Cornwall Football Forum

WOW!!! TALK ABOUT HOW POPULAR THE SWPL IS

WOW!!! TALK ABOUT HOW POPULAR THE SWPL IS.

Application News

Please note that the following club has correctly applied to join the Western Premier (Step 5) for the 2008/09 season. Acceptance is conditional on ground grading and final league position.

Plymouth Parkway AFC

Please note that the following clubs have correctly applied to join the league for the 2008/09 season. Acceptance is conditional on ground grading and final league positions.

Bovey Tracey AFC -- South Devon League

Chagford AFC -- South Devon League

Exeter Civil Service AFC -- Devon & Exeter League

Godolphin Atlantic AFC -- East Cornwall Premier League

Heavitree Harriers AFC -- Devon & Exeter League

Helston AFC -- Cornwall Combination League

Royal Marines AFC -- Royal Navy FA (Non National League Application)

Sticker AFC -- East Cornwall Premier League

St Martins AFC -- Devon & Exeter League

Truro City Reserves -- Cornwall Combination Lge (Subject to 1st Team in Southern League 2008/9)

Additionally an application from Wellington AFC Reserves has been declined under League Rule 2.1

Clubs in Division 1 East & West wishing to apply to join the Premier Division must submit their application in writing by the 1st March.

I think the Royal Marines application is a curious one. Not only will clubs already using their players miss out, but god forbid what will happen to their team in the event of a conflict anywhere in the world and they are called away for active duty.

As I understand it, Heavitree United were taken over by the Heavitree Social and play in the Devon & Exeter League under that name. I have no idea who Heavitree Harriers are but I get a feeling they are a change of name Can anyone help?. MR Hiscox you should know.

:thumbsup: Spot on ECPL regarding service teams. Even more so those that have their grounds in service establishments. When Command were in the Devon league and indeed other teams in local football - it was a farce trying to get into a ground to watch. I accept that the security has to be - but its no good at all for normal leagues to have them in. Leagues have all sorts of dates to abide by, public to have access, parking,facilities etc. If some service team gets in a league at this level, it will be a disaster for the league and the public who watch this level football. We had constant trouble with access, dates, arrangements etc - not a good idea. It seemed good at the time, to some, because Commannd had a nice pitch in HMS Drake, but it was no good at all really. :thumbsup:

From what i understand Godolphin are staying at their ground and developing the changing facilities and getting the pitch to conform with the SWPL requirements. ;0) :c:

Royal Marines AFC will be based at Lympstone our football pitches are outside of the camp. They are used at the moment by Plymouth Argyle youth teams.

We will looking to enter div 1 east.

Our players will be predominantly based at CTCRM, which is a training establishment (non deploying).

This season we have played Plymouth Parkway, Ottery St Mary, Exmouth Town, Barnstaple Town and various representative teams from around the country.

www.royalmarinesfootball.co.uk

<_< Take your point Stig - but is that what we would want for this league - no access by the general public - names to be submitted to the establishment prior to the match - all car numbers to be given. It was an impossible task and one that the public following local football in Plymouth didn't like. I accept that if the ground is outside theboudery of theservice establishment, fair enough. But where is the clubhouse if that is inside then the problem will arise - believe me - I have been there.

Hi Chaps

A couple of points regarding the debate so far.

1) Heavitree Harriers are an up & coming club based around the Heavitree Inn in Exmouth and playing in the Woodbury area, no connection at all with Heavitree United who play in the same league. They are currently in 7th. The other applicants from that league, St Martins who are based in Exminster are 5th and Exeter Civil Service are currently 1st.

2) Royal Marines AFC. The words "Non National League Application" was put beside them on the official league statement this is because they do not play in 1 of the 6 feeder leagues. The board will have to rule on whether it wants to consider them and cannot do so at the expense of national league applications. The board do not meet until 6th March when that will be on the agenda. To be fair to them I would state that their ground is located opposite the marine camp on the A376 and as such is not subject to having to get past the gateman who carrys a machine gun !

3) Wellington Reserves - Two issues, 1 they would not be 2 clear steps ahead of their 1st team but primary reason for refusal was that whilst they do play in 1 of our 6 feeder leagues (they are 2nd in Devon & Exeter) their home ground is not located in Devon or Cornwall which is what Rule 2.1 refers to.

Phil H

Thanks Distant shores for raising that point - this is precisely why its important to have a system of applications & inspections.

To find out all the answers we would need to do a site visit and this can only be done if they have gone through the application process. I certainly would not recommend that the ground inspection team visited a military base to snoop around and try to find out the answers !

If we didn't allow an application we may never know, though some would say we should not entertain an application.

:SM_carton: could be the first ground inspection team detained - think who you could put on it. :thumbsup: no you cannot say never to any team - providing they meet the crireria for easy access to all parts of the ground - no names in advance, no car details, arriving at different times, free access to the club facilities etc -- fair enough.