Cornwall Football Forum

Names for Proposed Merged West Junior League

One of the major and most interesting decisions to be taken will be the name for the new league and ideas will be invited from everyone involved in the two leagues, both from officials and from clubs.

As it is on the drawing board. What do you think the proposed merged west cornwall junior league should be named if it goes ahead?

Before anyone puts it down, not the Falmouth Helston Mining League or could it be. :D

Rich :c:

Well unless I'm mistaken, it will be an amalgamation of junior leagues. So why not go for something simple that just says exactly what we would be involved in. Something like.........

Cornish Junior League 1, 2, 3 etc OR Cornwall Junior League 1, 2, 3... You get the point.

garry thats awful :D

That is pretty bad.... no offence!

If this falls under part of the pyramid system then there should be some kind of unity with the Duchy league (is that what it is called?). They should be called Duchy, or kernow a good shout :c: , East & West. Then it is obvious that it represents the same level........junior football.

Perhaps one good sponsor to cover the county?

Guest postman pat

would you have to get permission off the Duchy league to use the same name all be it east and west :blink: it would be a good idea if it was a unified name then standards would be equal across the county for pyramid purposes.

also if teams wanted to arrange friendlies you would have an idea of standard of opposition. :c:

I like Duchy East and West personally but there is a problem. There are a small handful of devon clubs in the Duchy League right now. Would they have to go or would they be permitted to stay? It's possible also there will be even more by the time any combination takes place.

I don't see why changes in the west should affect the Duchy League. The Duchy League is an extremely well run league with a very strong history and I can't see it being particularly happy to change its name to "Duchy East". I also cannot see why it should, as has been suggested, lose some of its clubs, those that happen to be just across the border in Devon. Those clubs made a positive decision to move to the Duchy League in recent seasons for good reasons, mostly for football standards and facilities, and have been an extremely positive influence on the standard across the Duchy League.

I think the Mining/Falmouth & Helston merger to be something that should have happened years ago and cannot really understand why there needs to be a wait until one of them has completed 50 years. Surely if the future is be a merger, it should be pursued as soon as possible in the interests of football in general rather than the interests/vanity of a few league officials.

Yes I did but I wasn't suggesting they couldn't stay. I'm sorry I didn't make myself clear. Most of the names being suggested point to a Cornish league, Kernow, Duchy etc. No, I don't have a problem with Devon clubs continuing to be included in fact they they are a stong part of the Duchy League mostly. The stronger the league the better as far as I'm concerned. I believe one or two more could be present when any changes are made. All of this is a long way off anyway.