Cornwall Football Forum

Another one for the officianadoes

ECPL

I do0n't know if anyone watched BT Sport on Friday but in the game between Forest Green Rovers and Aldershot  a goal was cored but was clearly offside.   I'm afraid its one of my favourite gripes against Linsemen.  Until the can do their job right they should not be called assistant referees.

I note the position of the linseman.

First he was five yards behind play when the ball was played through to Forest Green striker who was marginally offside, he then played the ball to the eventual goalscorer who was at least a yard or two offside.  The referee looked at the linesman who did not raise his flag so the goal stood.  When you saw the replay the linesman was yards behind the ball but when you looked at his line of sight both players looked as if they were in line. HENCE MY QUESTION.  Are linesmen sent on courses so that they can understand the laws of the game.because this guy clearly was at fault because he could not keep up with play.  

Oh dear, seems like they will have to re assess their assesments.  I wonder what will happen to this man.  Perhaps they will sit around the table and pat him on the back for getting it totally wrong.   What I don't understand is that a linesman only has to make a handfull of decisions in a match.    

Edited by ECPL

Oh dear, seems like they will have to re assess their assesments.  I wonder what will happen to this man.  Perhaps they will sit around the table and pat him on the back for getting it totally wrong.   What I don't understand is that a linesman only has to make a handfull of decisions in a match.    

A linesman makes more than a few decisions in a game!

but you are correct at that level he should spot situations you described.  I would imagine his mark will reflect the decision, especially as it resulted in a goal, in turn making it a key match incident (sonething which is marked more harshly).

Been there , seen it and done it.  So I don't need any refreshment.  Perhaps it is in the wrong thread but I am becoming increasingly frustrated when I see such mistakes happen on such a regular basis at a higher level.  Linesmen/woman must be taught to keep up with play.   Take another point.  A player is clearly offside the linesman allows play to continue until the player becomes active and raises his flag.  So where is the offence, is it where the player is when he first becomes offside or when he becomes active.  How often do we see the linesman wait before raising his flag which is 20 yards past the offence.  And insists that is where the kick should be taken.   I raise this point because in the Tavistock v Torpoint final where a Tavistock player was offside.  Torpoint take the free kick from where the offence took place. Linesman keeps his flag up.  Referee orders free kick to be taken again.  So Torpoint take the kick from the correct spot again but no, the linesman keeps his flag up.  And once again the kick has to be retaken.  What a farce.  Minutes later a free kick is awarded and is taken 15 yards from the offence and the kick is allowed to be taken.     All players want is consistency.  I appreciate at this level the standards are lower but doing the simple things right is all they have to do.

Edited by ECPL