 through the introduced Easterbrook to finish well from a Westall (I think?) cross on the right. Game on? Nope! The ball was placed on the centre spot for a restart and Ewing was smart and accurate to score from all of halfway lobbing defender Bouch filling in in goal for an immediate squashing of any comeback. An excellent goal by him and deserving of his hat trick for last season's Ivybridge top scorer. That worldy crushed any spirit left and a shocking error on halfway receiving a throw in as last man was a slip and stolen possession to race through from halfway to score their 5th past Bouch. I can't even recall the 6th, we'd all had enough.

Fine margins where we could've/should've scored at 0-0 and 0-1 but from then Saltash cruised really. We won't tolerate performances like this but there are some positives and things to work on. Rather it happened now rather than later but a blow to lose to a rival like that on your own turf. No choice to move on and as availability increases and we get closer to full strength I think we'll be able to put this one to bed as a one off. A tough opening month as we had Saltash in a derby, with league runners up and Cup winners St Dom, League winners Saltash Borough and another derby at Millbrook to come. Talk about into the fire. But confident in the squad we've assembled and the new era being brighter than others with plenty of movement in squads within the league. Could be a real shake up this year!

St Dominick 2 - 1 Torpoint Athletic

Goalscorer: Chris Westall

A 2nd loss in our opening 2 league fixtures but the mood since is far better than it was after Wednesday's hammering at home to Saltash.

We bossed the majority of the first half and were unfortunate to only be 1-0 up at the break. The home side couldn't really get going and we looked energetic and dealt with any threats leaving Browner with little to do. Boyler and Whitey in particular defended well up against the physical Styring. Chris Westall opened his account for the season with a superb diving header from a marauding run forward from full back and excellent cross by Jack Bouch. The goal around half an hour had been coming and was well deserved. Josh Payn was the biggest thorn in the home side and his runs from deep weren't ever picked up except by the home linesman. Payny hit the post when well placed in the area and also had two goals disallowed for offside. My biggest doubt over the disallowed was the 2nd he'd ran through, had time to dribble round Blatchford in goal before the late flag went up. Put that one under dubious.

2nd half we knew we had to repeat the performance but we didn't and St Dom came out with a quick reaction. A throw in on the right hand side found it's way to Styring who dribbled infield to release Ryall on the left hand side of the area who took the ball in his stride with a good first touch and an excellent left footed finish into the bottom corner. This didn't wake us up and in the middle of the half it was Ryall again. Receiving a squad ball on the edge of the D he shifted to the left, dropped his shoulder to come back onto his stronger right and struck a fierce effort into the opposite corner to his previous. Annoying cos we'd nullifed St Dom all first half and he'd been invisible, but the lad is quality and both his goals showed that. We huffed and puffed from then on and looked tired. Easterbrook got past Discombe a number of times throughout the game but each time the cross was whiskers away from meaningful, one in particular late in the game was just over the head of Rothwell who if a few inches taller would've had a simple unmarked header in the centre of the goal. Close call! 

Finished with another loss but with so many away on Saturday at Boardmasters & Boomtown, weddings and stags we'll be back to some more pleasant headaches next weekend where we visit league champions Saltash Borough at Salt Mill. Lots of things to work on still but Saturday's game has reinstalled the belief we'll be strong soon enough. 

Saltash Borough 1-0 Torpoint Ath

Torpoint scorers: N/A

Shots on goal: 1MILLION

Another bad result on paper. A stronger squad available from previous games with a tough trip to the league champions. Started quite brightly and with a spine that included Boyle, Robertson, Pacey and Westall I’d expect that. The biggest chance of the half was a decent clipped diag into Taylor inside the box who smashed the bouncing ball too close to the keeper whose reflexes were quick enough to tip the strong effort out for a corner. On 25mins we received a red card for Rothwell for a tackle you see 2-3 times a game and a run of the mill yellow card. Never a red but hey ho. With 10 men for 65+ we still maintained our foothold in the game and continued to keep the ball as defence and midfield hadn’t changed. Westall and Taylor in a more narrow 2 worked their socks off, but any time we broke into the Borough third we were too inpatient and shooting from low % areas rather than work it closer. This was half down to having less width with the man disadvantage and half bad decisions dreaming of that Hollywood goal. Something to discuss and work on. 
2nd half was much of the same but we began to tire. Westall, Taylor and Payn in particular continued to probe, but again shots from 20yds+ in crowded areas aren’t going to get you points. The best chance of the 2nd half did fall inside the box with a low ball in from the left finding the introduced Small 4yds out but with the ball behind him, was unable to gather and tuck it away before it was cleared to safety. Late in the game Borough did begin to break on us more and more and what I believe to be their only shot on target was a good one, tucked into the bottom corner clipping the post on the way in around the 85th minute. Heartbreaking as I don’t think we deserved another loss for the lads’ efforts. 
10 days now before our next game with the other derby for us away at Millbrook. Always the first one you look for when the fixtures come out. Looking forward to it. 

3 hours ago, Foul Throw 3 said:

Saltash Borough 1-0 Torpoint Ath

Torpoint scorers: N/A

Shots on goal: 1MILLION

Another bad result on paper. A stronger squad available from previous games with a tough trip to the league champions. Started quite brightly and with a spine that included Boyle, Robertson, Pacey and Westall I’d expect that. The biggest chance of the half was a decent clipped diag into Taylor inside the box who smashed the bouncing ball too close to the keeper whose reflexes were quick enough to tip the strong effort out for a corner. On 25mins we received a red card for Rothwell for a tackle you see 2-3 times a game and a run of the mill yellow card. Never a red but hey ho. With 10 men for 65+ we still maintained our foothold in the game and continued to keep the ball as defence and midfield hadn’t changed. Westall and Taylor in a more narrow 2 worked their socks off, but any time we broke into the Borough third we were too inpatient and shooting from low % areas rather than work it closer. This was half down to having less width with the man disadvantage and half bad decisions dreaming of that Hollywood goal. Something to discuss and work on. 
2nd half was much of the same but we began to tire. Westall, Taylor and Payn in particular continued to probe, but again shots from 20yds+ in crowded areas aren’t going to get you points. The best chance of the 2nd half did fall inside the box with a low ball in from the left finding the introduced Small 4yds out but with the ball behind him, was unable to gather and tuck it away before it was cleared to safety. Late in the game Borough did begin to break on us more and more and what I believe to be their only shot on target was a good one, tucked into the bottom corner clipping the post on the way in around the 85th minute. Heartbreaking as I don’t think we deserved another loss for the lads’ efforts. 
10 days now before our next game with the other derby for us away at Millbrook. Always the first one you look for when the fixtures come out. Looking forward to it. 

Pretty accurate report in the main - I said it yesterday that you didn't deserve to lose as you were much better than us all over the pitch (although we did have more than one shot on target).

Normally I wouldn't comment but I need to as I feel quite strongly about these types of tackles.

It was a horrendous tackle off the ground and more than deserved a red card - I've seen it back on video from a supporter and it wasn't pretty at all. If that's your definition of a 'run of the mill tackle you'd better be prepared to play a lot of games with just 10 men.

I get that we all have different opinions on decisions but sometimes you've got to hold your hands up and take responsibility. My lad has the marks from that one but If his leg had been planted he'd be in hospital now - everyone needs to remember that this is grassroots, they have work on Monday and us as managers need to also make sure we don't just accept our players making challenges like that - my lot will tell you that I don't. 

Apart from that, I thought you were an excellent footballing side and as I've also said this season I expect you to be up there come the end despite your start to the season so good luck and we'll see you for the return. 

2 hours ago, Kvmccan said:

Pretty accurate report in the main - I said it yesterday that you didn't deserve to lose as you were much better than us all over the pitch (although we did have more than one shot on target).

Normally I wouldn't comment but I need to as I feel quite strongly about these types of tackles.

It was a horrendous tackle off the ground and more than deserved a red card - I've seen it back on video from a supporter and it wasn't pretty at all. If that's your definition of a 'run of the mill tackle you'd better be prepared to play a lot of games with just 10 men.

I get that we all have different opinions on decisions but sometimes you've got to hold your hands up and take responsibility. My lad has the marks from that one but If his leg had been planted he'd be in hospital now - everyone needs to remember that this is grassroots, they have work on Monday and us as managers need to also make sure we don't just accept our players making challenges like that - my lot will tell you that I don't. 

Apart from that, I thought you were an excellent footballing side and as I've also said this season I expect you to be up there come the end despite your start to the season so good luck and we'll see you for the return. 

Thanks for the reply Kev. My angle/viewpoint of the tackle would’ve been different to yours, and importantly the refs. If you’ve been able to watch it back and you’re right I’d be happy to backtrack and change my opinion on it. Hopefully your lad is alright. The lad that was sent does muck in and I know a lot of managers say this, but he isn’t the type and wouldn’t have been malice in it. 

41 minutes ago, Foul Throw 3 said:

Thanks for the reply Kev. My angle/viewpoint of the tackle would’ve been different to yours, and importantly the refs. If you’ve been able to watch it back and you’re right I’d be happy to backtrack and change my opinion on it. Hopefully your lad is alright. The lad that was sent does muck in and I know a lot of managers say this, but he isn’t the type and wouldn’t have been malice in it. 

Fair enough - good luck for the rest of the season 

26 minutes ago, Foul Throw 3 said:

Nah it doesn’t. But then again, it’s August and we’ve played 3 games, Saltash 1st Team, the cup champs and league champs. Enjoy your Sunday Diego

Saltash 1st team? Ridiculous comment, let’s hope none of the Torpoint 1s play for you and you win a game. Saying that, you’ll probably be gone before that happens. Good set of excuses though, keep up the good work. 😘

Millbrook 2 - 3 Torpoint Ath

Torpoint goalscorers: Easterbrook, Payn, Westall.

A dramatic derby where we were excellent, prime Barcelona and we only conceded due to cheating and bad luck. We've had none go our way so far this season 🤣

Back to reality... we were poor for the majority of the first half, particularly in possession. Time and time again we asked Westall to do too much in physical duels with Hambleton and Maguire at centre half and should be their bread and butter, of which they relished the opportunity to tussle, JH in particular. When we did get it into Westall's feet or body we didn't keep hold of it anyway. The few times we worked the ball wide we looked far more effective, particularly Smallsy out on the right, but it was too infrequent to carve out real chances and a frustration to watch. Easterbrook vs Adri on the left was an interesting match up too, the latter's speed in both directions will be a huge asset to him and Millbrook.

All our efforts were from distance and we didn't call Pacey into action at all in the Millbrook goal until late in the half where a low ball in hit him from close range with little knowledge of it. Millbrook deservedly lead at the halftime break with Larsen pivotal. An appeal of handball was waved away on the edge of the Millbrook box and we stopped. Larsen didn't, racing onto the clearance and showing Boyle a clean set of heels from halfway to the byline, racing around the onrushing Sidey, before cutting back to Hewings for a side foot tap in with defenders closing. Larsen central and Mahoney on the left looked a threat all half on the break and their first touch and speed will be a threat in this league. 

Second half wasn't much better for the opening 10mins and we didn't see the reaction we were after, which lead to 4 changes with Bark, ManuelT, Robertson and Coutts introduced and all made a positive difference. Not just those 4, but it certainly helped turn the tide and we improved, got on the front foot and were better on the ball. We eventually equalised around 70mins with Easterbrook tucking away a loose ball after good work down the wing. This felt like the moment we needed and we were on top then, and took the lead only minutes later. Payny dribbled/bundled his way through 2-3 challenges and found space to shoot from 25yds and let go of a rocket past Pacey in goal for a great strike to open his account for the season. His celebration left him a little breathless and when you have crisp packets for lungs that was him deserving of a rest. 5mins after the 2nd we got the 3rd and some breathing room. A counter lead to Pacey in no man's land on the edge of his box and a loose ball just past the centre circle saw an audacious lob from 45yds from skipper Westall sail over Pacey in treacle and into the net. Another mass celo pending in front of the home dugout, the referee rightly squashed it quickly. It wasn't over for the tie though. Can't recall when it happened but Millbrook were milliseconds away from another goal their way with a forward about to let rip from 12yards but an excellent block by Manuel was worthy of a goal in itself and something that often doesn't get credit. They did get a 2nd with 3-4mins remaining, again from Hewings from approx 25yds with a strong effort taking a deflection and flying over Sidey. FT 2-3.

A few yellow cards for both teams but good decisions and an amusing red card after the whistle. A feisty derby at times but not too close to the edge imo. A tricky game to referee which was well dealt with throughout I thought. 

12 hours ago, DiogoDaler said:

Looking forward to reading the biased report from tonight’s game.

Congratulations on your first 3 points… can’t see you getting many more Mrs Bays. 

How pathetic...

Ohh my Christ, what an awful opening line. 

A dramatic derby where we were excellent, prime Barcelona and we only conceded due to cheating and bad luck. We've had none go our way so far this season 🤣.

Cheating and bad luck? You are clutching at straws now aren’t you!! Sometimes you just have to accept things and move on, instead of making excuses. Comments like that are childish and very much pathetic, but then again wouldn’t expect anything less from you! 👶🏼🍼

2 minutes ago, Brianmooreshead said:

Well I thought the laughing emoji at the end signified that he wasn't being serious. 

You've obviously got it in for him for reasons I know nothing about, but from what I've read Foul Throw usually gives a fair and objective match report ( unlike a lot on here )

I won't get personal back... At least someone has recognised some tongue in cheek. I thought the "back to reality" made it obvious. I may have a username on here but never hide my identity, whereas the unknown Diogo has it in for me clearly.

Torpoint Athletic 6 - 1 Callington Town.

Attendance: 72.

Torpoint goalscorers: Rowe, Payn, Small, Cullerton x3.

A much better night at The Mill than our opening league game with a reverse score line vs Saltash Utd. A VERY young Callington side with I think 13 lads u18 there were big positives for the future of their club too and some good players on show in spells. Though we deserved the score line and it could have been more, they did probe themselves for goals, hitting the post in the first half at 1-0 and drew some quality saves out of Sidey in the Torpoint goal in the 2nd half.

We opened the scoring early when we moved the ball well into a high position on the right to Smallsy and drove inside 20yards out, to slide a well weighted pass left to Rowe who slotted a low finish under the keeper on 7mins. The opening goal settled us, arguably too much, and we looked comfortable for a while but didn't push on enough to open the floodgates. We moved the ball well and got into the Calli third, but the final ball was a whisker away from a forward's boot or too close to the defender to nip in and steal the ball. Fine margins of the quality and timing of the final pass. The length of time between the 1st and 2nd allowed Callington to grow in confidence too and from a set piece on the right were close to an equaliser which hit the base of the post and volleyed to safety. We continued to probe ourselves but weren't quite ruthless enough imo, and efforts from Small, Easterbrook and Westall all went close before Payny got the 2nd from 20yds minutes before halftime after being teed up by Westall. 2-0 HT.

The 3rd came soon after the restart which was positive. Westall again the creator rolled the ball to Small who got the ball out from under his feet and smashed it in from 20yds. After the 3rd we made 5 subs before our 4th goal on 70mins when Westall again the creator for a hat trick of assists was slipped in down the right hand side and his low cross was swept home by Cullerton for 4-0. The 5th was superb technique from Jimi Taylor, receiving the ball in the centre of the park and feinted past his man and his through ball already had Cullerton on the run in a one sided foot race to smash the ball low past the keeper. Within 2mins of the 5th it was 6, and Cullerton's super sub trick. Bouch (I think?) had too much time and space just inside our half to chip a pitching wedge into space for Cullerton again already on his bike who powered past the defender and hit the ball high into the roof of the net from 12yds. This wrapped it up for us with other closes calls for Smallsy being a boot size away from his 2nd following good work down the left, and Easterbrook being a menace driving a low effort from close range whiskers past the post for what would have been a deserved goal. Late in the game Calli hadn't given up and got a consolation with a diagonal ball catching out Bark square on and the wide man raced in behind to finish well around 89mins. Bit of a blow to lose the clean sheet so late in the game, but having hit the post in the first half and 2 stinging efforts well saved by Sidey we can admit they had knocked on our door enough to deserve their consolation. 6-1FT.

Some valuable minutes into everyone with earlyish subs and quality throughout the game we never really looked in much distress. A much bigger test to come on Saturday where we entertain promoted North Petherwin who have won 3 on the bounce since their opening day defeat to St Dom. Good luck to Calli and their young side for the rest of the season til the reversal. 

Torpoint Athletic 2 - 1 North Petherwin

Torpoint goalscorers: OG & Easterbrook

A tough battle on Saturday against a robust North Petherwin side. New opposition for our 2nd Team but not for me, a familiar foe from recent years. Having won the Duchy Prem title in 21/22 and then runners up in the ECPL in 22/23, North Petherwin are on an upwards trajectory on and off the pitch and will be used to winning games. This brings lots of positives in their favour in this league where some won't know anything about them and a factor in North Peth coming into Saturday having won 3 from their last 3.

A baking hot game didn't aid the pace of the game and the first half was very cagey. We had a lot of possession in our third and central areas, with what looked like a deliberate act from North Peth who sat off and preserved energy, and countless times sloppy passing on our part allowed them to steal possession and counter effectively. North Peth were compact and we didn't have enough quality in build up to get meaningful attacks, barely troubling the visiting custodian. It was North Peth's compactness just before the half hour mark which created the opening goal, and a good ball in behind our high line was a foot race between Manuel and the Peth fwd, whose dinked finish over Sidey was superb composure to take the lead. Luckily for us, Sidey was in fine form for the rest of the half making some very good stops to keep our visitors at bay. The deficit didn't squash us though and we continued to probe. A Hunt ball in behind the right back found Westall down the channel who lofted the bouncing ball over the keeper but to no avail. Payn and Easterbrook continued to get on the ball but were snuffed out at every opportunity. 5mins before the break we found an equaliser, with Aidy Bark speeding down the right to deliver a low cross into the 6yd box, with Cullerton waiting for a simple tap in the Peth defender stuck the ball in his own net for 1-1. Level at HT the visitors had been the better side in terms of chances on goal, if not for Sidey's top keeping.

The interval allowed us to address a few things and we started the 2nd half much better. Less tippy tappy and a bit more effective. Around 50mins a nice ball in behind from the right hand side found it's way into the box, Easterbrook's deft first touch sitting the keeper down and placing into the net. This was chalked off by the official as the visiting linesman thought Cullerton had flicked the ball on. This was a bit controversial and despite Cullerton's protests of not touching the ball and Easterbrook's sulk ended up putting him in the bin for 10 minutes. Having been cut in half a few times in the first half, a golf ball swelling on his elbow and now a disallowed goal he was motivated for his reintroduction. 5mins after that around 68mins, a neat ball through the centre found Westall in too much time and space away from the centre halves and his ball round the corner for Easterbrook was too good to pass up, and he raced into the box and slid the ball through the keeper's legs for 2-1. At this point Bark's ankle injury had taken it's toll and we introduced fresh legs with 2 more to follow and this helped our energy levels. I don't recall many more chances for either side late in the game but having a slightly deeper back line in the 2nd half compared to the 1st certainly helped us reduce North Petherwin's threat. If I've forgotten anything of note then the post game Madris will be to blame. 2-1 FT.

Having lost our opening 3 fixtures in August, we're now 3 wins from 3 with Saturday being a bigger scalp than some will realise. A big win for us and a good feel good factor. With Smallsy playing for the 1sts on Saturday, and Boyle, Copp, Rotherz and Taylor to return next week as well we're in a much better position. Looking forward to Altarnun away. Never thought I'd say that, awful drive! 

Altarnun 1 - 5 Torpoint Athletic

Torpoint goalscorers: Bouch, OG, Small, Coutts, Ferguson.

A 4th consecutive win for us on Saturday and nice to get Altarnun away ticked off before the weather worsens in the coming months.

We weren't sure what to expect from the home side after their poor start in the league and seeking new players in the summer. However, we didn't want to take them for granted as we ourselves lost our opening 3 games so it's too small a sample size to judge, though I think for the most part the league has begun to take shape of how it will look for a while. 

We scored very early on to go 1 up, when Bouch picked the ball up at centre half on the halfway line and marauded through at least 4 tackles, one after the other to get into the box and he slotted it away with the composure of someone you'd expect to score every time. I don't think the goal helped us though and from then on we lacked quality and were probably complacent that the 3 points seemed inevitable. I don't recall creating anything of note in the next 20mins until a poor back pass was made worse when the keeper let it go under his foot on the edge of the box and the ball trickled in for 2-0. Half an hour in Altarnun pulled one back with a good strike from the edge of the box. Even their celebrations seemed a little flat to be honest. Before half time we regained the 2 goal cushion when Jimi Taylor found Smallsy on the edge who struck a low shot into the bottom corner. A half of poor quality in possession and time and time again we gave the ball away and rushed our play. The times we did play it to the forwards to feet, they showed their individual qualities would create but we didn't do it anywhere near enough. 3-1 HT. 

A bit of a critical half time break and two subs introduced for the restart but it didn't really improve things. Just before the hour mark Couttsy surprised us all as I let out a "don't shoot from there ffs" and it went into the top corner from 30-35yds. Shut up Bays! Too much time and space in middle all game left us with too many options. Again the times we got the ball forward it looked better and Taylor was having an impressive game and the good forward runs from Small were often unnoticed or missed, which was frustrating to watch. Taylor broke past his full back a few times but the defender recovered well or the cut backs/crosses were well cleared. Late in the game Ferguson made it 5 after coming off the bench for his first competitive minutes since February.

A bit of a routine win against a side that regrettably I think will struggle. After 3 games we were bottom of the league on 0 points so I'd be stupid to take our form for granted so I am pleased to climb the table up to 5th and have 4 wins from 4 going into next week's cup game. With Easterbrook, Rothwell, Cullerton and Copp set to return we're in a good place and with Polperro in the cup on Saturday followed by St Dominick and St Mawgan it will round off a good month if we can get some pleasing results in those 3 tough games. 

Polperro 3 - 5 Torpoint Athletic 

Torpoint goalscorers: Easterbrook x2, Westall, Small, Boyle.

A good cup win sees us through to the next round and our 5th win on the bounce, with a tough visit from St Dominick to come on Wednesday to test the resolve once more.

The game on Saturday never really looked in doubt once we'd opened a 2 goal lead inside the opening 10 minutes. A nice crossfield ball from Westall into the area found Easterbrook and the home keeper coming together with Easterbrook coming out with the ball to roll into an empty net. Unfortunately this left the Polperro keeper in a spot of bother and looked in pain until he was subbed off later in the half. Hopefully a speedy recovery. 5 minutes after the 1st a pacey corner in from Taylor was met by a strong downward header by Westall for 2-0. By 20mins it was 3 and a neat through ball again Westall the creator found Smallsy in behind, in time and space to slot under the keeper for 3-0. By this point we were cruising and creating a variety of chances and moving the ball well, but Polperro's Whitebrook reduced the arrears from at least 25 yards smashing one in from the right hand side, one that "stayed hit" and would've required a worldy save if Sidey had any chance of stopping it. Great strike!

We moved the ball well for the rest of the half, particularly on the right hand side between Westall, Small and Taylor and the biggest threat was those 3 finding each other time and space to switch to Easterbrook who was harshly caught offside quite a few times. Late in the half we made it 4 from another set piece, this time a Smallsy inswinger was met by Boyle for his 1st of the season. 4-1 HT.

The game was put to bed further soon after the restart with the new Polperro incumbent misjudging a through ball and Easterbrook showing good technique to keep the bouncing ball low into the net from 20yds. Former Liskeard man Gwillam reduced the score line again around the hour with another fierce effort from 20+yds. The first goal I can understand, you almost think "let him shoot from that far out" but this one despite it being another good strike I'd have liked us to close it down with a bit more desire with it being more central, but no arguments about the quality. By this point we had introduced all 5 subs and though they imposed themselves and continued to get on the ball we created less chances going up the slope. Smallsy found himself 1v1 again and fired over the bar and a great cross from the right hand side was spooned over the bar by the head of Rothwell where we should have scored from both or at least hit the target. From overall play we did deserve to score more than the 5 and being brutal 5-3 flattered Polperro a little. Their 3rd was down to desire from long standing skipper Lane as he was the strongest attacking a corner to head in to the net. Unfortunately for the home side they miss the likes of Patterson and Thomas who have moved to Dobwalls 1st Team.

Not sure when the draw for the next round is but there's still some games to be played. Hopefully a home draw or away somewhere I/we haven't visited before and an excuse for a coach. Onto Wednesday.

• 2 weeks later...

Two recent results which I missed due to being away on holiday.

Torpoint Athletic 2 - 3 St Dominick

Torpoint goal scorers : Olly Small and Jimi Taylor

A game of two halves where we could/should have more to show for it. Payn hitting the woodwork and multiple bookings for us ended up in a win for the away side who battled back in the 2nd half. Injuries to Westall in the first half and Boyle in the second were big blows for us, with the latter resulting in St Dom equalising when we had 10 men as the official didn't pause the game to allow for a sub. A bit frustrating.

St Mawgan 2 - 2 Torpoint Athletic

Torpoint goal scorers: Olly Small and Ryan Easterbrook

A very one sided first half where we were 2-0 up and supposedly could've been out of sight if not due to poor quality in front of goal. If you create that much the 3 points should be sewn up. Second half was similar but an injury to Bark around 80mins at 2-0 up sounds like it was costly and St Mawgan fought back. Far too many players unavailable at the moment, but thankfully Saturday's availability is looking better for Sticker Reserves at home. 

Torpoint Athletic 3 - 1 Sticker

Torpoint goal scorers: Jay Boyle, Lewis Pacey & Jimi Taylor

A warm summer's day in October where I was pleased to be back with the team. Majority of the first half was ours but we failed to break the deadlock as the forwards couldn't hit a barn door! Sticker must've known they were lucky to still be in the game for so long asking for a water break to stem the flow. Small fired a big chance over the bar when clean through, Cullerton then did the same on his left foot, also ending up on the youth pitch out the back when a low finish from either would've resulted in something. Rothwell was the biggest culprit though and had 3 big opportunities to break his duck for the season but failed to do so. The Sticker stand in keeper looked solid but I can't recall us actually hitting the target when we had golden opportunities to score. A frustrating 0-0 at HT.

A rather critical team talk if I'm honest but it was justified. We reacted well with Smallsy scoring early on after being played through one on one and a brilliant finish from him which was chalked off by the visiting linesman miles behind play much to my annoyance. We finally opened the scoring around 57mins when a superb free kick on the right hand side from Jimi Taylor found Jay Boyle on the stretch for his 2nd of the season. 5mins later and the returning to the club Pacey scored a sublime finish for 2-0. Rothwell was played in well in the inside left channel, showed good composure to delay his pass as Pacey was overlapping with a good run and Rothwell slid him in for a one on one, with Pacey then delicately lobbing the ball over the keeper from the edge of the box. On 70mins it was 3-0 and game over as Taylor deservedly completed our scoring. Smallsy on the right hand side put in a nice cross for Taylor to tee up and smash into the net. A just reward for a superb display from the youngster. Late in the game Robertson showed a typical moment of madness and man handled a Sticker forward to the ground when the threat didn't look too great, but easy point to the spot from referee Harris. A fine display from him as always. And the penalty was very well hit, with Sidey diving the wrong way, he wouldn't have had much chance anyway as it hit the corner. 3-1 FT.

A pleasing win, particularly with the performance of Taylor and the return of Pacey. With Westall and Bark both out injured, Easterbrook, Bouch and Coutts also unavailable it was proof in the depth of the squad now. Roll on Wednesday where we begin our winter training block. 

• 2 weeks later...

A two week gap between reports as I missed last week's 1-0 loss away at Gunnislake. A disappointing result by the sounds of it.

We followed that up with another loss this weekend away at St Just, just the 2.5hrs on the coach. My first visit down there and I was pleasantly surprised. A good pitch and facilities to match.

St Just 3 - 2 Torpoint Athletic

Torpoint goalscorers: Cullerton & Rothwell

We started very brightly and could've scored in the first 5mins. On 10mins some very neat football carved St Just open and Rothwell slid Cullerton through to sidefoot past the St Just stand in keeper for an early 1-0 lead. We continued in this vein but couldn't extend our lead with missed chances throughout. Against the run of play St Just countered when Taylor was robbed of possession on halfway and the impressive Ellis got a nice assist playing his team mate through to equalise around 17mins. After this St Just settled a lot more and for the rest of the half both sides were knocking on the door but with no reward. St Just were physical throughout with the referee leaving his cards at home the game may as well have been played decades ago. This unsettled us and put us off our rhythm at times. A few glaring opportunities for both sides went missing with Ellis getting his eye in for St Just with one flying over the bar and Sidey making a good save, with Easterbrook, Cullerton and Rothwell all going close but not close enough for us. St Just's high line was suicidal really and we failed to punish it with poor timing, both with our runs into offside positions or not getting our head up in time to spot them. Both at fault I think. 1-1 HT.

We started after the break very well and should have opened up in a comfortable lead multiple times within the first 5mins, with Rothwell, Cullerton and Taylor all missing huge opportunities when well placed in front of goal. St Just got away lightly but were never beaten and took the lead around 51mins and then extended it further just after the hour. We made a few changes and I didn't feel we were out of it completely. Rothwell finally got on the scoresheet for the day and the season, a neat pass down the side of the centre half gave Rotherz a foot race to sit the keeper down and lift the ball over him, only for a defender to head off the line, but fortunately back to Rotherz to tuck away the 2nd time for a deserved goal. 3-2 and game on. St Just dealt with us a little better by this point and were slightly deeper than before. The best chance to equalise after this was from a corner kick that eventually pinballed loose to Ferguson to smash whiskers past the corner. FT.

Another loss which could've gone either way in fairness, and another where we rue missed chances. A two week break now where hopefully we get Small, Westall, Pacey, Coutts and Bouch back for St Austell away on the 4th before another huge cup game at Illogan. 

Thanks to St Just and their volunteers for hosting us after the game. Was a long trip back on the coach but we were well oiled by that point. Felt it yesterday! 

• 2 weeks later...

St Austell 6 - 2 Torpoint Athletic

Torpoint goal scorers: Taylor and ManuelJ

Another disappointing and bitter result for us. We started very brightly and scored with our first attack in the opening minute. The ball was sprayed out left to Easterbrook who squared the ball to Jimi Taylor 20 yards out and he hit a powerful drive low to the keepers right for an early lead. Minutes after that it should've been 2-0 as a low ball in from the right found Easterbrook unmarked who leant back too much and his side footed effort smashed the crossbar and away to safety. St Austell equalised around 10mins in after good wing play down the left resulted in a dangerous cross being turned into our own net by the stretching Manuel. For the whole first half both St Austell wingers looked quick on the break, particularly out on the right. The left was quick too but was thwarted for the most part because Bark is no slouch either. We should've taken the lead again with Rothwell's one on one hit too close to the keeper and Easterbrook had two other big opportunities when through on goal, with Pacey and Taylor in particular both passing well. But by half time we were 3-1 down with Liam Eddy causing us problems both in his running in behind and link up to feet, with him scoring the 3rd. 

A frustrated interval but the only difference really was the difference in finishing so not too deflated. From the restart we pulled one back quite quickly with a decent set piece delivery from Taylor being met by a good glancing flick off the head of ManuelJ for 3-2. But it was short lived as around the hour Eddy was played through one on one showing great composure to round our keeper on the edge of the box and roll the ball in despite being closed down quickly by the retreating defender for 4-2. Within 15mins of that it became 6, the 6th from the spot for a Liam Eddy hat trick. A very odd goal though, as a clash of heads inside the box was pounced on quickly by Eddy to fire in the loose ball. But it was disallowed for a "deliberate headbutt" and a penalty, which was eventually taken to restore the rightful goal. Less said about the minutes around that incident the better.

From then on we were relatively toothless going forward with too big a mountain to climb and being a man down due to a sin bin during the above incident. A poor score line where the difference was probably the clinical finishing from St Austell and our lack of it. We created a lot of chances in the first half, maybe 5 good shooting opportunities with time and space inside the box and we didn't score any of them, whereas Eddy had 4 chances in the game and bagged 3. The St Austell wide men were a consistent threat as well and we weren't too quick to recover. Unfortunately we lost Copp to injury to add to our growing list which isn't helping the quality with the squad but I know we can turn a corner, hopefully sooner rather than later as the league table looks a lot worse than I'd set our sights on. Next week we have another tough away trip in the cup down to Illogan so there's no easier ones on the horizon. But looking forward to visiting a new club nonetheless. 

Illogan RBL 1 - 1 Torpoint Athletic 1 (Torpoint win 4-3 on pens AET)

Torpoint goal scorer: Tom Rothwell

A game of few chances with both side's defences coming out on top and having solid games, all 4 centre halves robust throughout. The first half was Torpoint shooting down the slope and only three chances created for us. A great cross from the right wing from Bark found the free head of Taylor who tamely headed the ball down and wide of the target. Easterbrook found himself in on goal down to an unfortunate slip from the right back, with Easterbrook being closed down by the nearest covering defender his strong side footed effort was parried away by the goalkeeper to safety. The third opportunity came from a driving run infield from Small who skipped a tackle 20yds out and had time to get a driven effort on goal but the shot was too central and easily parried over the bar by Wyatt. We had a number of set pieces in the first half, and the game as a whole, and we didn't get a sniff at all, mainly thanks to the superb handling of the home custodian Wyatt. We limited Illogan's own chances on our goal with Sidey having little to do from memory. Both sides tried to play but final balls didn't have enough quality or the positioning and decision making from the back fours were to a high level. 0-0 at the break.

A positive break for us though as we praised the work ethic to limit Illogan's time on the ball and we closed down all over. Just needed to move the ball a little better into forward areas. I think we created less in the 2nd half to be honest, but we did manage to do enough to create the breakthrough. A ball out wide found Bark in time and space 16yards out to drive at goal, with Wyatt's save only parried 12 yards out to give Rothwell the opportunity to guide the loose ball home around 75mins to take the lead. With lots of changes made and a little time wasted on our part, the game began to peter out. But Illogan hadn't given up the ghost yet as the game still hung in the balance. A corner in the 93rd put every Illogan man in the box, including goalkeeper Wyatt, whose strong header at the front post was guided to the back post for the giant skipper Abbott-Smith to head home in front of the home support. 

A quick turnaround to begin extra-time and a 30mins of little drama to be honest and towards the end you just felt no one would do something special to end the game in any manner other than the lottery of penalties. Thankfully we had plenty of belief and 8 volunteers stuck their hands up so we came up with the order and away we went, with Illogan going first and to my surprise the keeper stepping up first, only to drive his effort wide of the post. We scored our first 3 to lead 3-2 after 6 pens, only for our 4th taker to have his kick saved to the keeper's right and it was level 3-3 after 8. But to our delight the next Illogan pen was well saved and held by Sidey to give our final taker a different pressure, and he slotted with ease wrong footing the keeper for a 4-3 lottery win. 

As underdogs against last season's finalists and lots of players missing we were delighted to go through and hopefully a good draw in the next round. At the least save me some fuel after having Polperro, Illogan and St Just away in our 3 cup games so far! Onto next Sat with players returning (I've said that for weeks but too many setbacks) where we head to Pennygillam.

• 2 weeks later...

Torpoint Athletic 2 - 1 Gunnislake

Torpoint goal scorers: OG & Taylor

A valuable 3 points on Saturday against a robust, experienced Gunnislake side, reversing the result from the away game where they beat us 1-0. Pleasing to get the W after a few games without points. And more positives with Westall returning from injury, both Halls and Ross getting their first starts for the side, and 3 young debuts for Monaghan, Mills and Warren from the bench. 

We started quite brightly but with very little football played on the deck from either side for the majority of the first half. Our first chance was golden as a ball out to the left was half cut out by the right back, slipping in the process, allowing Easterbrook to charge inside in a 2v1 with Westall and the last defender. Defender drawn, Easterbrook slipped the ball right to Westall 16 yards out but with ample time to pick his spot I think he rushed it and slipped, hitting a tame effort straight at the grateful keeper. Let off for Gunni. We failed to create anything clear cut for an age after that, with all our play too direct and though we were aiming for our wide men, it was in the air and easily defended by the back three of Gunni when full backs were the easier outlet to work the ball wide. Easy to see from the dugout but it was obvious in their 3-5-2 how it could have been exposed. The only two times we got the ball out to Cam Ross on the right wing he made something happen. Both times teeing up the supporting Jimi Taylor, the first time Ross got to the byline, sold the defender a kipper and laid the ball back for Taylor to deliver a delicious cross to the back post but Easterbrook and Westall were both flat footed and neither were near it. Minutes later Ross had the ball again winning a free kick near the box/byline, for Taylor to take whose low drive inside the 6yd box wasn't dealt with and the defender couldn't avoid sticking the ball into his own net for a 1-0 lead with Fuller a yard behind waiting to pounce. A deserved lead but Gunnislake were no slouches. A good delivery from a left wing corner was well met by a visiting head and only the hands of our defender on the back post kept the ball out, with no appeals and the ref none the wiser a huge let off for us. I recall another chance for Gunni which fortunately was at Sidey who held well. A theme for the visitors. 1-0 HT.

I was a bit critical at the break to be honest, but constructive. Everyone recognised their formation but by skipping out easy passes to full backs as outlets and working the ball out wide on the deck we were gifting possession away to a team happy to win their headers, much to the disgruntlement of the referee who penalised both teams for text book headers all afternoon, , including a booking apiece, very odd. The other frustration I had was not backing each other up with our efforts, Westall in particular lead the line well all afternoon was working his socks off after 8 weeks out, but wasn't supported in his efforts I thought, and any time he pressed it was an easy ball out, where a 2nd/3rd man in support would have put us on the front foot with a bit more proactiveness in thought and desire. 

Seemed to work in the 2nd half and we did improve, with more play to feet. But soon after the restart Gunnislake drew level with an OG similar to ours in the first. A low driven ball into the 6 yard was tucked away neatly on their behalf by Bark. Thankfully it didn't rattle us too much, with the strength of Westall and the dribbling from both wide men creating pressure in the final third. It was Easterbrook who assisted our 2nd, who bamboozled the right back once, then twice, driving to the byline and laid the ball back to the onrushing Taylor 8yds out to guide the ball inside the near post with his left foot. A deserved goal from Jimi who was a bright spark throughout the game. We should have made it more comfortable with a 3rd, when a good ball in behind to Ross, who guided the bouncing ball to the back post for Westall and Easterbrook to get in each other's way, with the better positioned Easterbrook and his call being ignored by Westall on the stretch and the chance wasn't taken. But positive again from the front three. 2nd half Ross was a menace down the right but a frustration at not being granted a corner gave him a 10min breather and effectively ended his game, as once he returned had stiffened up so was subbed. Gunnislake had chances to equalise when well placed in the box 2-3 times but we were fortunate their efforts on goal were central and Sidey held firm, one standout being fortune as it was stuck under his *** too close to the line for comfort. Plenty of crosses and corners were dealt with again by Sidey who punched strongly throughout. Eventually I think Gunnislake lost energy and hope despite the close score line and it finished 2-1. 

Yet another 3 week break now without fixtures until the 16th, but we have played the most games in the league already halfway through. But we all know how winters are in cornish football nowadays. Next week we have Cawsand (A) for our early Xmas social run, before we face Polperro and Millbrook before Xmas. 

• 3 weeks later...

Polperro 0 - 3 Torpoint Athletic

Torpoint goal scorers: Taylor x2, Easterbrook.

After a few weeks off it was good to get another win under our belts in a tough away fixture, in a winter period renowned for difficult in getting games on and conditions conducive to playing good football.

Shooting down the slope in the first half, for the most part it played into the home side's hands as all our final balls lacked football IQ and we rushed things, too direct and the slippery surface just allowed the ball to skip away and out of reach. The first time we got the ball into Westall's feet he played the ball around the corner for the forward run of Taylor who stuck the ball under the keeper for 0-1 around 25mins in. This did improve our overall game as we passed to feet a little more from then on. Polperro should've been in the game though and no.9 in particular had a bad day in front of goal, with one well saved when well positioned and a second after rounding Sidey in goal completely sliced his effort at the empty net from an angle to the back post where his partner would never have forseen a pass (it was definitely a shot) and we got it away to safety with a huge let off. Late in the half we got a cushion for the break with a superb curling pass from deep from ManuelJ inside the box for Taylor to volley home for 0-2 around the 41st min. HT.

2nd half we created few clear cut chances but just before the hour mark Easterbrook got a key 3rd, controlling and tucking away at the back post between the keeper and inside the near post from a Rothwell cross from the right hand side. Defensively I thought we were a bit better and conceded far less chances on goal, except for a few free kicks late in the game and a missed penalty for Polperro with a minute or two to go. Looked soft from my 4 eyes but too far away to really moan at the decision. A big win considering the week leading up to the game in tough conditions for both sides. Polperro weren't the side they were in previous seasons but still no pushovers and it takes us to 3 games unbeaten and 3rd in the league, with 3rd-8th very tight! The next hurdle our noisy neighbours at Millbrook visiting The Mill on Saturday for a Christmas derby. 

• 2 weeks later...

Torpoint Athletic 2 - 0 Millbrook

Torpoint goal scorers: Josh Pope & Chris Westall.

Lots of reasons to be positive going into Christmas after beating our noisy neighbours on Saturday for the 2nd time this season. The valuable 3 points took us up to 2nd in the table, albeit having played more than some of those below us, and a 4 game streak without loss. The goals against column in those 4 games is just 2, with 2 deserved clean sheets to add as well.

As expected, there was a lot riding on the result and murmurs in the build up lead to both sides curious about the team sheets. Once the game began there was little of note in opening stages, though I thought if Rothwell hadn't been pulled back inside the box his effort on goal would've been more threatening but was straight at Tercjak in goal. The next chance on goal from a Taylor corner was met by a strong Westall header that went over the bar. The best chance of the half again came to Westall, who anticipated the Millbrook defender diving in and tried to skip round the challenge before shooting at goal from 18yds, but the defender smartly regained control of the situation and it was cleared to safety. The rest of the half I was a little disappointed in our play, with a lot of time on the ball at the back we weren't patient enough and were far too direct, easy to defend for Millbrook's back line. 0-0 HT.

A change at the break with Small replacing the struggling Easterbrook but there wasn't to be any immediate difference. The threatening Rothwell though was keen to be that difference, racing down the left wing and cut a ball back for the onrushing Westall, whose left footed effort rolled wide of the far post and chance gone. The opening goal was just around the corner though and Rothwell again the provider, cutting inside the box laid a square ball across the body of introduced Pope around 65mins in who rifled his effort into the bottom corner. Finally!

10mins later it was 2-0 with Fuller being first to a loose ball in our half put Westall in down the right hand side who raced away with a superb first touch towards goal, cutting back inside the onrushing keeper and rolled the ball into an empty net for a deserved goal. With plenty of time remaining I felt relatively comfortable for the remainder of the game. 

A pleasing victory confirming the double over our rivals, who had the spoils of both games in the 22/23 season in two poor displays from the then Torpoint side. Many changes to both since then. For us now we have a 3 week break before we return on Jan 13th and 20th, both away at North Petherwin in the league and cup. 

• 3 weeks later...

North Petherwin 4 - 1 Torpoint Athletic

Torpoint goal scorer: Westall

A really disappointing afternoon on Saturday and North Petherwin got the 3 points they deserved.

We weren't completely awful but the result left us feeling pretty deflated afterwards. North Petherwin scored 2 brilliant finishes at either end of the game and to a man were good for it, with bodies on the line and defended well throughout.

Peth started sharply and the pace and movement from Sharpe up front got the opening goal 11mins in, with a neat through ball finding the no.18 to rifle home his finish into the corner from the right hand side of the box. He should've added to his tally in the first half as he was put through two other times with one saved superbly by the foot of Sidey and the other Sharpe leaned back too much and his effort ended up in Bude when he had far more time and space than maybe he'd realised. Peth could've been 3 up the chances were that clear and fortunately for us we were only 1-0 down at the break. We did forge some attacks of our own but the commitment of the black and white shirts thwarted at every occasion. We got the ball into Ross, Westall and Taylor a lot in the final third but all were robbed of possession, closed down quickly and shut off or the balls into the box were poor or the runs not matched. It just didn't click. One break down the right hand side did give us opportunity and I thought Westall was fouled chopping back inside a sliding tackle, but stayed on his feet and a penalty wasn't given.

A bit of a wake up call at half time stirred us and we equalised within the opening 4 mins. Very direct, Copp picked up an overhit pass deep in our half with loads of time to send a long ball over the top for the forward run of Westall, who did very well to lob the bouncing ball over Coles into the net for 1-1 at 49mins. But that work was quickly undone 3mins later as Copp and Manuel had a mix up and Sharpe stole possession 18yds out and tucked the ball under Sidey to retake the lead. We were only level in the game for 14 whole minutes. It wasn't game over and North Petherwin didn't create much more for quite a while until sealing the points late on as we pushed forward. Our best chance to equalise was the home side's own doing, as the no.8 at right back played back to Coles from the halfway was read by Ross who raced through and toed the ball past the keeper and hacked down, the loose ball fell to Easterbrook but the whistle went for offside due to an incorrectly raised flag. This resulted in a loss of momentum and the full back had his lino to thank for not conceding and saving his keeper a yellow card. Ross struggled to get going again after that and we petered out. We did change shape going for it which in the end killed us and skipper Reeve scored from 20yds with a great strike off his left foot into the top corner. He then added a 4th from the spot around 89mins after a Peth forward was fouled and the correct decision was made. 

A slightly harsh score line with the late goals but definitely a just result. The home side worked their socks off throughout and got their rewards. Annoyingly we are back there again this Saturday in the cup. A disgusting drive two weeks on the trot! Hopefully this game will motivate us to better next weekend. I must note it's good to see the foundations for Petherwin's new clubhouse going up as well. Be much better having their own facility to host for games. Could resemble something like Polperro's perhaps. Well done to all those involved in the progress the club has made in recent seasons. 

North Petherwin 2 - 7 Torpoint Athletic

Torpoint goal scorers: Easterbrook x3, Westall x2, Ross & Taylor.

What a difference a week can make. Same opponents a weekend apart and a disappointing loss last week to joyous in the Intermediate Cup today. An aggregate score of 6-8.

Same squad available as last weekend except losing Sidey in goal to deputise for our 1st Team where he kept a clean sheet at home vs Buckland. So Matt Westall stepped in for today's game. For the 10 outfielders who remained unchanged, the chance for redemption. And boy did they get it.

The advantage we had over our hosts was that we had a few lessons identified from last weekend to address and try to nullify, i.e.. the pace in behind from Sharpe. So today we defended slightly deeper and any loss of possession our centre halves were asked to retreat and really decrease the distance between them and Westall in goal. No space behind = no threat. Simple. North Petherwin however had no such advantage, as we were so impotent last weekend they only had hope we'd be as poor again. Notably, they were also missing Gyamfi and their colossus at left back from last week. 

But it wasn't to be for the home side and we had an immediate reaction and were 0-3 within 25mins. Cam Ross on his 3rd start for us from the 3rd team opened the scoring around 8mins in when stepping inside the box on the left hand side to smash low into the corner, then became provider. A goal of everything we discussed pre-game, he was slid in down the right wing to the byline and his delicious low cross was slotted home by Easterbrook in the 6 yard box. Westall then made it 3 skipping past a tackle 12yds out before firing home. A number of corners created problems but didn't add to our tally just yet. Petherwin weren't done though, and on 39mins a lofted free kick from inside halfway to the back post was headed home by skipper Reeve, who is excellent in the air. But the comeback was squashed quickly as we restored our 3 goal lead before the break with Jimi Taylor adding a 4th from 18yds out after Westall had neatly laid the ball back. 1-4 HT.

A halftime break discussing what we did right, to expect a reaction and some pressure, and deal with it. But 3mins from the restart we scored again which is more than we could've asked for. Westall broke free down the right evading the keeper and with loads of time and space crossed the ball to the back post for Easterbrook to volley home under pressure. By 55mins he had his hat trick, Ross again the creator. With the first of the subs introduced, we made it 1-7 before 70mins with Copp racing round Easterbrook on the overlap to whip in for Westall to get his 2nd. Their 2nd linkup in 2wks, albeit very different. With all 5 subs on it remained 1-7 until late on when Petherwin pulled one back with a few mins remaining. 

With a few results in the league going our way as well it was a good day all round for us, and a performance we knew we were capable of and want to see every game. But that's football. Onto the Cup 1/4 final now where we hope for our first home draw of the season or a coach worthy away trip. But first we have 3 league fixtures beginning away at Sticker next weekend. All the best to the Badger and North Petherwin for the rest of their season.

Sticker 0 - 2 Torpoint Athletic

Torpoint goal scorers: Ross & Westall.

We left it very late yesterday but a good result on the road nonetheless against a robust Sticker side. They don't concede as many goals as their league position would usually dictate so I guess we shouldn't have been surprised they were difficult to break down but we should have made it more comfortable on ourselves.

The first half lacked a little quality for the most part, with both sides opting to be more direct than necessary and it resulted in the centre halves being the busier players on the pitch. The home right back was tested a number of times and initially struggled to cope with Easterbrook's dribbling, giving away numerous fouls, but was aptly covered by the experienced Avery on the times he was beaten and avoided the whistle. This threat seemed to ease off though and we stopped turning the screw. The best chance of the half did come from the left, with a low pass into the box to Ross should've been swept home but the little hobbit's size 4s couldn't get a good connection on the ball and was dragged wide on his weaker foot. Chance begging. The 2nd best chance fell to Easterbrook, who beat the offside trap to drive through on goal, but a retreating defender eased on enough pressure in his recovery for Easterbrook to drag his effort wide. Another chance gone begging without hitting the target. Westall and Ross also went extremely close with efforts from range only whiskers away, Ross' in particular from a mile out high on the right hand side. Sticker weren't completely flaccid though and the left foot and control of their forward posed a threat 2-3 times but he too couldn't hit the target. 0-0 HT.

The 2nd half was much better defensively and I didn't feel like we were going to concede, but the longer it stayed at deadlock the frustration ebbed in. We created far more than the first half but again the most the keeper had to do was retrieve the ball for goal kicks. Ross found himself in dangerous positions a number of times on the bottom side to deliver balls into the box but either lacked quality, a recipient or another effort off target. The best balls in from Ross both fell to Westall who struck one high over the bar and another was slightly behind him and that more difficult effort was dragged wide. But thankfully it was these two who won us the game, albeit from a Sticker attack. Deep in our half we won the ball back and a clearance to Westall was superbly flicked on for the forward run of Ross who beat the flag happy offside trap to run in from halfway to finish calmly to take the lead around 83mins. From then on the relief helped our game but Sticker piled forward in search of an equaliser. A corner very late in the game had every Sticker man in the box which was partially cleared with the keeper in no man's land. Seconds later the attack continued but the home custodian was retreating on the halfway line as ManuelJ swooped up a loose ball to set Westall free into the Sticker half, who lobbed the bouncing ball over the stranded keeper and into the net from 35yds for 0-2 on 90mins. 

A justified result and score line which took a long time coming, but positives signs we got it over the line for a valuable 3 points. With nearby challengers in the table dropping points it was even more important. And the returning Josh Payn after 10 weeks out injured was also a big bonus for us. Onto next week as we're at home for the first time in '24 hosting a buoyant Altarnun who had a big win themselves yesterday. All the best to Sticker for the rest of the season. 

Torpoint Athletic 5 - 1 Altarnun

Torpoint goal scorers: Westall x2, Easterbrook, Payn, Monaghan.

First game of the calendar year at home against bottom of the league Altarnun, who were arriving on their first win of the season the previous weekend.

But it wasn't to be the same result for our visitors as we showed our intent in the first 100 seconds. A great team move got us down the left hand side and a good cross in from Easterbrook was finished at the back post by Ross, only to be chalked out by the lino. Looked dubious but if it was offside then there was little excuse. But our threat down the left hand side was to continue throughout. 

We weren't to break the deadlock until after 20mins though, with a first goal for the club for Callum Monaghan, whose shot from the edge of the box wasn't held by the away keeper and into the net. The first of three goals in a ruthless 5 minute spell. 3 mins later Easterbrook received the ball inside the Altarnun half and released Westall whose pitching wedge lobbed the keeper. Easterbrook then got another assist teeing up Payn on his first start in almost 4months after a lengthy lay off. By 40mins it was 4-0 as Easterbrook himself got on the score sheet. Aidy Bark drove through the middle of the pitch and passed wide to Easterbrook who cut inside the shattered right back and his low drive wasn't stopped. 4-0 HT.

Easiest team talk in the world in principle and I should've used the break to pop down the bookies. We were either going to continue the way we played and it would've been a cricket score or we'd become complacent, ease off the gas and draw the 2nd half 1-1. I've been here before. 2mins on the clock and Altarnun pull one back from our own doing. A poor pass from the back wasn't protected in the midfield and the Altarnun attacker was in on goal to tuck under Browner. Class!

From then on naturally Altarnun were a bit lifted, though didn't create much going forward. But it did give them more fight. We did continue to create though particularly down the wings, and good balls in from Manuel, Bark, Easterbrook, Ross and Power all went by without punishment. Both Manuels should've had a goal each as both headed whiskers wide of each post from good set pieces and Easterbrook was playing with a smile on his face at his own lack of fortune in front of goal. It wasn't until late on we got the 2nd half equaliser I predicted with Westall receiving a square ball from the right and sold the defender into believing he had a left foot, very foolish and untrue, to be brought down for a penalty. Westall himself took it and another was fooled diving the wrong way for 5-1. 

Though the 2nd half wasn't as comfortable in adding to the score board I am pleased we continued to create and it could have been more. A positive from recent weeks that we look more threatening than we had done previously. Our 2nd 5-1 victory over Altarnun this season. All the best to them for the rest of their season. Onto next week where I hope this wet weather passes as we hope to visit Callington. 

2 hours ago, Foul Throw 3 said:

Torpoint Athletic 5 - 1 Altarnun

Torpoint goal scorers: Westall x2, Easterbrook, Payn, Monaghan.

First game of the calendar year at home against bottom of the league Altarnun, who were arriving on their first win of the season the previous weekend.

But it wasn't to be the same result for our visitors as we showed our intent in the first 100 seconds. A great team move got us down the left hand side and a good cross in from Easterbrook was finished at the back post by Ross, only to be chalked out by the lino. Looked dubious but if it was offside then there was little excuse. But our threat down the left hand side was to continue throughout. 

We weren't to break the deadlock until after 20mins though, with a first goal for the club for Callum Monaghan, whose shot from the edge of the box wasn't held by the away keeper and into the net. The first of three goals in a ruthless 5 minute spell. 3 mins later Easterbrook received the ball inside the Altarnun half and released Westall whose pitching wedge lobbed the keeper. Easterbrook then got another assist teeing up Payn on his first start in almost 4months after a lengthy lay off. By 40mins it was 4-0 as Easterbrook himself got on the score sheet. Aidy Bark drove through the middle of the pitch and passed wide to Easterbrook who cut inside the shattered right back and his low drive wasn't stopped. 4-0 HT.

Easiest team talk in the world in principle and I should've used the break to pop down the bookies. We were either going to continue the way we played and it would've been a cricket score or we'd become complacent, ease off the gas and draw the 2nd half 1-1. I've been here before. 2mins on the clock and Altarnun pull one back from our own doing. A poor pass from the back wasn't protected in the midfield and the Altarnun attacker was in on goal to tuck under Browner. Class!

From then on naturally Altarnun were a bit lifted, though didn't create much going forward. But it did give them more fight. We did continue to create though particularly down the wings, and good balls in from Manuel, Bark, Easterbrook, Ross and Power all went by without punishment. Both Manuels should've had a goal each as both headed whiskers wide of each post from good set pieces and Easterbrook was playing with a smile on his face at his own lack of fortune in front of goal. It wasn't until late on we got the 2nd half equaliser I predicted with Westall receiving a square ball from the right and sold the defender into believing he had a left foot, very foolish and untrue, to be brought down for a penalty. Westall himself took it and another was fooled diving the wrong way for 5-1. 

Though the 2nd half wasn't as comfortable in adding to the score board I am pleased we continued to create and it could have been more. A positive from recent weeks that we look more threatening than we had done previously. Our 2nd 5-1 victory over Altarnun this season. All the best to them for the rest of their season. Onto next week where I hope this wet weather passes as we hope to visit Callington. 

😭😭😭😭😭

Callington 0 - 4 Torpoint Athletic

Torpoint goal scorers: Easterbrook x3, Halls.

A relatively routine win today against a very young Callington side. A pleasing victory as fixtures like this are a complacency banana skin and with plenty of players unavailable today I was chasing my *** all week trying to get some depth. When Calli said the 3G was on thankfully we had better numbers. 

The opening 10mins was like a poor game of basketball with it being end to end lacking any quality with overhit balls and busy centre halves. We eventually tried to play but Calli looked threatening on the break a few times with Bark in particular making some impressive recoveries. Eventually we dealt with that threat and stemmed the flow and gained a foothold in the game and took a hold of it. Though we probed it took some huge fortune to open the scoring with young Boyd Halls over hitting a cross from the right which flew over the keeper into the far corner. Before that though I can't hide Easterbrook's sitter who met a low cross from the right and stuck the ball into the trees high behind the goal! 42mins in though and he had two. The first from a far better cross than earlier from Halls and Easterbrook headed down inside the near post, then with Payn hustling through the centre, Easterbrook sliced an effort over the keeper for 0-3. A bit of fortune for two of the three, but we created multiple chances to add to our lead so I guess we made our own luck. If Payny fancied shooting today he may just have scored 4! 

Second half was similar, with all shooting opportunities passed up. Calli provided little threat until late on when Bouch fancied playing their forward in on goal, which was blazed over. By that point though we were 4 up with Easterbrook completing his hat trick, with supposedly a training ground goal from my playbook, which I completely missed while giving instructions to a sub about to come on, brilliant! 

Up to 2nd place in the league with plenty below us playing catch up with their fixtures. A big one next week as we welcome Hayle to The Mill in the Intermediate Cup 1/4 final.

• 4 weeks later...

Hayle 2 - 1 Torpoint Athletic

Torpoint goal scorer: Easterbrook.

A 3 week delay before the 1/4 final was eventually played on Hayle's 3G pitch and a really disappointing result. Travelling with a strong squad but no goalkeeper out with illness, that and not creating enough meaningful chances was our downfall. 

Cam Ross should've put us 1-0 up very early on after spinning the defender 30yds from goal and raced through 1v1 only to put his effort wide of the post. Weeks earlier he'd scored from a similar spot at Sticker and you'd bank on him doing better. For the rest of the half we puffed and panted and didn't really get going. The lack of touches on the ball in key areas resulted in sweet fa and we created nothing further. To be honest neither did Hayle and it wasn't very thrilling to watch. One opportunity to pounce on their defence when high up the pitch was missed and a sloppy free kick given away deep in their half was pumped into our box before the break, where the loose ball was calmly finished by the home striker.

HT was fairly positive with lots to improve on and now with the wind in our favour. But 2mins after the restart the stand in keeper dropped a cross by Nan could catch and we were 2-0 down. With plenty of the game left I did think we showed a bit of character to get back into the game. It took a while but a break down the right by Aidy Bark was swept into the 6yd box for Easterbrook to bundle home with around 15mins left. We controlled the remainder of the game but only created one more clear chance to score when Easterbrook sliced wide with Westall well placed inside the 6yd box. Every other time we got the ball into good areas we didn't have the usual quality to break down the home defence. Hayle didn't roll over and weren't too bad either, the young left winger in particular a threat all game. With mins remaining he almost found himself through on goal from a possible offside (only going from the farside reaction of those watching) and he was pulled back by Bark who got his marching orders. 

Hugely disappointing result in a game we win had we played anything like we had attacking wise in the last few games, but it wasn't to be. Good luck to Hayle for their SF and the rest of their league season. My first visit to Hayle and a great setup down there, excellent hosts. 

Torpoint Athletic 4 - 2 Saltash Borough

Torpoint goal scorers: Easterbrook x3, Fuller.

An impressive victory against one of the league's top sides to bounce back from Saturday's disappointment. I'm sure Dwyane will be thrilled for us!

We started the game positively with a chance on goal resulting in a corner. A loose ball was strongly held up (HOW?) by Easterbrook who laid the ball back to Fuller swinging a leg at it with his left and we were 1-0 inside 5mins. From then on we were really poor for the rest of the half if I'm honest. Our passing game was non-existent and anyone with an ounce of time treated it like a hot potato and hoofed the ball to no one. A game of blind basketball for 20mins until, on balance against the run of play, Jimi Taylor teed up Easterbrook to fire a low driven effort inside the far post from 18yards. A nice finish from him but frankly undeserved from the team to be 2 up! Borough were continually quick on the counter with Thomson and Alford willing runners but were for the most part kept quiet. One break down the right went begging as the low ball into the box evaded the two Borough attackers for an easy tap in, chance gone begging. Before HT Easterbrook scored again around 38mins with another Taylor assist. Straight from the kick off Borough caught us sleeping and reduced the deficit back to two with the Borough man evading all half hearted tackles to break through and get the ball into Thomson who finished inside the near post. This woke us up a touch and Easterbrook should've had a first half hat trick when the easiest chance he had all game was put wide from a low ball in from the right. I think it took a bobble but he knew! A slightly fortunate 3-1 HT lead. We had the better chances but composure and quality in possession lacking.

The 2nd half was much better to watch and we should've put the game to bed. The introduction of Joe Preece certainly increased the visitor's threat as his quality on the dribble caused us issues right across their front line. A few visiting free kicks could've caused us issues but thankfully were saved by Rickard or unable to test us. Easterbrook had another chance to complete his hat trick after skipping inside Winfield, choosing to shoot tamely from 18yds when it looked like he had acres to drive further into. A little rushed maybe. Around 70 mins a pacey attack from Borough came down the right hand side, with Tom Manuel positioning himself well to block the cross, only for the ball to fall back to the winger who smashed the ball back at Tom's arm. Penalty. Handball yes, deliberate? No chance. But Alford wasn't to pass up the opportunity and his penalty hit the top corner with Rickard going the other way. 3-2 and game on. Thankfully Borough had far less steam left in them than the threat they could've posed, and we restored the 2 goal cushion not long after with Easterbrook finally get his hat trick tucking home a rebound from his own effort. His 3rd hat trick of the year and 11th in 6 games. Ross should've put the icing on the cake with the game becoming stretched as Westall robbed the keeper on the byline before squaring to Ross. Not quite an empty goal with a defender on the line but with gaps either side Ross' effort was blocked superbly combined with poor placement. Another chance begging. FT 4-2.

Could have been more with the clear chances created but a huge difference from Saturday where we didn't create 1/4 of what we did last night. An important win against a good Borough side who'd beaten us back in August. League position looks a bit more solid with others playing catch up. No game for us now for two Saturdays before we return on the 19th to host Lanson.

• 3 weeks later...

Torpoint Athletic 1 - 3 St Mawgan

Torpoint goal scorer: Manuel J

Beyond disappointing to come away with nothing on Saturday and has done our league position no favours whatsoever with St Mawgan and Saltash both closing the gap on us with games in hand. Both times we've played St Mawgan this season we've had the lions share and should have 6 points if it wasn't for poor finishing in both games, but alas we only have 1 point to show for it.

St Mawgan flew out of the blocks on Saturday to be fair to them and raced into a 2 goal lead inside 10mins. The first was an effort from 20yards which really moved in the wind leaving WestallM a little rooted. Nothing he could've done about that in the elements. The 2nd an even better strike where the attacker skipped inside the tackle and let fly a rocket past the keeper again with no chance, but for different reason. Fortunately we reacted quickly and James Manuel pulled one back following a set piece wide on the right. The rest of the half was of few guilt edge chances, though WestallC went close on two occasions, one a fierce effort from 20yds just off target, and another when on the stretch putting a volley over at the back stick. 1-2 HT.

One change at half time and nothing to really criticise. We had far more of the possession, though this was in fact deliberate from St Mawgan's part who were well drilled allowing our centre halves to have the ball, only to react when it was passed into midfield. This was to set up traps and win it back so it wasn't exactly meaningful possession. Due to this and against the wind in this half the more direct approach was in our favour and it should have paid off dividends on multiple occasions. Cam Ross found himself through on goal twice using his pace to get in behind, the first one a superb recovery tackle came in before the trigger was pulled and the second Cam hit an air shot, assumedly from a bobble. The introduced Small's most pivotal contribution was a great ball into the run of Westall one on one with grass ahead of him, the keeper was high but back peddled quickly and again a defensive recovery had the speed to interrupt the thought process. It wasn't all one way traffic when a St Mawgan counter should've sealed it with a low ball in from the left to the 6yd box being side footed home but a huge leap from WestallM kept it out. The next chance our way was another ball in behind with Payn/WestallC taking possession of the ball and the former rounding the keeper to charge to an empty goal barr one defender on the line but Payny's left foot is a waste of his human anatomy and he hit it straight at the man in blue, only for the rebound to fall to Easterbrook 3yds out who put his rushed effort wide of the gaping posts. Unbelievable. Payny had scored a carbon copy in last season's final vs Foxhole and Easterbrook you'd put more on a bet slip than he does most Saturdays. Late in the game the returning from injury Bouch found himself in unknown territory high on the right wing, somehow bamboozled the left back to drive inside the box to get brought down, penalty! Huge cheers with only seconds remaining. It took an age to take it with St Mawgan's experienced gamesmanship slowing down affairs, and Westall's second guessed penalty was well saved by the visiting keeper. The resultant corner had everyone in the box with the ball falling to goalkeeper WestallM who volleyed towards goal which was blocked and cleared to Bicknell who 60+yds from goal aimed the ball at our net but Lucas Preston was on his bike to roll into an empty net to seal it and then his marching orders for taking his top off and a 2nd yellow card. 

Worthy second half for any neutral at the game but one I definitely feel is the lowest I've felt this season. Did everything but score enough to win it. Cruel sport.

• 4 weeks later...

Torpoint Athletic 4 - 2 Polperro

Torpoint goal scorers: Westall x2, ManuelJ, Easterbrook.

Been a few days since the game now so probably hazy on some detail and chances. But if I could forget the first 60mins of our match I would because we were absolutely dreadful. Though the impetus was ours, we couldn't string 3 passes together. Polperro had a deeper backline and let us have it in spells, but when we couldn't trap a bag of cement they should have pressured us a little more. Passes to feet were wayward or miscontrolled, and any more direct route wasn't looked after either. Sam Lane and Co were more than happy to clear up our mess and punt the ball downfield, which caused us issues as Panchbhaya and the other forward were willing to chase lost causes. We did take the lead around 30mins in, with a complete fluke too. Manuel received the ball infield from the right, and his intention of finding Easterbrook towards the left hand side of the box the ball flew towards goal and clipped the crossbar on the way in. It looked like a worldy and completely undeserved. Polperro's counter brought it back level as it should have been a few mins before halftime with a nice break down the left hand side was squared into the box and tucked away. 1-1 HT.

The honest HT break didn't have an immediate reaction and though the lads knew we weren't performing, it took us a while to click still. The reassuring thing was we all knew what we were capable of. But from the restart, though we showed glimpses of improvement, it was Polperro who took the lead. Another attack born from our own breakdown resulted in a long ball between our centre halves quite high up the pitch in a race with Panchbhaya, who tucked away with a good finish. I had to admit their defensive work had earned the break. We equalised not long after the hour mark, with Jimi Taylor playing a lofted yet hopeful ball into a good area over the right centre half who on the turn had to deal with Westall, who showed strength to shield him off and drive into the box, and rifled the ball inside the far post from an angle. The introduction of Cam Ross had an immediate effect and his relentless nature coupled with Westall lead the team to victory. By this point we were finding passes to feet, and the right hand side of the introduced Power and Ross gave us a huge threat. The words I'd use to describe Ross aren't suitable for the forum and Polperro got the brunt of him, including a double nutmeg on two Polperro defenders, racking up at least 3 in his cameo off the bench and 2 assists. The first a simple lay off to Westall in the middle of the park, who took the last part of the game by the scruff of the neck, powering through multiple tackles to get to the edge of the box, showed nice feet to skip through another two before firing past the visiting keeper to take the lead with 10 to play. Completely in the ascendency now we wrapped it up with Ross again the creator, beating his man again down the right and firing a lovely low cross into the back stick for Easterbrook to tap home from close range for 4-2. For 20mins we looked really dangerous but as I said above it shows what we're capable of and they're the standards we want to set. Polperro were hardy and if it wasn't for a superb save from Dicko when faced with a 1v1, it would've been far harder to get the points. With both sides only having 13 players on the day, and Polperro missing top scorer Gwillam, thankfully our subs made a huge difference.

With players returning we now host Launceston on Wednesday with all our Saturday fixtures wrapped up for the season. Weds, Tues and a Weds to go, plus a TBC likely a midweek, we sit 3rd having some results go our way. 2nd-6th is very tight and plenty to play for with 4-6 games to go!

Torpoint Athletic 5 - 4 Launceston

Torpoint goal scorers: Easterbrook x2, Westall, Ross, Copp. 

A whirlwind game in which we can be thankful we were better going forward than we were at defending. With Saltash dropping points at home vs Gunnislake the hindsight is even better. Not sure where Dwyane has been of late.

Playing against the league's lowest scorers and worst defence you'd think it would be a doddle, but Launceston were 2-0 up within 9mins, great! We actually started brightly and moved the ball well, but a long ball straight down our throat was raced onto by Harrison who finished. 5mins after that Harrison again broke through a few tackles with us dangling a few spaghetti legs in "attempts" to win the ball and he curled a beauty into the top right corner from 20yds. With the recent memory of turning over a deficit on Saturday we weren't too rattled and a beautiful move from defence into Taylor, who spread the ball out to the right hand side for Cam Ross who delivered a delicious cross to the back stick for Easterbrook to tap home. No appeal of offside as Ryan had clearly ghosted in behind the full back but the lino disagreed. The ref said he knew it was onside but had let play be restarted too quickly? A bit poor really. But we weren't deterred and did get the first one back quickly. Another cross from the right hand side, again from Ross, was glanced towards goal by ManuelJ, and with Westall moving in on goal himself guided it home. The equaliser took another 20mins but it was certainly inevitable. With Launceston having something to hold onto, their defenders put their bodies on the line and 3-4 times had goal bound shots blocked when we were well placed, Payny in particular denied a nice team goal when running onto a square ball from Easterbrook was blocked right on the line. 35mins played Bark picked the ball up in our own half and drove forwards at pace then angled across the pitch to square to Easterbrook 30yards out, who drove inside before firing from distance inside the near post for 2-2. Game on. But no more goals before the half as the 20min spell we had petered out a little. 

After easing off before the break, we implied ourselves again after the restart. On 47mins a good move down the left broke to Payny on the end of the box who moved the ball out to Ross who drove a fierce effort inside the far post for 3-2. 10mins later we extended the lead with another well worked goal. Westall picked the ball up on halfway from the defence, with time and space to turn switched the ball out to the right wing for Cam Ross to deliver another good cross for Easterbrook to tap home, this time onside! 4-2.

The 2 goal lead didn't last long though as a stupid mix up between keeper and two defenders allowed Lanson's Hatch to pull one back. A long ball over the top was first poorly headed back, not to the keeper who'd made his way out to claim, and then sliced into the path of Hatch to tap home. Completely avoidable. With 15mins remaining the visitors equalised to make it 4-4 and give themselves a bit more belief. Thankfully ours wasn't crushed and we continued to probe. Ross the main threat down the right, who was thwarted by two bad challenges and had to come off. But we eventually retook the lead with the introduced Mills feeding Cam Copp galloping forwards to hit a strong effort from 20yds low into the corner for his 1st of the season. Not a bad way to end a duck and a vital one for 3 points. We had other chances to score but didn't get our shots away, with Easterbrook and Westall both twisting and turning in the box but not getting a clear sight with defenders showing good footwork. Launceston themselves had the biggest chance in the closing stages with one of their subs breaking into the box had a huge opportunity to shoot at goal but oddly opted to turn back inside a retreating defender and was smothered and cleared out for a corner instead. Opportunity missed. 5-4 FT.

Good in front of goal where again we had spells in the game where we looked really dangerous. At the back, I'll get told I'm being too harsh! Big 3 points which takes us to 2nd in the table at least until Saturday. Then we welcome St Austell on Tuesday to The Mill for our final home game of the season. 

Torpoint Athletic 2 - 2 St Austell

Torpoint goal scorers: Easterbrook, Taylor.

Hugely disappointed given we were 2-0 up at HT, but St Austell to their credit fought back and were good for the draw. 

It was St Austell who started the stronger and we were nothing but frantic in our play. Their best chance of the first half came from a quality ball in behind to a well timed run from the visiting forward who came face to face with Sidey in goal quickly, but passed him to drive towards an open goal only to hit his effort at goal at the retreating Fuller to block on the line. Chance gone begging and a wake up call for Torpoint. After that we did improve from 25-30mins played having been the lesser side. St Austell were adamant at playing from the back but it was repetitive and in time we got great joy from it, winning the ball back multiple times high up on the left with Easterbrook and Westall backed up in numbers. This gave us opportunities but efforts on goal were blocked, saved or off target. With half an hour played we got ourselves on top and took the lead from a set piece. A curling ball in from deep on the left by Taylor found Easterbrook whose deft touch with his back to goal flicked the ball inside the near post with the keeper nonethewiser. This hit St Austell and we were quickly 2-0 up. A chipped ball from right back found Taylor running in behind whose first touch was incredible to bring the ball down to drop in front of him, and in one swift act lifted the ball on the half volley over the onrushing keeper from 25 yards with a delicate finish. As individual quality goes, it could be our goal of the season. On top until the half we should've put the game to bed, with Payn getting himself through on goal 1v1 only to not get his shot away, a common trait and an opportunity missed as a last ditch tackle came in. 2-0 up at the break with only 15mins of dominance and could've been out of sight, but were fortunate Fuller rescued us early on.

The 2nd half was 45mins to forget and frankly embarrassing to watch as we kept giving the ball away time and time again. St Austell came out fighting and were back level within 10mins from 2 set pieces. On 50mins a free kick given out on the right was taken by Hutchings with an inswinger and headed into the net. Then 5mins later a set piece from the opposite side was again headed in for their equaliser. Disappointing to concede from set pieces but we ourselves benefitted from one in the first half, and sloppy from us to give away so many in dangerous areas. St Austell were the same and the game was riddled with cheap free kicks from less than meaningful contact. I've seen more contact in u12s games. Fortunately for us St Austell didn't threaten enough from then and go for the win as with very limited numbers they may have ran out of energy. We didn't capitalise on this as the Monstars from Space Jam had stolen our powers from the 15min spell in the first half and we forgot to play football, run, breathe, compose, care. Not the way I wanted to bow out of our home games for the season with a poor performance. 2-2 FT.

Two to go away at Lanson next week and Saltash the week after. Can't wait.