Cornwall Football Forum

JCCL - Overachievers / Underachievers

Overachievers - St Ives - very hard team to beat - went on a good winning streak. overlooked by many i think,

Underachievers - Redruth - at the start of the season many tipped this as potential title challengers! Mid table finish is more likely this season

Overachievers are all the managers, people who wash the kits, mark the pitches, get sponsorship,(Often these things are carried out by the same person/people)! The Committees that ensure that finances are in place for kit, officials etc.   Underachievers are the not committed, and those that critise without ever giving up their time to help local football, or their local team. 

Edited by MJP

That may be slightly harsh on Redruth United, this is what, their 2nd or 3rd season in the league? Yes, they had a squad more than capable to challenge for the league, but like most teams, when the going is good, there are players coming out of the managers ears, but when it gets a bit tough, they seem to disappear. And I bet that is the case at Redruth, with players leaving and the manager grovelling to the loyal players and maybe younger players coming through. If I'm honest, I think mullion overachieved and Wendron underachieved in league terms. Goonhavern and Hayle have had very good seasons and the future at Hayle could look quite promising. I thought St Just would do a bit more this season, let's not forget Helston, they've done well, and St Ives were there consistent self. St Day, I thought would do a little better, and Aggie looked good, until they lost their top scorer. All in all, the standard has been good this year, from what I've seen, but none of it would be possible without those behind the scenes, giving up their time for free, to wash kits, cut and mark pitches, organise training venues, clean changing rooms, provide refreshments, and run the line etc etc etc

Edited by winston

What a provoking question. Ok I'll take the bait... See thread at start of season in which you'll see that redruth were Only an after thought for title http://www.cornwallfootballforum.com/forum/index.php?/topic/27572-combination-league-201415/ i would also say this has been a very competitive year with everyone beating everyone so I am not at all bitter by all the strong teams finishing ahead of us. Furthermore these teams are well established senior clubs Who have been around for years. I'm sure if at the beginning of last year you were to offer Neal 5th and 6th in redruths first two years of senior football he would have taken it with both hands. And actually considering our set up I.e council pitch no club house etc and what happens to clubs after year 1 of senior football I would say we have certainly achieved and am very proud about what Neal and the team have done for us. P.s see you next year we may just hang around a few more seasons

My thoughts on this season .after a few seasons of the combo being in my opinion being in the doldrums .the standard of football has gone up .with more teams using local lads and players sticking with same teams. A bonus this year also hardly any mentions about players being paid .. The refs have responded well this season in the games I have had the chance to watch or walk the line for with players showing more common sense towards them and having banter as well . not sure on under or overachievers as any team that can complete all their fixtures in a season even when results go against you get my vote . all people behind the scenes deserve all the credit for getting games on . in no order bar staff. Groundsmen. Secretary's people on the gate .fund raisers committee members and others I have missed .  .on a personal note have really enjoyed this season following or brisk walking the line for my home town club Hayle after the problems of previous seasons with players leaving and management . with the club fielding local lads and several have come from the youth system  there is a great team spirit .the club had to take a couple of steps back .( losing two sides)  but it has slowly turned the tide . looking forward to next season already .

Shouldn't comment really as supposed to be neutral.

The two teams that have surprised me and shouldn't be in the position they are in the league are Penryn Athletic.and Perranwell.

The two teams punching well above their weight are Helston and Illogan who this season have been very clever with their use of first team players. 

Mullion overachievers Really????? This squad is almost exactly what was put together 3 seasons ago, they won this league simply by working hard on & off the pitch, sticking together & wanting to be winners just like previous league champions.

I think overachievers were Helston they had a great season & credit to Blakey well done mate some cracking results just inconsistent like we have been at Mullion for the previous 2 seasons.

Underachievers is not the word I would use, SURPRISED is probably more suited, for me Redruth as I think when we played them early on in the season & lost 2 nil they looked a very solid & well organised unit which would of been very hard to break down, obviously this changed once a couple of results went against them & players left, credit to them tho new to the league & done really well ...