Cornwall Football Forum

Bodmin Town Res - what is going on?

What is going on at Bodmin Town Res? The game against Morwenstow was switched to Wadebridge even though the pitch seemed anything but waterlogged.

Apparently they (the committee?) have come to a conclusion that they don't want the team playing the rest of their home games at Priory Park and all home games have to be played away.

If this is true then it's not the first time this has happened. Total disgrace to local talent from what I have witnessed of the years. When the Gilbert tribe decide they have had enough then the club will struggle to keep going. There is enough talented footballers in bodmin to hold there own in the peninsula league without having to draft players from Plymouth etc. Why have a decent youth set up if the boys probably won't ever get a chance to play senior football for there home town. Look at all the bodmin lads playing peninsula football at other clubs in Cornwall. Bring back Mike Barbary to the club I say

Just read the Twitter feed, and it seems very sad.

Totally accept that the first team must take precedence BUT Bodmin Reserves are local lads and Bodmin Firsts are not. Whilst Bodmin do not appear to use their Reserves as a feeder for the first team, what is the point in the Reserves showing any loyalty to the club if they are treated this way - I am sure there are many local clubs who would love those currently playing in the Reserves - who then uses Bodmin club and if their money dries up they will be left in a very precarious position with no money and no local support.

I'm sure Bodmin committee have considered the feeling of their Reserves, but if not, just be careful as it unraveled very quickly.

So what's the two sides to the story? 

Way it's seen by a damn majority of people is that the LOCAL lads who play for Bodmin seconds have been shunted out the door shame as the lads who play for the team probably spent more money behind that bar over the years than most people shame the club used to thrive years ago good clubhouse good people connected to the club what hardship is it that two teams from the same club can't use the same pitch? 

Wasnt it mentioned prior that Truro were planning on maybe using the pitch if they had to vacate treyew road what would they do then tell Truro they can't play on the pitch as it's to wet? 

Serious us issues at priory park yes it's nice to have a first team that do well but why not let a local bunch of lads play for there home club on there own clubs pitch? 

2 minutes ago, Bodmin bey said:

probably spent more money behind that bar over the years than most people

I can only repeat what I have been told and that is that the reserve team have been bringing their own cases of beer into the bar and drinking that.I think a committee member needs to make some comments on this matter.

12 minutes ago, Keith B said:

Ahh - no sir, I didn't know that. If that's the case - as I said, it's unhealthy. I dare say (again in my ignorance) at one time they perhaps kept the club afloat (?) if so perhaps it's about time a new Committee was elected - with new and younger (?) candidates. That would need a good membership turnout at the AGM to get new folk elected. Dreams can come true. :)

have u not seen the numerous tweets asking for new people to get on board' NOBODY has turned up once ..

It's no wonder they've had enough. The pictures posted on social media of the pitch last week after it had been postponed were an absolute joke. The club should be embarrassed and ashamed and I'm amazed the league didn't step in. Makes a mockery of the whole thing. 

A very sad situation, it sounds like the reserve team are being treated unfairly and being bullied out of the club. Surely they must stay and fight for their right to represent their local football club. Leaving and playing for another club (Nanpean) only condones the behaviour and is also very short sighted for the new club. 

The ECPL gets its fair share of negative views from the local football community and this is the reason why. Too many clubs coming and going and constant restructuring of the league to accommodate. 

Number13 - how is this anything to do with the ECPL, it is an internal matter at Bodmin FC? This all happened last season, when Bodmin Reserves kept having their games cancelled (by all accounts on here to keep the pitch in good conditions for the first team). The ECPL had no choice but to allow cancellations, as was discussed last year, and all they could have done at most was award points against Bodmin Reserves, which would have been unfair on the team.

The fact that Bodmin committee / club do not want the Reserves to play on their pitch is a matter for them - so is the fact that if the Reserve players have had enough playing / not being allowed to play for Bodmin and want to go elsewhere next season then that is a matter for them. If during closed season all of Bodmins players and manager (as reported above), decide to go to Nanpean - what exactly are the ECPL supposed to do. 

It is very sad for all concerned, but vent your frustrations at where the problem lies - senior clubs who overly fund their first team by buying in players and a complete disconnect between first and reserve teams, with no/very few local players in the first teams.

At the moment the ECPL has 15 (out of 28 teams) SWPL Reserve teams playing across the two leagues (many of these can't progress due to the position of their First team) - as opposed to the Combo with only 6 out of 20 (4 of which are in the bottom 6 of the table). Very few players from any of those Reserve Teams make their way into the first team for their club, the exception probably being Newquay and that has really cost the Reserve team. 

If Reserve teams are not being used as feeders for the first teams, why have reserve teams? People complain about the quality of leagues, well perhaps a lot of that is due to too many teams and spreading the quality too thin - let Bodmin Reserves players move to Nanpean, if that folds the Bodmin team, so be it, but it also tightens the skill pool. It would be very sad to loose a team, but perhaps not all bad.

• 2 weeks later...

Not the first time this has happened and it won't be the last. The way the second team at Bodmin get treated is pretty appalling and it's been going on for years but so long as the first team is flooded with players from Plymouth, the second team with traditionally more local lads will get little to no support.