Cornwall Football Forum

TOWN NOT STUNG BY THE BEES (BRIDPORT)

As the song goes .Didnt we have a lovely time the day we went to Bridport .?

Well after 2 days of horrendous weather , i was doubtfull if this game would go ahead .But the travelling town faithfull gathered at Bickland to be told the worst of the rain had missed bridport,  the ground had passed inspection the night before and we boarded the bus and were underway at 9.30 . After the compulsory full english breakfast at exeter services we were on our way for another hour to bridport practising  the old f troop songs and chants along the way .just like the vase days of old .Arriving at the ground i was impressed with the set up .completely  enclosed level pitch with covered areas to 2 sides great tea hut , big changing rooms and clubhouse attached. Pitch looked perfect for fast free flowing football but the strong wind was blowing from end to end .Town playing into the wind 1rst half were finding it hard to get the ball to the strikers by some good intercepting and tackles by the bridport midfield and defence, in particular the burly Chris Mcgarth who was man marking Jordan Annear.I'M sure jordan was relieved to see him go off injured after 20 mins ,and this changed the game .Town suddenly had more freedom, movement and adapted to the wind better than bridport who were overhitting everything to there useful right winger leighton thomas and striker oscar latas .Anything that did get through was easily dealt with by towns defence well marshalled as usual by captain joe cooper .On 33 mins town broke the deadlock with a debut goal from Luke johnson (what a find he is) . 40 mins jordan annear scored after the keeper saved his initial shot and james ward 43 mins with a looping header left bridport players and supporters shellshocked at half time .second half playing with the wind and ball to feet rather than lobbing it like bridport had done 1rst half ,town added further goals from Luke Brabyn 62 mins , Tom Annear 68 mins and a blistering shot from Jack Bowyer 83mins .Come the final wistle both teams were applauded off the pitch by both sets of supporters and one bridport supporter said Falmouth were the best footballing side he'd  seen for quite some time . Nice touch as well the bridport chairman passing his congratulations and a bottle of champagne to the falmouth chairman.

Thought the officials, especially Pierluigi Collina lookalike referee mr Parsons ,were very good letting the game flow as much as possible and explaining his decisions to any defaulters .My M.O.M for Falmouth is a dual one Luke johnson for his skill on the left wing ,you would never know it was his debut and the pocket dynamo that is Martyn Duff in midfield who was outstanding .

So after some liquid refreshment in the clubhouse the players left for an overnight team bonding stay in torquay ,and the bickland faithfull made their way back home via exeter services where they parked alongside the Newquay team coach on their way back from Bournemouth .Funny old world as they are our next opponents on tuesday night

.Sorry if ive bored anybody .I dont profess to being a reporter just thought I'd do my bit for national non league day as requested by Dave Deacon.

Cheers and gone ! ?

9 hours ago, mattelot said:

As the song goes .Didnt we have a lovely time the day we went to Bridport .?

Well after 2 days of horrendous weather , i was doubtfull if this game would go ahead .But the travelling town faithfull gathered at Bickland to be told the worst of the rain had missed bridport,  the ground had passed inspection the night before and we boarded the bus and were underway at 9.30 . After the compulsory full english breakfast at exeter services we were on our way for another hour to bridport practising  the old f troop songs and chants along the way .just like the vase days of old .Arriving at the ground i was impressed with the set up .completely  enclosed level pitch with covered areas to 2 sides great tea hut , big changing rooms and clubhouse attached. Pitch looked perfect for fast free flowing football but the strong wind was blowing from end to end .Town playing into the wind 1rst half were finding it hard to get the ball to the strikers by some good intercepting and tackles by the bridport midfield and defence, in particular the burly Chris Mcgarth who was man marking Jordan Annear.I'M sure jordan was relieved to see him go off injured after 20 mins ,and this changed the game .Town suddenly had more freedom, movement and adapted to the wind better than bridport who were overhitting everything to there useful right winger leighton thomas and striker oscar latas .Anything that did get through was easily dealt with by towns defence well marshalled as usual by captain joe cooper .On 33 mins town broke the deadlock with a debut goal from Luke johnson (what a find he is) . 40 mins jordan annear scored after the keeper saved his initial shot and james ward 43 mins with a looping header left bridport players and supporters shellshocked at half time .second half playing with the wind and ball to feet rather than lobbing it like bridport had done 1rst half ,town added further goals from Luke Brabyn 62 mins , Tom Annear 68 mins and a blistering shot from Jack Bowyer 83mins .Come the final wistle both teams were applauded off the pitch by both sets of supporters and one bridport supporter said Falmouth were the best footballing side he'd  seen for quite some time . Nice touch as well the bridport chairman passing his congratulations and a bottle of champagne to the falmouth chairman.

Thought the officials, especially Pierluigi Collina lookalike referee mr Parsons ,were very good letting the game flow as much as possible and explaining his decisions to any defaulters .My M.O.M for Falmouth is a dual one Luke johnson for his skill on the left wing ,you would never know it was his debut and the pocket dynamo that is Martyn Duff in midfield who was outstanding .

So after some liquid refreshment in the clubhouse the players left for an overnight team bonding stay in torquay ,and the bickland faithfull made their way back home via exeter services where they parked alongside the Newquay team coach on their way back from Bournemouth .Funny old world as they are our next opponents on tuesday night

.Sorry if ive bored anybody .I dont profess to being a reporter just thought I'd do my bit for national non league day as requested by Dave Deacon.

Cheers and gone ! ?

What do you mean Luke Johnson what I find. Good player but has been a find for a couple years now ?

2 minutes ago, Mike Odgers said:

Luke joined from Penzance and last season was at Mousehole.

I do believe he has played for Illogan and maybe Holman SC-are there any more clubs?

Did he have a natter with Olly Walker who he replaced when the busses were parked up ?

No mike .the players had their own bus and went straight to torquay .