Cornwall Football Forum

Predictions for Top 6 TS Western League 2021

Mousehole my title tip with the Ashes and Helston in the Top 6. Millbrook in the top half too. Exemouth the strongest Devonian challengers, although I hope the Buckland boys can surprise, as no-one tipping them to be challengers!

Top 6:

1. Mousehole 2. BItton 3. Exmouth Town 4. Saltash Utd 5. Bridgwater Utd 6. Helston Ath

Millbrook top half too!

Having watched WL football for about 5 seasons, as well as SWPL East & West

1 hour ago, Both Sides of the Tamar said:

Mousehole my title tip with the Ashes and Helston in the Top 6. Millbrook in the top half too. Exemouth the strongest Devonian challengers, although I hope the Buckland boys can surprise, as no-obe tipping them to be challengers!

Top 6:

1. Mousehole 2. BItton 3. Exmouth Town 4. Saltash Utd 5. Bridgwater Utd 6. Helston Ath

Millbrook top half too!

Having watched WL football for about 5 seasons, as well as SWPL East & West

Helston were sat in 14th last, what makes you think they'll be up there this season? 

Firstly, the 14th place was not where Helston would have finished a complete season! At the time of the shutdown Helston were about to embark on a series of eminently winnable games that would have shot them up the table!

My prediction, and that is all it is, predicated on a number of factors:

1) Steve Massey is a smart manager and the club have the resources to push for a top 6 finish and they'll be prepared to bring in more / better players if necessary

2) The playing style has evolved now into a smoother more possession oriented game, rather than the athleticism, power and direct style of old

3) I saw them play as recently as Monday against an impressive Wadebridge team that was a credit to Cornish football. Blues have good players in all areas. Whilst much is made by some of an allegedly expensive squad assembled, they have a good youth system and players coming through.

4) Lastly, having watched Buckland regularly - as well as a bit of Tavi - in the WL for some seasons, I believe there isn't a big gap between the WL and the top SWPL West sides. With that in mind I can't see any of the upwardly mobile sides from Cornwall struggling.

Of course, like any prediction, I could be hopelessly wrong!!

45 minutes ago, unclebilltc said:

BSOTT - you two sit in the next to back row of the Tavvy stand on your visits there perhaps!

We do indeed! Both always enjoy our visits to Langsford Park. Disappointed to see some high profile departures as you've played some great stuff these last 2 curtailed seasons. Have watched even more of Saltash so expecting a good game. Hope I'm wrong on the prediction front and Tavi are a force, after Saturday!

I live in hope for an upturn at the Bucks too!

Yes, there was too much within your postings for my guess re your identity not to be correct. Like you,  I have a suspicion that Tavvy may not quite hit the heights of recent times, I hope that I am wrong and although pre season is mostly about getting minutes into legs etc recent form suggests that Saltash are favourites on Saturday. Unfortunately I cannot get to the game but am sure we will meet again as the season progresses. An interesting one awaits methinks!

Think Tavi will be in and around the top 5 again. It is their 3rd season in the league, so Stuart Henderson and the nucleus of the squad understand the league and what is needed. They've lost one or two players, but Matt Andrew and Jason Vincent are decent additions and the likes of the Daw brothers, Josh Oak, Josh Robins, Callum Watson and Josh Grant make up a pretty strong core group.

Pretty good preview of the new Western League season on the "Toolstation Western League Fans" Twitter (@tswlfans). They give a brief club by club prediction for the 2021/22 campaign. It looks like it's going to be an open competition with plenty of league and promotion contenders.

21 hours ago, unclebilltc said:

Yes, there was too much within your postings for my guess re your identity not to be correct. Like you,  I have a suspicion that Tavvy may not quite hit the heights of recent times, I hope that I am wrong and although pre season is mostly about getting minutes into legs etc recent form suggests that Saltash are favourites on Saturday. Unfortunately I cannot get to the game but am sure we will meet again as the season progresses. An interesting one awaits methinks!

I wish Tavi well. Nice club. Those around us when we go to Tavi a good bunch, as well you know 😉 Whilst Tavi will not struggle, they don't seem quite as strong as the past couple of seasons? Is Callum Watson staying? Really rate him. 

I look forward to seeing how the new signings fare.

As for the Ashes: Tavi (H), Helston (A) and Millbrook (A) in the FA Cup is a tough start. It should give a clue to prospects for the season tho'

Callum Watson came off injured during a PSF a couple of weeks ago, other than that I've not heard any rumours re his ongoing availability although I'm not totally up to speed on current detail!