Cornwall Football Forum

Parkway 0 Argyle 2.

A pretty good pre season game in front of a good 2000 odd fans at packed bolitho saw Plymouth  parkway new look team go down 2 nill to championship Plymouth argyle.

first half parkway were chasing shadows and looked way  off the pace  and didn’t seem to settle at all , they Just seemed to lump the ball anywhere   , understandably argyle would dominate the ball but parkway we’re definitely under par . The young 16 year old argyle left back gave joe Belsen a torrid time  and parkway were lucky to go in only 1 down to be fair. 

2nd half argyle made a ton of changes and parkway were completely different team and for first 15 mins were on top . with crago having a brilliant chance  to equalise when clean through but seem to scuff his shot . Another chance from a Garside free kick was also pushed away by argyle keeper 
argyle would eventually pile the pressure on with parkway looking very tired and scored towards the end to make it 2 nill  

parkway and Lee Hobbs  would finish the night pretty happy I imagine as  they gave them a decent game. 

I thought Rio Garside was excellent and probably the pick off the parkway players along with Ryan lane  . 
I do worry tho  about the strength of the team at the minute . Only 3 subs used and that was pretty much at the end of the game . 1 was a very young striker I think from youth set up. and the other was Adam Carter who got about 3 mins .  A few players were out on their feet at end.  Parkway have good solid 11 that will be competitive in that division but I worry who coming in if key players pick up knocks. 

I'm very much in the camp of "you can't take much from the results in PSF's."

From a playing perspective, Parkway would have got exactly what they wanted from this in terms of building fitness, team shape and amalgamating the new signings.

Agree with Sportsman10 regarding the squad in that the starting 11 looks reasonably strong, but the depth is possibly lacking. If pushing towards the play offs is to be a realistic ambition, then you wouldn't want a repeat of last season when there was a lack of options off the bench (couldn't even fill it on occasions).The two areas I would worry about are the central defence where there is no obvious cover (gather that Mikey Williams was again superb on the left of a back 3) for the regular starters, and the forward positions.  Ben Seymour's 20 odd league goals have to be replaced, and I'm not sure 18 year old Dylan Jones (exciting prospect that he is, it is quite a jump to step 3 football) and 35 year old Adam Carter will be the answer. Last season, scoring away from home in the league was an issue, the games I saw had Parkway enjoy a lot possession without turning this into scoring opportunities. A lot will fall on the shoulders of Jack Crago, with the signing of Alfie Moulden suggesting that he will be used mostly centrally this season. The trialists that are being carried in pre season may turn into something, but It does look to me like Lee Hobbs will be looking to dip into the loan market for a striker and defender once the season starts.

• 2 weeks later...

Very good 1-1 draw away to Taunton Friday night for parkway  .  And it’s been a good pre season so far.  
but looking at the team again and who was on the bench you have a core of 6-7 players there that have already played 90 mins in every game so far almost unheard of in pre season .
No Carter again who i can only assume is injured. Only featured for 5 mins against argyle or Henry Wilson who seems to have only played 1 game.  Just worry about injuries or fatigue for this core group in very small squad with season almost here 

1 hour ago, sportsman10 said:

Very good 1-1 draw away to Taunton Friday night for parkway  .  And it’s been a good pre season so far.  
but looking at the team again and who was on the bench you have a core of 6-7 players there that have already played 90 mins in every game so far almost unheard of in pre season .
No Carter again who i can only assume is injured. Only featured for 5 mins against argyle or Henry Wilson who seems to have only played 1 game.  Just worry about injuries or fatigue for this core group in very small squad with season almost here 

There was something on Henry Wilson's instagram the other day about doing MCL recovery, so assume he's had a knee injury.

23 hours ago, sportsman10 said:

Not going to comment on the match as I wasn't there, and haven't spoken to anybody that was, but (from reading both club's Twitter feeds) their widly different accounts do make me wonder if the same game was watched.

Watched Karl Curtis's  after the game, and it seemed to be a very honest account of how pre season has gone, and is progressing,with a couple of weeks to go until it gets going properly. It did appear as well that inadvertently let slip the identity of goalscoring "Trialist A."

Agree with Sportsman10's assessment of the squad, does look light at centre back and centre forward and would still think there'll be players coming in (possibly on loan).

Looks promising so far though, but it will all become clearer a month or so into the start when sense can be made of the relative strengths of recruiting/retention from their rivals. 

6 hours ago, Way Of The Park said:

Not going to comment on the match as I wasn't there, and haven't spoken to anybody that was, but (from reading both club's Twitter feeds) their widly different accounts do make me wonder if the same game was watched.

Watching purely as a neutral I was very impressed with Parkway and thought that they deserved the win. Second half especially they played some really good stuff.